Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless CarPlay - not in all 992s - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 02:04 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts
Angry Wireless CarPlay - not in all 992s - Help!

Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired a 992 2S that is from German origin. Awesome car. However, as far as I know, I have tried everything to get the CarPlay work wirelessly but it just doesn't seem to be possible on this particular car. (Through the USB cable it works spotlessly though.)

Can someone (preferably both from U.S. and Europe) describe the routine/process to establish the CarPlay link wirelessly between the car and phone in the first place (assuming that it has been successful)? My logic in this is that the cars in Europe and in the U.S. may have some differences, because in some previous threads that I've read, the people who seem to have had CarPlay working wirelessly are all from the U.S....

In relation to above, a few questions if I may:

- Does everybody have two different frequencies for their car's WiFi hotspot? I have seen screenshots on this forum of the car sending out WiFi signal both on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. Mine has only one frequency (or at least my iPhone X only detects one). My rationale says that wireless CarPlay requires those two frequencies to exist simultaneously.

- If so, is there a way to activate both of them? Or alternatively has someone with only one WiFi frequency gotten wireless CarPlay to work?

I've understood that wireless CarPlay should be possible in all 992s regardless of the build date (mine has been built late spring of 2019). I would really appreciate some help here as the requirement to use the USB cable, when all the technology for wireless use exists, is driving me nuts.

Cheers!

Old 06-23-2020, 02:45 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Wireless CarPlay uses 5ghz connection as well as the BT. I'm not sure about Europe, but in the Us all 992s have it.

Try deleting the phone from the device manager. Also delete the BT connection on the phone and car.

On the settings-general-CarPlay, press the speech key at the steering wheel (sometimes not needed) and follow the prompts on the phone and PCM.

One hint that helps, check on your WiFi list on the phone if both 2.4 and 5 are there. If 5 is not you may be stuck in demo mode. Happened to me in 3 different cars, it would require dealer intervention. If both are there, setup 5 to connect automatically (auto join toggle) and the opposite for 2.4.
The following users liked this post:
TheGreatJ (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 03:18 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Thanks for the quick reply!

This is my exact problem. I can see only one Porsche frequency on my phone's WiFi list (no idea which one it is.) So perhaps I am indeed stuck in the demo mode. Is there any way to confirm this myself (i.e. can it be verified somewhere in the PCM)?

My phone connects to this one WiFi that I can see successfully and the car lists my phone as a connected device on the Connected WiFi Devices list. However, when I try to initiate the CarPlay from the Device Manager, it prompts me that I first need to have a device connected either through WiFi or USB (as if my phone wasn't connected at all). Initiating the process from the speech key on the steering wheel doesn't work either. It merely opens the CarPlay background on my phone (but no functionalities whatsoever) as well as Siri but it doesn't do anything else. I have tried multiple different ways to connect and disconnect the devices. Plus I've used CarPlay successfully wirelessly in other cars before so at least I think I know what I am doing... :-)

I had another problem earlier (perhaps related). My car's embedded SIM card didn't connect to internet at all when the car arrived to my country (Finland) from Germany. I asked from the Porsche dealer in Germany had it worked there normally before and it had. This is still not solved as the local dealer nor the Porsche Connect Hotline were unable to help me (it seems that the dealer here doesn't know anything about software or PCM related issues).. Tried to ask about this CarPlay thing too and they just threw their hands up in the air immediately...jeez! I was able to work around this temporarily by installing an external SIM card that did the trick. Now I am thinking that the demo mode could be the culprit behind this as well!

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 06-23-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:52 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't think there's a way to tell on the PCM if you're stuck in demo mode.
Now with more info, your issues may be more complicated. Different countries have different laws for RF. I'm not sure if being in the EU would be enough to unify the German and Finnish rules.

The way I see you have too many variables. It's time for a visit to the dealer. There you can check for demo mode or attempt to change the country of residence in the PCM (I have no evidence if that matters). Also check (with a phone call or email) if your car actually has wireless CarPlay. You could alternatively check the builder for the 911 in both countries and see if wireless CarPlay is a separate option. Or write the dealer and ask for a full VIN decode (not the same as vin analytics, it's a long list of codes).

