Sponsored by:

4 way vs 18 way

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 12:11 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Glerald
does that feature also come with 14 ways?
I would imagine so. The only difference between the 14 and 18 ways is that the seat is different as the 18 ways uses the SSP seat and so the extra 4 ways are the in and out or the upper and lower bolsters of the SSP which the SS does not have. Memory etc should all be the same
Old 12-10-2020, 06:38 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 831 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
What a ridiculous comment.

For myself.
18 ways
Thigh support - 5'5" - Don't need it don't use it
Bolster adjustment: Weigh proportional to my height - don't need it don't want it
Lumbar support - Hate it
TIlt: Like my seat horizontal
Memory: I am the only driver - don't need it
Costs 3K more than 4 ways - certainly don't want that

4 ways (For myself)
Has all the adjustments I need and I get to keep 3K in my account - Hell yeah 4 ways is better than 18 ways (For me) - My third Porsche without 18 ways (997, Boxster which was only 2 ways, and now 992) I think if 18 ways was better for me I would know it by now.

Hell I am getting a C2 with PDK - clearly EGO is not my game but not so sure if it isn't yours
What this guy said! LOL.
No seriously though,..I agree that it just depends on the owner and their wants/likes really. For me I am the primary driver of the car...wifey doesn't drive it and likely never will even-though she knows how to drive a stick so 99% of the adjustments are mine. No need to spend $3K on motorized options to move the seats back and forth at the push of a button. Have had the others on my prior 991.1 and though nice to have I rarely ever pushed any other than the #1 setting button and motorized seat movement was slow and did breakdown on me once (fixed under CPO). SO yeah I can see why folks choose 4 ways...also allow other more important things like options! . So yeah I got Sport Seats Plus 4 ways on my 2021 992 S...no issues so far!
The following users liked this post:
markchristenson (12-10-2020)
Old 01-30-2021, 03:03 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

I promise this will be the last time I bring up 4-ways vs 18-ways for the foreseeable future, but my build locks in February and I'm ruminating on options.

I've been daily driving an '04 Tacoma for the last 10 years, with seats that offer two-way manual adjustment (very simple, very barebones). I don't have a bad back, but after 2-4 hours of road tripping my lumbar area gets to aching pretty good.

I know that even the standard sport seat will be light years ahead of my lowly Tacoma seat, but I'm planning to use my 911 for long road trips, and I'd like to avoid the aching lower back that has thus far made the back half of long days driving feel extra long.

So, does the lumbar adjustment of the 18-ways make a substantial difference, or is the 4-way SS+ seat shape supportive enough in the lower back area for several hours at a time? I know everyone's body is different, and seat shape is very much personal preference. I can say that I was able to visit the dealer today and get time in a C2S with 18-ways, and the seat was a great fit. Of course, I have no idea if it was in a default configuration similar to how the 4-way SS+ would have been.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:11 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
I promise this will be the last time I bring up 4-ways vs 18-ways for the foreseeable future, but my build locks in February and I'm ruminating on options.

I've been daily driving an '04 Tacoma for the last 10 years, with seats that offer two-way manual adjustment (very simple, very barebones). I don't have a bad back, but after 2-4 hours of road tripping my lumbar area gets to aching pretty good.

I know that even the standard sport seat will be light years ahead of my lowly Tacoma seat, but I'm planning to use my 911 for long road trips, and I'd like to avoid the aching lower back that has thus far made the back half of long days driving feel extra long.

So, does the lumbar adjustment of the 18-ways make a substantial difference, or is the 4-way SS+ seat shape supportive enough in the lower back area for several hours at a time? I know everyone's body is different, and seat shape is very much personal preference. I can say that I was able to visit the dealer today and get time in a C2S with 18-ways, and the seat was a great fit. Of course, I have no idea if it was in a default configuration similar to how the 4-way SS+ would have been.
I was in a similar situation. I wanted the simpler 4-ways but couldn’t find a build with them so ordered the 18-ways. I think it is wise to sit in them first for awhile to see if they work.

I had 14-ways before, and honestly, I liked them a bit better ONLY because I didn’t need to fumble around with my fingers trying to find the right button for the right adjustment. Maybe with time I’ll become more accustomed to them.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:23 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I was in a similar situation. I wanted the simpler 4-ways but couldn’t find a build with them so ordered the 18-ways. I think it is wise to sit in them first for awhile to see if they work.

