Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discounts on 2021 orders

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 12:06 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

I fail to see the issue with asking a dealer for a discount. They are not obligated to give you one. Why is this such an issue? Yes, everyone has to make a profit, but each dealer determines what they want to sell their cars for. I too used to work for a dealer. I know all the ways to to get people to part with their money and make a few extra coin. The point here is They do not have to give you anything and you do not have to buy from them.. No one is pointing a gun and robbing them. So everyone who has an issue with asking for a discount should chill out and move on. it is called Free Enterprise.

”The answer is no if you never ask.”
Old 06-19-2020, 10:50 AM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkb545
When you need brain surgery, your insurance carrier has already haggled with the hospital system.
Ok in the instance of brain surgery you are right, but it is the principal of it. Maybe a better choice would be elective plastic surgery that is not covered by insurance. I am just trying to make a point.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:36 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by phila12180
Ok in the instance of brain surgery you are right, but it is the principal of it. Maybe a better choice would be elective plastic surgery that is not covered by insurance. I am just trying to make a point.
If you are buying something that is "no haggle" it just means someone higher up the food chain did the haggling and reaped the reward. Haggling is business.
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (06-24-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 02:01 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Andyx73
PM sent
Hi there,

can you please pm me details of the salesperson giving 10% for 2021? Thank you so much
Old 06-21-2020, 03:37 PM
smalapas
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you kindly hook me up with the sales person contact , I am looking for the 2021 Thanks
Old 06-21-2020, 03:47 PM
smalapas
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks
Old 06-21-2020, 10:44 PM
Mrkhanna16
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Andyx73
Just put my deposit down woohoo! Not much information given except estimated date ranges from Nov - Jan 2021. Was able to get 10% off.

Can you please pm me salesperson contact info? thanks!!
Old 06-22-2020, 12:55 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by SROUR007
can you PM the Chicago dealer you know that is doing 7-9% and if u have any contact info? Thanks I live in Chicago
Hello, I live downtown and would also like to know...dealers I'm trying to work with can't even get allocations...thanks a lot!
Old 06-24-2020, 03:14 PM
markc911

Received 43 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
This has been discussed to death. Without trunk money or other manufacturer incentives, there’s about 10 percent margin for a dealer on a new car. Cost of ED is about $3500, which needs (in normal circumstances) to be taken off the table when negotiating a discount off MSRP.

Irks me to no end the people here constantly looking to grind dealers on a few points. My guess us the majority of grinders are NOT small business owners but (well paid) wage slaves who have no real understanding of what it takes to run a business. If you give up your margins on the sales side, then you gotta make it up on service. Which is the other ongoing complaint here: high costs of service at the dealer.

No doubt about it in my mind: 911 buyers are some of the cheapest bast***s in the car buying universe.
Thank you for your post @gcurnew!

I sell Porsche's (Porsche Certified Brand Ambassador) and the auto business in general is the only business that I can think of where the consumer does not want the dealership or the salesperson to make a dime. The dealership has overhead just like any other business and employees have expenses just like everyone else. Now I'm all for getting and giving a fair deal. However 10% off does not leave much meat on the bone for the salesperson that depends on that to make ends meet. I retired after 35 years as an Architect, and decided to do something completely different and fun and now sell Porsche's however, I work with a few salespeople that are in their 30's and this is their only source of income. If you can afford a new 911 you can afford to pay the salesperson a living wage. Having said that, I do have two 992 Cabriolet's on the lot if interested PM me.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:27 PM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by markc911

I sell Porsche's (Porsche Certified Brand Ambassador) and the auto business in general is the only business that I can think of where the consumer does not want the dealership or the salesperson to make a dime. The dealership has overhead just like any other business and employees have expenses just like everyone else. Now I'm all for getting and giving a fair deal. However 10% off does not leave much meat on the bone for the salesperson that depends on that to make ends meet. I retired after 35 years as an Architect, and decided to do something completely different and fun and now sell Porsche's however, I work with a few salespeople that are in their 30's and this is their only source of income. If you can afford a new 911 you can afford to pay the salesperson a living wage. Having said that, I do have two 992 Cabriolet's on the lot if interested PM me.
As someone that has retired from the automotive industry after a 45 year career and 30 of those years as a manager I would like to agree with you completely. I made some comments earlier in this post. I also believe that people should have a fair deal when they purchase a vehicle but as you say dealerships have huge overhead. Far higher than the majority people can imagine. The people working at the dealership want to make a decent living too.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:59 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 749 Posts

While I agree with this whole heartedly.. When buying anything new, everyone should get the good side of the deal - fair price for the dealer and fair for the buyer. No disagreements at all.

The rub of this then goes to trade in's - which is where the dealer usually gets the much much better end of this deal. That is what drives the other behavior when negotiating for a new car. Is the back end of getting the same treatment on the dealer side on trade in value.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:26 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by phila12180
As someone that has retired from the automotive industry after a 45 year career and 30 of those years as a manager I would like to agree with you completely. I made some comments earlier in this post. I also believe that people should have a fair deal when they purchase a vehicle but as you say dealerships have huge overhead. Far higher than the majority people can imagine. The people working at the dealership want to make a decent living too.
So, what is the point here? Are we not supposed to ask for a discount? Just pay MSRP and be happy? Did you ever take a deal because you were forced to by the buyer? I too worked in the automotive business and completely understand the overhead cost of running a dealership. New car sales were never the high margin business in our dealership. It was used cars first, then service, then parts. Selling new cars was the method used to feed the other parts of the business where margins are a lot higher. If a dealership does not want to offer a discount, then they say "No haggle" pricing. That means take it or leave it.

Yes, we all want a fair deal for both parties. We all need to make a living. And everyone has choices, buyers and dealers. Free enterprise.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:45 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Customers are free to request discounts, however absurd they may seem. Sales agents are free to accept those discount requests, make a counteroffer on those discount requests, or simply laugh those customers out of the showroom. Requesting a discount is not an act of coercion. No one's arm is getting twisted! If a dealership agrees to a discount request that cuts too much into their bottom line, that's on them. They are totally free to say no and wait for a customer that walks in and pays what the dealership wants for a car.

On top of that, the notion of shaming potential buyers for requesting a discount from a car company's dealerships that have routinely charged hefty ADMs above and beyond MSRP for other cars is outright laughable, and quite frankly hypocritical. "Hey, supply and demand," one might say. That works both ways.

Also, if salespeople who have this as their only source of income don't like the realities of this business and the fact that buyers will attempt to get the best possible deal on a car, then I suggest pursuing an alternative line of work. No one is making them do this for a living.
The following 4 users liked this post by Marantz2270:
CliffClavin (06-24-2020), Drizz (06-24-2020), inastrangeland (06-24-2020), kencalz (06-27-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 06:56 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Same old arguments hashed over ad nauseam by both sides in numerous threads.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:58 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
Same old arguments hashed over ad nauseam by both sides in numerous threads.
You aren't wrong.

Quick Reply: Discounts on 2021 orders