Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless CarPlay - not in all 992s - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 08:05 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts

A few updates (in case somebody is still following/and/or looking for an answer to a similar problem):

By now, my car's PCM/Infotainment unit has been exchanged and so has been the PCM screen. They didn't change the PCM unit twice, as they first told me erroneously, the second time was for the PCM screen.

I still haven't got the second, 5 GHZ WiFI SSID (only the 2,4 GHz one). Unsurprisingly, the wireless CarPlay is still not working. Still no clear answer from Porsche, whether the car should have it in the first place or not. It's almost like back to square one. I don't understand, why it is so difficult...

I wish somebody could just tell me, if the car ought to have it or not. And if not, what is the reason for that.

According to its build sheet, my car seems to have the exact same hardware as the newer builds so, per my research, if something is missing or it's faulty, it could be a thing called OCU (Online Communications Unit) that may or may not contain the WiFi router of the car, and it should, in fact, be a dual-band router for the wireless CarPlay to function. Naturally, the dealership has no knowledge whatsoever, when I mention these, even though the information is readily available on the internet. I feel helpless, almost ready to give up... You got me, you bastards..

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 12-20-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:07 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry to hear there has been no progress. Don't give up yet. Hope springs eternal.
The following users liked this post:
TheGreatJ (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:24 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Sorry to hear there has been no progress. Don't give up yet. Hope springs eternal.
Thanks, John! Appreciate your kind words. That last sentence is imbued with such a strength.

I am not the giving-up type, but it starts to wear me out, when I have to explain the same things over and over again to the dealership and Porsche hotline people, without having anyone take it seriously to the extent that they would actually find out, what's going on. I will still keep on insisting that they give me an answer, if nothing else. We shall see...
jfr0317 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:44 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
Thanks, John! Appreciate your kind words. That last sentence is imbued with such a strength.

I am not the giving-up type, but it starts to wear me out, when I have to explain the same things over and over again to the dealership and Porsche hotline people, without having anyone take it seriously to the extent that they would actually find out, what's going on. I will still keep on insisting that they give me an answer, if nothing else. We shall see...
For what's worth, the CarPlay is easy to find with PIWIS 3, under MIB module. See the attached picture (goggle product highlighted, apple just next to it). There's another entrance, just before that. Bottom line, if the hardware is there, coding should be easy for a dealer.
Attached Images  

Last edited by John Mclane; 12-20-2020 at 09:18 PM.
jfr0317 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 09:04 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by John Mclane
For what's worth, the CarPlay is easy to find with PIWIS 3, under MIB module. See the attached picture (goggle product highlighted, apple just next to it). There's another entrance, just before that. Bottom line, if the hardware is there, coding should be easy for a dealer.
@John Mclane, thanks for the info, sounds comforting. Could you check if the attachment disappeared somewhere along the way? I can't see it, unfortunately.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:19 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
@John Mclane, thanks for the info, sounds comforting. Could you check if the attachment disappeared somewhere along the way? I can't see it, unfortunately.
It's back there.
The following 2 users liked this post by John Mclane:
jfr0317 (12-20-2020), TheGreatJ (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 06:56 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

It's back there.
Cheers! You would think it wouldn't be too difficult for the dealership to test the function of the wireless CarPlay with the help of that PIWIS 3 setting. You would think... I have to show this picture to them, perhaps it will help!

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 12-21-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:03 AM
Lee8084
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 29 Posts

Trying to help, I took the following just now from my phone. I don’t have issues and see both the standard and 5ghz WiFi in the car. Can you simply show a picture like this to Porsche or look at one of their cars in stock?

Old 12-21-2020, 08:45 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by Lee8084
Trying to help, I took the following just now from my phone. I don’t have issues and see both the standard and 5ghz WiFi in the car. Can you simply show a picture like this to Porsche or look at one of their cars in stock?
Thanks, I have actually done this. Plus, I've sent a ton of other reference material and pictures too. For a long time, they didn't have any new 911s in stock (now they finally do again), so that they could have checked from a similar car how it's supposed to be. I asked them to use their other cars as an example, because it's basically the same set-up with all modern Porsches. Unfortunately, this hasn't helped either. I think that by now they understand that the car is supposed to transmit two WiFi SSIDs but they just don't want to believe that it's supposed to be like that with my car too...
Old 12-21-2020, 09:24 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There's an entrance on PIWIS specific for 5ghz Wi-Fi. The whole thing almost looks like your car is still in production mode, but any dealer worth it's salt would have checked that.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:03 AM
reyesanders
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi all, I too experienced connection issues with wireless carplay and somehow got fixed when I activated my Porsche Connect account and went through the new car set up. However Still didn't solve a known issue whereby the car's PCM kicks the phone off of Wifi and will not connect to the Porsche server. I called Porsche and they advised this is part of a larger server issue on their end. So to what others have mentioned, I expect a big software update from Porsche soon. I hope this helps troubleshoot.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:36 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

--

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 12-21-2020 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Removed double-post that was posted for some weird reason...
Old 12-21-2020, 11:37 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

There's an entrance on PIWIS specific for 5ghz Wi-Fi. The whole thing almost looks like your car is still in production mode, but any dealer worth it's salt would have checked that.
Yeah, I sure hope they have checked that already, as there's an entirely new PCM unit now in place and the software has been re-installed at least twice. Of course, it's possible that they would have put it into demo mode again after the installation... Wouldn't necessarily surprise me. It's really hard to assess these things, because the dealership doesn't clearly express what they have done to it, e.g. whether they have just booted the system or re-installed a part of the software or the entire OS.. Who knows at this point.

But I could try to ask them, whether they can access or see the 5 GHz section with the PIWIS at all. Sounds peculiar, if they hadn't done this already, if they knew at least one bit about how CarPlay is supposed to work. In reality, I doubt that they do, and even if I ask, they won't understand what I am trying to ask them to do. We shall see...

Apologies, I wouldn't want to sound too negative, but this whole thing has become totally kafkaesque at this stage.

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 12-21-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:59 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's a pic from PIWIS 3 with the 5ghz option.
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2020, 11:03 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Replied to wrong thread

Last edited by jfr0317; 12-22-2020 at 11:05 PM. Reason: relied to wrong thread

Quick Reply: Wireless CarPlay - not in all 992s - Help!