Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 09:40 AM
zambien
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Question stage 2 requirements?

Originally Posted by M Engineering
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to post up what we have been working on a bit and also post some more technical information as we go along with this so you all can follow along. We have been doing development like this for many years as we did engineering for a large tuning company on the Porsche platform that many may know of.

This weekend we got our 992 C2S on our dyno and started to get some baseline data. Typically when we do development like this we spend a couple days going through stock data and power numbers to see what the factory calibration does not with just 3 pulls but a lot of hot pulls back to back, cooler pulls, better cooling, less cooling to get a feel for how the car responds. During all of the runs we collect a bunch of data that is beyond the scope of what normal loggers would pull like specific parameters that are used in sub functions in code to dictate how the car implements things like boost, timing, fuel etc. This is helpful as with out this you don't really know what the car is doing and are more or less flying blind.

So I will start the thread with pics of the car on the dyno. We will upload more data later today or tomorrow. Lots of interesting things learned during this process that we can't wait to share with you all! Lots more stuff to come on the 992 for custom features and calibrations. This is all done at World Motorsports wind tunnel dyno which is one of the most advanced dyno facilities in the US, so the data that we gather is very accurate.

So stay tuned for all the cool stuff to come!
What are the requirements for stage 2 on a 992 c2? I'd love to get some 200 cell sport cats or bypass pipes (no emissions county) and go for stage 2 with the PSE wide open at low RPMs. Have you all tested that configuration?
Old 11-29-2022, 10:56 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,523 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by zambien
What are the requirements for stage 2 on a 992 c2? I'd love to get some 200 cell sport cats or bypass pipes (no emissions county) and go for stage 2 with the PSE wide open at low RPMs. Have you all tested that configuration?
That mod would be Stage 2. We have done lots of these!
PM me and we can get you setup with M-Tuner and our Black Friday special.

-Charles@M
Old 07-25-2023, 09:51 AM
zambien
Advanced

Just wanted to send a note of thanks to M-Engineering. Going with a Stage 1 tune on a 992 C2, I felt that the torque in the middle was a bit too much compared to HP at the top of the RPM range, as power dropped off around 5500 RPM.

Charles and Scott sent me an updated file which has a nice power bump all the way through the range and feels very linear. There is less torque down low from the stage 1 map, but still more than stock. I don't have dragy or a dyno near me but my butt dyno is well satisfied! The linear feeling and power delivery work really well and is exactly what I was looking for. I'll call it a stage 0.75 map. I'd be curious if they have done the same for other C2 folks.

Thanks Guys!
The following users liked this post:
Tompoodie (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 11:06 AM
stiff///M
Racer

Received 501 Likes on 196 Posts

Just wanted to send a note of thanks to M-Engineering. Going with a Stage 1 tune on a 992 C2, I felt that the torque in the middle was a bit too much compared to HP at the top of the RPM range, as power dropped off around 5500 RPM.

Charles and Scott sent me an updated file which has a nice power bump all the way through the range and feels very linear. There is less torque down low from the stage 1 map, but still more than stock. I don't have dragy or a dyno near me but my butt dyno is well satisfied! The linear feeling and power delivery work really well and is exactly what I was looking for. I'll call it a stage 0.75 map. I'd be curious if they have done the same for other C2 folks.

Thanks Guys!
This is exactly the tune I have talked about it the past and hoped they would make. I'd love to see a dyno of what the power curve looks like. I wanted to call it the "ethos" tune.
The following 2 users liked this post by stiff///M:
Tompoodie (07-25-2023), tourenwagen (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 11:09 AM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,336 Likes on 1,189 Posts

I have this. Very entertaining
Jeahbladejeah (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 03:49 PM
2thHappy
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks Guys!
Do you have PSE, what tanny you have? I have a C2 coming in a couple months and thinking stage 2 (adding slip on exhaust with PSE).
Old 07-25-2023, 04:40 PM
zambien
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2thHappy
Do you have PSE, what tanny you have? I have a C2 coming in a couple months and thinking stage 2 (adding slip on exhaust with PSE).
PDK here with PSE. I chose the fully-open option and it has a nice, deeper sound. I'm considering a Tubi Style slip on at some point but I'm satisfied for now. Note, you must do high-performance cats in addition to the slip-on (or just the cats) to be able to run stage 2 as the cats are the most restrictive part of the exhaust.
Old 07-25-2023, 06:43 PM
Bezlar
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 55 Posts