I personally don't use the eSIM bc of the lame provider. You may be having issues with it bc of the cell channels used in DE vs Finland. Again, I cannot be certain on how the RF rules are between EU countries.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:34 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Thanks again,

Regarding RF rules and cell channel technology within EU and between Germany and Finland should all be the same, I already checked that and can confirm by having travelled between the two countries frequently in the past. Any EU car (and embedded SIM) should work just fine in another EU country (as confirmed by Porsche when I asked). There's no separate option for wireless CarPlay either in the countries in question. I've previously bought other cars from Germany as well and their embedded SIMs have always worked without an issue. One thing left that I am wondering is that if some spring 2019 builds might be missing some WiFI functionalities such as the double frequency for instance.

I guess the real problem is that I already tried to ask help from the dealer but they said that they would be unable to help with these issues. Porsche Connect Hotline opened a ticket in their system about the SIM card problem a week ago and haven't heard back from them yet. However, I will try another Porsche Center to see if they would have more knowledge regarding the CarPlay problem. AFIK, all 992s should have the CarPlay and all the references in the Driver's Manual and the functionalities of the PCM also confirm that. I just don't understand why my car doesn't show the WiFI on those two frequencies as yours. Maybe someone from the EU may have had similar issues? Please, chime in if so. For some reason many EU based forum members seem to primarily talk about using CarPlay via the USB cable in other threads concerning this topic.

All in all, these are really weird issues that I am having and will definitely continue to push the dealer to help me (and report back here once I get them figured out). The car is under full new car's warranty after all. Luckily driving it continues to be a blast otherwise!
Old 06-23-2020, 04:52 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
Thanks again,

Regarding RF rules and cell channel technology within EU and between Germany and Finland should all be the same, I already checked that and can confirm by having travelled between the two countries frequently in the past. Any EU car (and embedded SIM) should work just fine in another EU country (as confirmed by Porsche when I asked). There's no separate option for wireless CarPlay either in the countries in question. I've previously bought other cars from Germany as well and their embedded SIMs have always worked without an issue. One thing left that I am wondering is that if some spring 2019 builds might be missing some WiFI functionalities such as the double frequency for instance.

I guess the real problem is that I already tried to ask help from the dealer but they said that they would be unable to help with these issues. Porsche Connect Hotline opened a ticket in their system about the SIM card problem a week ago and haven't heard back from them yet. However, I will try another Porsche Center to see if they would have more knowledge regarding the CarPlay problem. AFIK, all 992s should have the CarPlay and all the references in the Driver's Manual and the functionalities of the PCM also confirm that. I just don't understand why my car doesn't show the WiFI on those two frequencies as yours. Maybe someone from the EU may have had similar issues? Please, chime in if so. For some reason many EU based forum members seem to primarily talk about using CarPlay via the USB cable in other threads concerning this topic.

All in all, these are really weird issues that I am having and will definitely continue to push the dealer to help me (and report back here once I get them figured out). The car is under full new car's warranty after all. Luckily driving it continues to be a blast otherwise!
You could be in demo mode, go to the dealer and ask them to check for that. Again, 3x it happened to me. They commonly forget that at PDI. Reset everything as mentioned above and start from naught at the dealer. Worst case they open a ticket and May end up replacing the PCM if needed. That also happened to my prior (991.2) bc of unstable BT connection, which resolved with replacement.
TheGreatJ (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 04:54 PM
Lee8084
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 29 Posts

Also ensure you have Siri enabled on your iPhone. This was stopping me from using wireless CarPlay.
TheGreatJ (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 06:20 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Siri is (and has been) enabled but good point!
Old 06-23-2020, 08:37 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
Thanks for the quick reply!

This is my exact problem. I can see only one Porsche frequency on my phone's WiFi list (no idea which one it is.) So perhaps I am indeed stuck in the demo mode. Is there any way to confirm this myself (i.e. can it be verified somewhere in the PCM)?

