Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless CarPlay - not in all 992s - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 08:44 AM
Principissimo
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

First production cars did not have the possibility to use carplay without cable
If your is one of them no chance to do it
Old 06-24-2020, 09:31 AM
Kleim
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, I I hate to state the obvious but CarPlay is an Apple product and if you go to Apple‘s support pages they very clearly explain how to connect to CarPlay. If you go on your phone to settings general CarPlay you will see the instructions repeated. Porsche also informs you that wireless CarPlay will only work with one phone, they are not too clear if they mean at one time or whether only one phone can be registered to use wireless CarPlay. I cannot get more than one phone to use wireless CarPlay At all, only the most recently added wireless CarPlay phone shows up as a possible. If you just start from the beginning and add the phone and set up Bluetooth it will ask for Bluetooth authentication then it will ask for CarPlay authentication. Under no circumstances do you need to go investigate your various wireless bands. There are Requirements for which phones work with CarPlay and which versions of Apple‘s iOS operating system work with this Porsche. I would check those things first since they are the obvious things. I have a problem with my new 911 not being able to use the built-in Sim card to access cellular connections. I can set everything up using a wireless or other type of connection, so there might be something wrong with the way the Sim card is set up with the AT&T Provider or possibly the cellular antenna is not connected properly. And anyway it works fine with another Sim card and this is not at all related to any problems with CarPlay.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:39 AM
Kleim
Track Day

Originally Posted by John Mclane
You'd be surprised how much they are lacking in knowledge.
I had to insist with an "advanced" assistant from Porsche connect that wireless CarPlay required BT and WiFi. He insisted that WiFi was not needed. I had to take screen captures to show its required.
Dealer and Porsche connect assistance is hit or miss, way more miss. Ideally you'd get there knowing your stuff so they don't BS you away, rendering multiple trips. So here it goes:

CarPlay starts with BT, deals data with WiFi. On Porsche it uses the 5ghz option, not 2.4 (TrackPrecision app uses only that one, rendering it useless on wireless CarPlay, but that's a different issue it serves to show their competence).

Having an external or internal sim card is irrelevant as it's a direct connection to the phone. You can take the sim card away and the car WiFi should still connect to the phone. Make sure that the hotspot is made available in your PCM. Think of a router still connected to devices even if the cable modem is out. They are connected on an intranet without external connection.
I mention the things above bc it seems that is the troubleshoot sequence they use.
Let us know how it goes.
older but updated link explaining use of wireless. https://connectedcarlife.com/tech/ho...-carplay-work/
The following users liked this post:
TheGreatJ (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 09:48 AM
Kleim
Track Day

Also iPhones use 802.11ax which allows simultaneous multi band usage. You should never need to disable any band, even 2.4. See apple’s documentation. I do believe that CarPlay, like all current techs, uses the 5gz band, 2.4 is still only used by nanny cams and such, as far as I can ascertain. Don’t mess up the phone, check your garage door opener or cameras first.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kleim:
aggie57 (06-24-2020), TheGreatJ (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 09:49 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Kleim
older but updated link explaining use of wireless. https://connectedcarlife.com/tech/ho...-carplay-work/
I actually sent that very link to the "advanced" Porsche connect person.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:53 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 826 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by French Blue

The good news is that they stated that Porsche has informed them that a fairly substantial software update is coming, which should fix the CarPlay issue.
GOD I PRAY THIS IS TRUE AND SOON! 🤞🏻

I hope they just don't kick the can down the road and wait for the 992.2 .. It's like Porsche put all of their flunky engineers on the PCM for the 911's.. I mean in 2020, how hard is this?
Old 06-24-2020, 11:06 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Principissimo
First production cars did not have the possibility to use carplay without cable
If your is one of them no chance to do it
I am not saying that I don't believe you but do you have any more information regarding this? What is the source stating this and what is the difference in technologies between the first production cars and later ones? In theory every 992s should have all necessary tech (and software) to allow use of Wireless CarPlay. It's not super complicated. Previously I "updgraded" one of my BMW M cars to enable wireless CarPlay just by adding a WiFi antenna into the central unit.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:14 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by Kleim
OK, I I hate to state the obvious but CarPlay is an Apple product and if you go to Apple‘s support pages they very clearly explain how to connect to CarPlay. If you go on your phone to settings general CarPlay you will see the instructions repeated. Porsche also informs you that wireless CarPlay will only work with one phone, they are not too clear if they mean at one time or whether only one phone can be registered to use wireless CarPlay. I cannot get more than one phone to use wireless CarPlay At all, only the most recently added wireless CarPlay phone shows up as a possible. If you just start from the beginning and add the phone and set up Bluetooth it will ask for Bluetooth authentication then it will ask for CarPlay authentication. Under no circumstances do you need to go investigate your various wireless bands. There are Requirements for which phones work with CarPlay and which versions of Apple‘s iOS operating system work with this Porsche. I would check those things first since they are the obvious things. I have a problem with my new 911 not being able to use the built-in Sim card to access cellular connections. I can set everything up using a wireless or other type of connection, so there might be something wrong with the way the Sim card is set up with the AT&T Provider or possibly the cellular antenna is not connected properly. And anyway it works fine with another Sim card and this is not at all related to any problems with CarPlay.
You are absolutely correct and at least in my case I've got all the right devices and software versions to allow the use of wireless CarPlay. I am also fully aware of how the connection process goes. However, I cannot seem to initiate the process of establishing the wireless CarPlay connection at all due to PCM prompting that my iPhone wouldn't be connected to WiFi even though it shows up on the PCM's Connected WiFi devices list. According to Apple, Carplay is possible in all 992s but it doesn't state whether wireless or not... https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/ Is there a better documentation available somewhere?
Old 06-24-2020, 11:26 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 826 Likes on 458 Posts

I just got off the phone with Porsche North America customer support.. I gave them an earful about the PCM.

