Sponsored by:

4 way vs 18 way

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 12:52 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Just to be clear I'm comparing the 4 way sport seats versus the 18 ways adaptive sport seat plus
Ah, okay—thanks for the clarification!
Old 06-27-2020, 01:48 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Go sit in them.

The 4 ways feels like you are sitting in the car.

The 18 ways seem a bit floaty as if you are sitting on the car.

Both are comfortable, just sort of depends how you like to feel while in the car.
I find it to be the other way around. 4-way/14-way feels like I'm floating on top of the seat. No bolstering to hug you in, and definitely not the best if you go on spirited drives or track. 4S+/18S+ feels like I'm in the car. YMMV of course

On a side note, I'd say one of the only things I like better about the 18S+ over the 4S+ is being able to configure a "bucket" style seating position (angling the seat bottom & tightening the bolsters). Then you can subsequently save that seating position into one of the memory functions. Having one saved for better ingress/egress, and one saved for "bucket" positioning, and the 3rd memory to help pull the seat all the way forward and down for rear access. The 4S+ can't tilt the seat bottom, or adjust the bolsters. Though 4S+ is the one I'd choose.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:11 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
I find it to be the other way around. 4-way/14-way feels like I'm floating on top of the seat. No bolstering to hug you in, and definitely not the best if you go on spirited drives or track. 4S+/18S+ feels like I'm in the car. YMMV of course

On a side note, I'd say one of the only things I like better about the 18S+ over the 4S+ is being able to configure a "bucket" style seating position (angling the seat bottom & tightening the bolsters). Then you can subsequently save that seating position into one of the memory functions. Having one saved for better ingress/egress, and one saved for "bucket" positioning, and the 3rd memory to help pull the seat all the way forward and down for rear access. The 4S+ can't tilt the seat bottom, or adjust the bolsters. Though 4S+ is the one I'd choose.
I went with the 4s+ for less weight, better bolstering, and no need for a memory function. Also saved enough $$ to add a CF roof which also lowers weight. I also found the s+ seats to allow me to sit lower in the car, I am also 6’1”.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:19 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

I ordered the Sport-Tex interior so my only choices were 4 ways or 18 ways. I went with the 18 ways for a couple of reasons. Both my wife and I will drive the car, so the memory function is important. I'm short and thin (a tad over 5'4 and around 120 pounds), so the more adjustments I have, the better. My wife's 997 has manual fore/aft and height adjustment, and I can never find a super comfortable seating position.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:44 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 74 Posts

To those who enjoy the 4 ways, do you find any difficulty finding a comfortable spot?
Old 06-27-2020, 04:04 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by LifesAnesthesia
To those who enjoy the 4 ways, do you find any difficulty finding a comfortable spot?
Nope. Haven't really touched it since I bought the car.

The seat bottom bolsters may be a little tight if you are generously sized. Fits perfectly for me, but my BMI is normal (which, oddly enough, is not normal in the US)
Old 08-04-2020, 03:05 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

My understanding is that in the 991, the 4-ways sit a bit lower than the 18-ways, perhaps due to less bits and bobs down below the 4-way seats. Do the 4-ways of the 992 also sit lower than the 18-ways?

At 6' & ~175 lbs, I'd like to think 4-ways will give me what I need. The lack of electric adjustment on the steering column and no auto-tilt for the side mirror is a tad annoying (c'mon Porsche, a la carte these things!), but I think I can manage without them. I was initially sold out to 18-ways, but the 4-way/18-way price delta is becoming more glaring to my eye by the day.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:13 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
My understanding is that in the 991, the 4-ways sit a bit lower than the 18-ways, perhaps due to less bits and bobs down below the 4-way seats. Do the 4-ways of the 992 also sit lower than the 18-ways?