My phone connects to this one WiFi that I can see successfully and the car lists my phone as a connected device on the Connected WiFi Devices list. However, when I try to initiate the CarPlay from the Device Manager, it prompts me that I first need to have a device connected either through WiFi or USB (as if my phone wasn't connected at all). Initiating the process from the speech key on the steering wheel doesn't work either. It merely opens the CarPlay background on my phone (but no functionalities whatsoever) as well as Siri but it doesn't do anything else. I have tried multiple different ways to connect and disconnect the devices. Plus I've used CarPlay successfully wirelessly in other cars before so at least I think I know what I am doing... :-)

I had another problem earlier (perhaps related). My car's embedded SIM card didn't connect to internet at all when the car arrived to my country (Finland) from Germany. I asked from the Porsche dealer in Germany had it worked there normally before and it had. This is still not solved as the local dealer nor the Porsche Connect Hotline were unable to help me (it seems that the dealer here doesn't know anything about software or PCM related issues).. Tried to ask about this CarPlay thing too and they just threw their hands up in the air immediately...jeez! I was able to work around this temporarily by installing an external SIM card that did the trick. Now I am thinking that the demo mode could be the culprit behind this as well!
The SSID for the 2.4 GHz network will say Porsche WLAN (plus a unique numeric identifier). The one for 5 GHz will say Porsche WLAN 5 GHz (plus a unique numeric identifier). Based on my experience, the wireless CarPlay uses the 5 GHz network. If you are only seeing the 2.4 GHz network SSID, that would seem to explain why your iPhone is not connecting via CarPlay. I agree with the other posters who suggest you work with Porsche to resolve this. Hopefully, telling them you are not seeing the 5 GHz network SSID will help them in solving this.
The following 2 users liked this post by jfr0317:
G650 (06-24-2020), TheGreatJ (06-24-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 08:54 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You'd be surprised how much they are lacking in knowledge.
I had to insist with an "advanced" assistant from Porsche connect that wireless CarPlay required BT and WiFi. He insisted that WiFi was not needed. I had to take screen captures to show its required.
Dealer and Porsche connect assistance is hit or miss, way more miss. Ideally you'd get there knowing your stuff so they don't BS you away, rendering multiple trips. So here it goes:

CarPlay starts with BT, deals data with WiFi. On Porsche it uses the 5ghz option, not 2.4 (TrackPrecision app uses only that one, rendering it useless on wireless CarPlay, but that's a different issue it serves to show their competence).

Having an external or internal sim card is irrelevant as it's a direct connection to the phone. You can take the sim card away and the car WiFi should still connect to the phone. Make sure that the hotspot is made available in your PCM. Think of a router still connected to devices even if the cable modem is out. They are connected on an intranet without external connection.
I mention the things above bc it seems that is the troubleshoot sequence they use.
Let us know how it goes.
TheGreatJ (06-24-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 09:20 PM
French Blue
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

According to my dealer (I believe the largest in Southern California, and by extension one of the largest in the world), wireless CarPlay is simply not ready for prime time on the 992.

They said that on some cars it can be easily set up, but there are always usability issues (not connecting later, dropping out, etc), while on other cars, even the initial set up seems impossible (the problem you seem to be experiencing). They have only observed an easy setup and faultless usability a handful of times. Apparently, wireless Apple CarPlay setting up easily and working flawlessly is just very, very uncommon on the 992, as of now.

In fact, issues with wireless CarPlay are so much the norm that they have not even been bothering to attempt setup during the delivery process... instead they are opting to give clients a USB-Lightning cable for wired CarPlay.

The good news is that they stated that Porsche has informed them that a fairly substantial software update is coming, which should fix the CarPlay issue.

Again, this is just what my dealership told me.

Anyway, with that in mind, I’m just not worrying about the whole wireless debacle, using wired CarPlay for now, and will get the update when it drops.

I’m hoping the update also addresses the HomeLink issues... and perhaps even the god-awful Comfort Access problems, although I’m pretty sure the latter is just the result of either ****-poor sensors or ****-poor placement/installation of sensors...