My advise is you all do the same.. They need to hear from owners and we need to let them know we expect (no demand) updates and fixes to this trainwreck of a PCM.
TheGreatJ (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 11:26 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by cymro
My 992 13 months old in UK does not work on Apple car play wireless, although USB is fine. I thought only later build cars have wireless CarPlay. I don’t see a point having wireless car play unless you have a charging mat.
I think we need some evidence that this really would be the case. And the reason why. I am speculating that some dealers may have just said this because they have been experiencing problems with connecting the CarPlay wirelessly. The innards of the cars should be exactly the same and software has been already upgraded so many times that if that in fact was the problem in the beginning, it shouldn't be that anymore. Can you btw see two different Porsche WiFis (2,4 GHz and 5GHz) if you try to search the car through your phone's WiFi search?

I hate having to use the cable because that means every time I go into the car, I have to dig my phone out from the pocket and connect it to the cable (and let me not even mention how many times this has lead into forgetting the phone in the car) . Otherwise I could just keep it there and go about my business without having to worry about plugging my phone in and out, in and out, in and..
Old 06-24-2020, 04:46 PM
hosam
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired a 992 2S that is from German origin. Awesome car. However, as far as I know, I have tried everything to get the CarPlay work wirelessly but it just doesn't seem to be possible on this particular car. (Through the USB cable it works spotlessly though.)

Can someone (preferably both from U.S. and Europe) describe the routine/process to establish the CarPlay link wirelessly between the car and phone in the first place (assuming that it has been successful)? My logic in this is that the cars in Europe and in the U.S. may have some differences, because in some previous threads that I've read, the people who seem to have had CarPlay working wirelessly are all from the U.S....

In relation to above, a few questions if I may:

- Does everybody have two different frequencies for their car's WiFi hotspot? I have seen screenshots on this forum of the car sending out WiFi signal both on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. Mine has only one frequency (or at least my iPhone X only detects one). My rationale says that wireless CarPlay requires those two frequencies to exist simultaneously.

- If so, is there a way to activate both of them? Or alternatively has someone with only one WiFi frequency gotten wireless CarPlay to work?

I've understood that wireless CarPlay should be possible in all 992s regardless of the build date (mine has been built late spring of 2019). I would really appreciate some help here as the requirement to use the USB cable, when all the technology for wireless use exists, is driving me nuts.

Cheers!
I have the exact same problem.. early built.. wireless car play not functioning and i only have 2.4 wifi in the car.. dealer said after trying themselves and failing to wait for a software update.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:06 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

For those without 5ghz in the car, take it to the dealer and try to get the PCM replaced
The following 2 users liked this post by John Mclane:
jfr0317 (06-24-2020), TheGreatJ (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 06:32 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 132 Posts

Wireless CarPlay has actually been quite reliable for me - much more so than wired in my Range Rover. I think the most important thing is that my iPhone is set to auto-join both of the Porsche APs (it may have been covered already, but I think CarPlay requires 5ghz, I assume the 2.4 channel is for hotspot usage).

I agree about HomeLink though...that is the most ridiculous design I have ever seen. I already filed a bug report, but who knows if it will get read. Without a physical button, there is no excuse for them to allow so many bugs in the PCM implementation of it - there should be zero requirement to depend on GPS or syncing/loading the Profiles. At the very least, your default/first profile should always be immediately available when the car starts, and accessible within a widget for one-click access.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:44 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by French Blue
The good news is that they stated that Porsche has informed them that a fairly substantial software update is coming
Originally Posted by 992Sam
GOD I PRAY THIS IS TRUE AND SOON! 🤞🏻

I hope they just don't kick the can down the road and wait for the 992.2 .. It's like Porsche put all of their flunky engineers on the PCM for the 911's.. I mean in 2020, how hard is this?
You guys should check out the latest is@000 they've got a great write up on the 911S. Also, they touch on the dash (obstructed gauges) and simple outline for an easy software update that would easily remedy the issue. Including adding better content to the customization load outs. I'd post the page, but that may be copyright infringement =P
Old 06-24-2020, 11:59 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
You guys should check out the latest is@000 they've got a great write up on the 911S. Also, they touch on the dash (obstructed gauges) and simple outline for an easy software update that would easily remedy the issue. Including adding better content to the customization load outs. I'd post the page, but that may be copyright infringement =P
Saw that—good thoughts from the crew at 000.

It is amazing to me that there is not more time spent on the UI/UX given where we are today and the trails blazed 40 years ago in the tech world. But I guess it isn’t deemed to be a profit center or a differentiator therefore they just slap some functionality on place and call it good.
Todd C (06-28-2020)

Quick Reply: Wireless CarPlay - not in all 992s - Help!