992 ECU Tuning Development Thread from M-Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 12:11 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,613 Likes on 5,091 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
Totally dumb question maybe but since you guys clearly can't do too much R&D on the wear and tare this does to the engine.. do you offer any sort of warranty, should there be a failure and Porsche denies the claim due to your ECU flash? Or is one basically SOL should the engine have a catastrophic failure?
Old 06-24-2020, 08:57 AM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
it sounds crazy in the VAG world but companies like Whipple, Roush, Eldebrock actually offer 3rd Party power train Warranties with their Superchargers that increase power over 100 hp .. so its not such a crazy question
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 11:52 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

I'm not interested in a tune that increases HP or torque but would LOVE to be able to eliminate the ridiculous fuel over-run farting/crackling. IMO it's a fad that is well past it's "best by date" and undermines the enjoyment of any car that has it. Yes I know it's most pronounced in Sport mode and can be avoided by using Normal and Sport+, but Sport would be the mode I'd use regularly if not for the farting. AMG and Jaquar are worse than Porsche with the incessant farting, and when querying tuners about modifying just those parameters that cause the over-run, was advised it's pretty easy. How simple would it be to just modify Sport mode in the 992 to eliminate the farting?
Marantz2270 (08-29-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:30 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I'm not interested in a tune that increases HP or torque but would LOVE to be able to eliminate the ridiculous fuel over-run farting/crackling. IMO it's a fad that is well past it's "best by date" and undermines the enjoyment of any car that has it. Yes I know it's most pronounced in Sport mode and can be avoided by using Normal and Sport+, but Sport would be the mode I'd use regularly if not for the farting. AMG and Jaquar are worse than Porsche with the incessant farting, and when querying tuners about modifying just those parameters that cause the over-run, was advised it's pretty easy. How simple would it be to just modify Sport mode in the 992 to eliminate the farting?
Agree with you on that. My 993 occasionally farts, but it's authentic which is much more fun. Not the synthetic farting of the new cars.
gcurnew (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 05:38 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,523 Likes on 549 Posts

We can do this actually quite easy.

-Mitch
Marantz2270 (08-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 12:10 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Testing has continued and got some nice shots of our car with the Volk Racing TE37's on them.

Love them or hate them I think they look great!

The following 3 users liked this post by M Engineering:
dhirm5 (06-29-2020), smartbot (06-29-2020), T3X4S (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 12:12 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 800 Posts

Love the JDM style wheels. Looks the business on the 992.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:55 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Love the JDM style wheels. Looks the business on the 992.

Yes I agree it came out looking very good I think. The 345 in the rear really makes the stance look aggressive, and on track it performs really amazing!

-Mitch
Old 06-29-2020, 01:06 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
Yes I agree it came out looking very good I think. The 345 in the rear really makes the stance look aggressive, and on track it performs really amazing!

-Mitch
What are the wheel and front tire sizes?
Old 07-07-2020, 12:03 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Pics with a GT2RS we tuned making 900whp on upgraded VTG's.

More dev time has also been happening as long as some upgrades that will help the track guys. We have noticed some things that can cause power loss and making ways to help that.

Cheers!

-Mitch
Old 07-07-2020, 12:54 PM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 108 Posts

This isn't directly specifically at M Engineering but the Euro/Exotic market as a whole:

I don't understand the obsession with these tuners and the apprehensive nature towards handheld devices. As someone who's entire company runs on Mac and has so for over a decade, buying a Windows based device to flash a vehicle is a comical idea. Especially so given that domestic vehicles have been tuned on handheld devices for years that have more capabilities than a lot of sub $300 laptops now days. I've worked in the automotive aftermarket corridor me entire adult working life, the lack of OBDII flashing on European vehicles still baffles me given there are so many options/platforms to flash with now days.

Regardless, cheers to pushing the envelope and offering a 992 product. Companies like yours have allowed mine to exist (non sponsor, not naming) for years. I applaud your company's development efforts.

svkarl (09-01-2021)
Old 07-07-2020, 01:25 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JesseRohr
This isn't directly specifically at M Engineering but the Euro/Exotic market as a whole:

I don't understand the obsession with these tuners and the apprehensive nature towards handheld devices. As someone who's entire company runs on Mac and has so for over a decade, buying a Windows based device to flash a vehicle is a comical idea. Especially so given that domestic vehicles have been tuned on handheld devices for years that have more capabilities than a lot of sub $300 laptops now days. I've worked in the automotive aftermarket corridor me entire adult working life, the lack of OBDII flashing on European vehicles still baffles me given there are so many options/platforms to flash with now days.

Regardless, cheers to pushing the envelope and offering a 992 product. Companies like yours have allowed mine to exist (non sponsor, not naming) for years. I applaud your company's development efforts.
We would offer a flashing device, that is the end game of what we are doing.

-Mitch
JesseRohr (07-08-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 04:30 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

When I get a 992 I’ll be pursuing this if at all possible. No synthetic farting for me, please and thank you.

Would tuning out the pops/farts in Sport Mode compromise the factory warranty on the car? That’d be my only concern.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:54 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Development on the 992 platform continues to break through with new advancements . Porsche 992 high speed datalogging is now here!

Old 09-25-2020, 04:52 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Nice to see the data logging capabilities.

Quick Reply: 992 ECU Tuning Development Thread from M-Engineering