Last edited by French Blue; 06-24-2020 at 05:21 AM.
jfr0317 (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 10:59 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by French Blue
According to my dealer (I believe the largest in Southern California, and by extension one of the largest in the world), wireless CarPlay is simply not ready for prime time on the 992.

They said that on some cars it can be easily set up, but there are always usability issues (not connecting later, dropping out, etc), while on other cars, even the initial set up seems impossible (the problem you seem to be experiencing). They have only observed an easy setup and faultless usability a handful of times. Apparently, wireless Apple CarPlay setting up easily and working flawlessly is just very, very uncommon on the 992, as of now.

In fact, issues with wireless CarPlay are so much the norm that they have not even been bothering to attempt setup during the delivery process... instead they are opting to give clients a USB-Lightning cable for wired CarPlay.

The good news is that they stated that Porsche has informed them that a fairly substantial software update is coming, which should fix the CarPlay issue.

Again, this is just what my dealership told me.

Anyway, with that in mind, I’m just not worryIn about the whole wireless debacle, using wired CarPlay for now, and will get the update when it drops.

I’m hoping the update also addresses the HomeLink issues... and perhaps even the god-awful Comfort Access problems, although I’m pretty sure the latter is just the result of either ****-poor sensors or ****-poor placement/installation of sensors...
While I am certain you are correct in every word. I will say, that the wireless CarPlay in my 992 (I had remote delivery from 300 miles away, dropped off the car, and I was left to do everything). However being a technical type, I will say that wireless CarPlay is the best I have seen in any implementation (for me). No issues, no drops, no quarks, no nothing) - works 100% all the time. Love it. Took me all of 30 seconds to set it up - it does it on its own.

I do understand when it doesn't work, it is a nightmare, but for some (like me) not 1 issue.
The following 4 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
dribar (12-21-2020), French Blue (06-24-2020), jfr0317 (06-23-2020), Patriot (06-26-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 05:20 AM
French Blue
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
While I am certain you are correct in every word. I will say, that the wireless CarPlay in my 992 (I had remote delivery from 300 miles away, dropped off the car, and I was left to do everything). However being a technical type, I will say that wireless CarPlay is the best I have seen in any implementation (for me). No issues, no drops, no quarks, no nothing) - works 100% all the time. Love it. Took me all of 30 seconds to set it up - it does it on its own.

I do understand when it doesn't work, it is a nightmare, but for some (like me) not 1 issue.
That’s awesome. I have honestly not even tried to set mine up, because I didn’t want to get aggravated, ha ha. Maybe I’ll try it just for kicks. Who knows, maybe it’ll be great with mine too...
Old 06-24-2020, 06:22 AM
cymro
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 992 13 months old in UK does not work on Apple car play wireless, although USB is fine. I thought only later build cars have wireless CarPlay. I don’t see a point having wireless car play unless you have a charging mat.
Bolle SC (02-23-2021)
Old 06-24-2020, 07:56 AM
G650
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 101 Posts

I live in Southern California and have had numerous problems with my iPhone connecting to wireless apple car play. Typically I would get in the car, and immediately after start up the widget on the PCM would say “Apple car play active” , but then after about 30 seconds the PCM would revert to a Bluetooth connection to my phone, and Car play would drop out. I would try to use the connections manager to manually switch on the link, but that wouldn’t work either. Connection via Lighting to USB has always worked without issue.

I took the car into the dealer to have the problem fixed. They ended up having the car for 5 days, before I finally got it back, and the Car play worked..... for about 2 weeks and then it quit again.
I did a lot of research online trying to find a solution until one day I noticed that the phone would keep trying to connect to the 2G car network. I deleted the 2G network off my phone, reset the 5G network connection, and voilá! The connection worked!

Since then my wireless apple car play connection has worked flawlessly.

Notes; my car is a USA model 2019 production year car. Phone is an iPhone X with IOS 13.1.x installed. Using the vehicle’s 5G WiFi network only.

Quick Reply: Wireless CarPlay - not in all 992s - Help!