We have sport cats and pse. The stage 2 tune is a blast. Sounds great with the valves open all the time.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Bezlar
We have sport cats and pse. The stage 2 tune is a blast. Sounds great with the valves open all the time.
Any drone? A few people have said sport cats with PSE valves open drones at cruising rpm. I was debating just doing cats until I read that.
Old 07-26-2023, 08:30 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Deep
Any drone? A few people have said sport cats with PSE valves open drones at cruising rpm. I was debating just doing cats until I read that.
The sport cats are worth it, just don't option the "always open valves" ... The cats alone will bump the sound quite a bit.
Old 07-26-2023, 09:29 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Malakas
The sport cats are worth it, just don't option the "always open valves" ... The cats alone will bump the sound quite a bit.
I really have 2 options:

1. 100 Cell Cats with PSE Valves open (or maybe not fully open?), ME Stage 2
2. Stock Cats with JCR Valved with valves fully open, ME Stage 1

Every time I think I made a decision I flip flop. The 20 extra whp isn’t a huge decider. Extra turbo whistle and better throttle response is nice on the cats. As is the titanium sound on the JCR. Both together are way too loud for me as I’ve heard a few, so I’ll have to choose one.

No emissions testing in Florida.
tourenwagen (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 10:03 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

I really have 2 options:

Every time I think I made a decision I flip flop. The 20 extra whp isn’t a huge decider. Extra turbo whistle and better throttle response is nice on the cats. As is the titanium sound on the JCR. Both together are way too loud for me as I’ve heard a few, so I’ll have to choose one.

I am running Kline 200 cell cats + JCR valved + ME Stage 2.... and love the tone / volume. That said, the sound of an exhaust is solely based on individual taste. I did not like it with the "valve mod" - thought there was a touch of drone and maybe a bit too loud, too often... but with the stock PSE programming, the setup is really only screaming past 4k RPM at WOT... otherwise its not a whole lot louder than my buddies M8, stock exhaust, it when you jump on it - it REALLY moves.

I think the nice part about the Stage 2 tune, is that it makes strong power all the way to the redline. Some others have said the torque in the mid portion of the power band in the Stage 1 tune can overwhelm the power up top.... I never had a stage 1 so I cant comment, but the shape of the power band was very important to me - ME2 certainly has nice, linear power.

Last edited by Malakas; 07-26-2023 at 10:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Malakas:
Master Deep (07-26-2023), tourenwagen (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 11:20 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Malakas
I am running Kline 200 cell cats + JCR valved + ME Stage 2.... and love the tone / volume. That said, the sound of an exhaust is solely based on individual taste. I did not like it with the "valve mod" - thought there was a touch of drone and maybe a bit too loud, too often... but with the stock PSE programming, the setup is really only screaming past 4k RPM at WOT... otherwise its not a whole lot louder than my buddies M8, stock exhaust, it when you jump on it - it REALLY moves.

I think the nice part about the Stage 2 tune, is that it makes strong power all the way to the redline. Some others have said the torque in the mid portion of the power band in the Stage 1 tune can overwhelm the power up top.... I never had a stage 1 so I cant comment, but the shape of the power band was very important to me - ME2 certainly has nice, linear power.
Oh wow I didn’t know that Stage 2 is more linear. That might make my decision easier.

Can you increase how much the valves open a little bit or change what rpm they open instead of just full open or factory programming? Like have them open 80% instead of 100%?

Last edited by Master Deep; 07-26-2023 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-26-2023, 11:53 AM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,336 Likes on 1,189 Posts

I really have 2 options:

I have a mix of these and am very happy with the volume/response etc.

Stock Cats with JCR Valved with valves fully open, ME Stage 2.
Old 07-26-2023, 12:20 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tourenwagen
I have a mix of these and am very happy with the volume/response etc.

Stock Cats with JCR Valved with valves fully open, ME Stage 2.
How did you get Stage 2 on stock cats?

Quick Reply: 992 ECU Tuning Development Thread from M-Engineering