I had 14-ways before, and honestly, I liked them a bit better ONLY because I didn’t need to fumble around with my fingers trying to find the right button for the right adjustment. Maybe with time I’ll become more accustomed to them.
Do you find that being able to fine tune the seat as much as you are able on the 18-way makes a difference to you on longer drives? I know you weren't able to get time in SS+ seats to fully compare...and I won't be able to either. :/
Old 01-30-2021, 03:38 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
Do you find that being able to fine tune the seat as much as you are able on the 18-way makes a difference to you on longer drives? I know you weren't able to get time in SS+ seats to fully compare...and I won't be able to either. :/
I make adjustments every time I drive, and especially on long trips. I like adjusting the seat rake and lumbar support, but don’t know if it’s necessary. I leave the thigh support out all the time. I don’t adjust the side bolsters unless I am driving aggressively on a twistie, and it is nice to tighten those in around you. Could I live without all that? I don’t know because it’s rare to find a car without, and chances are you won’t have enough seat time to know for sure. I order a lot of stuff via FOMO, but if you are spending six figures for a car, that 18-way option has little impact.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:43 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 784 Posts

I found 4-ways on previous cars more than adequate for lumbar support and comfort on long drives, but love the ability of my 18-ways to provide more bolstering and extra seat depth with thigh extension (even though I'm 5' 6" the 4-ways are just a smidge too short). Even on 8-hour+ drives never adjust the 18-way seat. Having the auto settings is a must as both my wife and I drive the 992.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:04 PM
findtom
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 88 Posts

I have had the 14 ways (991.1 C2), 4 ways (991.2 GTS) and now have 18 ways on my 992. I think the 18 ways offer similar support as the 4 ways but have a few extra bits around the bottom of the legs. The thing no one has mentioned is the lower seat tilt (squib?) you only get on the 14 and 18 ways. That alone is worth the money in my book. They also have memory function, offer easy access (very useful) and I think they look the best with the "wings" by the shoulders. Do you need 18 ways, no, but on balance I think they are my favourite seats so far.

Also, the 992 18 ways sit quite a bit lower that the 4 ways on the 991.2....

Tom
Old 02-01-2021, 12:22 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 172 Posts

I have 4 way sport plus seats in my daily 992 and I would 100% recommend the 18 ways if I could of it again. I would like more lumbar adjustment for longer drives
Old 02-01-2021, 04:16 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

11 hours in 4 way sport plus seats. No pain, no issues. And I have had recent back issues due to a car accident (not my fault).
Old 03-02-2022, 12:55 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,328 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
You can do as I did. I have set 3 different settings.

1. Relaxed bolstering for better ingress/egress.
2. Tightened bolstering and angling to provide a “build your own bucket” feel for spirited driving
3. Setting that pulls the seat all the way forward and down for “one-touch” access to backseats.

So my standard memory 1 startup is relaxed for normal driving. I just press the memory 2 for some track time or spirited drives.

Full disclosure... my wife has tried talking me into letting her have memory 3 instead of setting it for backseat access.... aaaand she won lol so she has #3 🤪

So other than slow access to back seat and weight gain with 18-ways, they do provide a lot of benefits.
I know this is a very old post, but I just stumbled upon it. Have you considered having a "driver profile" setup for your wife? Like this she can have 3 memorized seat positions of her own while you still keep yours .
Old 03-02-2022, 01:14 PM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 124 Posts

I opted for 4 ways. I’m the only driver so don’t really need memory and the speed of moving the seat forward so I can occasionally get my kid in the back is another plus.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:00 PM
P0RKY
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

If the 4-ways came with memory function, I’d have picked that in a heartbeat. Auto-dipping side mirror when in reverse is actually quite a helpful anti-kerb rash feature.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:54 PM
Gables
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

The only negative with the 4 ways sports plus seats is that you cannot get the 930 sports package. Porsche makes you upgrade to either the 14 way or the 18 way seats.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:26 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by Gables
The only negative with the 4 ways sports plus seats is that you cannot get the 930 sports package. Porsche makes you upgrade to either the 14 way or the 18 way seats.
"Only" is in the eyes of the beholder. Not getting the 930 leather pak is hardly a deal breaker for most. For me, I want the additional 14 ways, as well as the auto dipping.
The following users liked this post:
Gables (03-02-2022)

Quick Reply: 4 way vs 18 way