At 6' & ~175 lbs, I'd like to think 4-ways will give me what I need. The lack of electric adjustment on the steering column and no auto-tilt for the side mirror is a tad annoying (c'mon Porsche, a la carte these things!), but I think I can manage without them. I was initially sold out to 18-ways, but the 4-way/18-way price delta is becoming more glaring to my eye by the day.
I had 991.2 18ways and now have 992 4-way sports+, I don’t think there’s a height difference, but regardless, I’m 6’4 and have a ton of headroom in both cars (one had sunroof one didn’t).

I actually think the manual steering column adjust is very nice and very much what I want (obviously I’m ok w manual seat controls so no surprise), and while I do miss the reverse mirror dip, I have gotten used to deploying my left fingertip to “manually” tilt it when needed.

You mentioned cost for wanting the 4 ways, but the weight savings is certainly nice too.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:32 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Hp12c
I had 991.2 18ways and now have 992 4-way sports+, I don’t think there’s a height difference, but regardless, I’m 6’4 and have a ton of headroom in both cars (one had sunroof one didn’t).

I actually think the manual steering column adjust is very nice and very much what I want (obviously I’m ok w manual seat controls so no surprise), and while I do miss the reverse mirror dip, I have gotten used to deploying my left fingertip to “manually” tilt it when needed.

You mentioned cost for wanting the 4 ways, but the weight savings is certainly nice too.
Since making the move from 18-way to 4-way, do you miss the lack of adjustment behind the knee area?

Glad to hear you like the manual steering column adjustment. Is it fairly smooth to operate? Every tester I've been in is electric, haven't had the chance to test the operation of a manual steering column in the 992.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:25 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
Since making the move from 18-way to 4-way, do you miss the lack of adjustment behind the knee area?

Glad to hear you like the manual steering column adjustment. Is it fairly smooth to operate? Every tester I've been in is electric, haven't had the chance to test the operation of a manual steering column in the 992.
On the front of the seat, where the 18 ways have an adjustable front piece, designed to support your lower thighs, in my case my legs never touched this no matter how the piece was positioned, in the short or long position, and so therefor I knew missing this wouldn’t be an issue with the 4-ways, but I know other people are shaped or sit in a way that feature is more appreciated.

On the steering column, it’s easy to do, is be shocked if anyone found it cumbersome, though I’m sure if two drivers of different sizes shared the helm they’d appreciate the memory seat/wheel settings.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:33 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

I just learned I do not have reverse passenger side mirror tilt because I have 4 ways. I can live without it. But that's lame. The lack of motorized forward and backward is lame too. I will not do 4 ways again.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:35 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Hp12c
I'm 6'3", my car has 18 ways and a sunroof; no issue at all with headroom and I don't have the seat fully lowered. I also don't have it fully back. I do like the way it moves back and the steering wheel lifts when I get in and out though.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I just learned I do not have reverse passenger side mirror tilt because I have 4 ways. I can live without it. But that's lame. The lack of motorized forward and backward is lame too. I will not do 4 ways again.
That was my favorite feature because it was so easy to slide the seat all the way back getting in and out, without having to wait for an electric motor to go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I've owned all the Porsche seats, many at the same time, and I rank them: LWBs>4 way SS+>18 ways SS+>14ways.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:31 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I guess if you change seat settings all the time, it may be a chore but how hard is it to pull the lever and slide the seat? And it's way faster. Once I set the seat, I don't move it much and getting in the back with a motor is tiresome. Especially if you are getting things in and out. Sliders is one of the reasons I got 4 ways.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:29 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
I guess if you change seat settings all the time, it may be a chore but how hard is it to pull the lever and slide the seat? And it's way faster. Once I set the seat, I don't move it much and getting in the back with a motor is tiresome. Especially if you are getting things in and out. Sliders is one of the reasons I got 4 ways.
Its not about how hard or easier it is. Its just silly to me that they will go up or down motorized. They will tilt the back motorized. But if I want to move forward or back I got to shimmy? For what we pay for these, they should come with 18 ways and comfort access as a standard IMO.

The big *** handle is ugly too. Plus it gets in the way of my custom cup holder. lol.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 08-04-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 4 way vs 18 way