Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with a car on order, what kind of coms have you gotten from your dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 06:09 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalblond
Why would you specifically not want a 4S if you could get one priced down on the lot?
Several very logical reasons and I've driven a C2 and C4S back-to-back to confirm them.

1) I want to emphasize the GT/DD aspects of the car over the sportiness. So I don't want SPASM or the larger wheels.

2) I prefer the smaller turbos on the base cars. The S cars are, for my real world use, too fast.

3) My fully optioned C4 is $125k before discount. Even with a theoretically larger discount I'd pay more for a car not optioned the way I want.

I'm not buying the car to resell it or stick it in a garage, I'm buying it to keep it until it dies and use the heck out of it.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:14 PM
C6Z06to911992
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
I prefer the smaller turbos on the base cars. The S cars are, for my real world use, too fast.
There’s such a thing as too fast?
Old 04-13-2020, 06:19 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06to911992
Sometimes it’s more fun to drive a slower car fast. Sometimes cars are so capable it’s hard to tax them legally. They don’t come alive because you can’t wring them out without being arrested. It’s the reason why some of us love our “low powered” naturally aspirated cars that we can wind out and let it rip.

Not sure if the Carrera vs Carrera S has the same dynamic. Never driven the Carrera.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:36 PM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06to911992
no .. if i financially could i would buy Coy Christmas UGR Lambo or the same setup
Old 04-13-2020, 06:49 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by doug992
no .. if i financially could i would buy Coy Christmas UGR Lambo or the same setup
I'll pipe dream for a Koenigsegg Jesko Absolut if money is no object -- but I will be more than happy with my 992 C4S when it arrives.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:56 PM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

I'll pipe dream for a Koenigsegg Jesko Absolut if money is no object -- but I will be more than happy with my 992 C4S when it arrives.
all things being relative right now .. a 992 is not a bad realty to have
Old 04-13-2020, 08:19 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Originally Posted by doug992
all things being relative right now .. a 992 is not a bad realty to have
Don't get me wrong, my 992 C4S will be tremendously loved and is a reality I am incredibly lucky to attain--but I have to note it started out as a pipe dream for me once as well (actually it's still a pipe dream since it hasn't arrived yet). I do have room for another car though, and if I'm dreaming big and dreaming fast, there is a spot in my heart- only to be shared with my 992 -not in place of- with a Koenigsegg ;-)
Old 04-15-2020, 07:58 AM
Metalblond
Pro

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uropean-plants
Hopefully we will have some answers soon about when Porsche plans to reopen.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:15 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uropean-plants
Hopefully we will have some answers soon about when Porsche plans to reopen.
Thanks for posting this. I hope that they make their decision based solely on science.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:58 PM
SantaFePorsche
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

On the subject of good communication from a dealer and SA - I wanted to give a shout out to Porsche Colorado Springs and James Polyefko. Great communications and professional support through my 992 order. Simply put - I could not ask for better support through these unprecedented times!
The following users liked this post:
Metalblond (04-15-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 11:09 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
When I login to the Porsche website I am able to “track my dream”. Originally when I placed my order (3/4) using one of the dealer’s build slots, I had a lock date of 5/1, and a dealer inventory (close to delivery) date of 7/24. A week or so ago the delivery date had been pushed back to 8/7 or so. I just checked today and it’s showing 9/11. Which would be a great day to get it :-)
Because there's nothing else to do I checked TYD again tonight. The delivery date has now been pushed another week, until 9/18. The lock date is now 6/15 (vs. 5/1) and the delivery date is 9/18. Although it also shows start production/finish production/ready for transport to Emden as all being 7/10.

BTW, not complaining, just sharing the limited data I have in case others are tracking and have dates available as well.
The following users liked this post:
Metalblond (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 04:58 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 787 Posts

Why would you specifically not want a 4S if you could get one priced down on the lot? When I bought my first 911 (991.2) I originally was set on ordering a C4--but decided to try a new C4S that had just come into the dealership. Believe me, I didn't look back after I drove it--it was love at first drive (and I got a great discount on it too since it was on the lot)! Unless you like the exclusivity of a unicorn C4 - it may not be bad to at least check out a 4S if the price is right. You can always say no but you won't know until you try. I'm not saying the C4 isn't worth waiting for, but during these times checking out options may not be a bad thing. BTW...my dealer is saying the same thing. About a one month delay on my car.
C4S power delivery is too frenetic for me, and with SPASM (which many of the lot cars in this neck of the woods have, along with a lot of other options I have no use for, and some which are deal-breakers, such as sunroof) the ride is unnecessarily harsh. I’m getting a C4 (already built) exactly how I want it. Wouldn’t want a C4S even if they swapped my exact C4 build for an S the same price.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:57 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Don't get me wrong- I think the C4 is a great car--but it was a true unicorn for me. Since they couldn't even find an allocation for me in a C4 (this was 2017) they made me a pretty great offer on a C4S that was on the lot. I actually fell in love with it when I drove it--but was just wondering if it would be considered since so many cars are on lots now and there are deals to be had on them. Me, the only thing I absolutely require is a manual transmission, so that took me off the C4 slot for the 992.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:20 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 787 Posts

Don't get me wrong- I think the C4 is a great car--but it was a true unicorn for me. Since they couldn't even find an allocation for me in a C4 (this was 2017) they made me a pretty great offer on a C4S that was on the lot. I actually fell in love with it when I drove it--but was just wondering if it would be considered since so many cars are on lots now and there are deals to be had on them. Me, the only thing I absolutely require is a manual transmission, so that took me off the C4 slot for the 992.
Certainly there are deals to be had, especially if one isn’t too fussy about options. I wouldn’t buy a car with SPASM, any of the sunroof options, RWS, any exterior colours other than Agate or GT Silver and only full black interior (checkered Sport-Tex in black OK). No coloured gauges or belts, and must have 18-way seats. Also has to have surround view camera, Bose, PTV+ and exhaust in black. Other options - such as leather, upgraded headlights, deviated stitching etc. are of no value to me.

Bottom line is while lot cars are generally pretty optioned up, none that I’ve ever seen were built even close to my requirements. Ordering was the only way to get a car I was going to be happy with. Order went in late November and the car was built in late January. Porsche was holding it for European Delivery scheduled for this coming Wednesday, but now it’s in the queue to be sent to my local dealer.

As of Friday, no communication from Porsche in Germany (or update to status in the dealer portal) on the location or expected ship date of the car.

Last edited by gcurnew; 04-19-2020 at 04:25 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:40 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
C4S power delivery is too frenetic for me, and with SPASM (which many of the lot cars in this neck of the woods have, along with a lot of other options I have no use for, and some which are deal-breakers, such as sunroof) the ride is unnecessarily harsh. I’m getting a C4 (already built) exactly how I want it. Wouldn’t want a C4S even if they swapped my exact C4 build for an S the same price.
On the one hand, I love the ease of getting opinions from people on the internet. On the other, it’s maddening sometimes how dogmatic people are, especially when it comes to an option/choice that they bought. That said, I LOVE that you know what you want and are totally satisfied with it. Especially your insistence (for you!) on taking a base model over an S. So much testosterone on here sometimes that it can be maddening and it is great seeing somebody who knows what they want!
The following 4 users liked this post by markchristenson:
AlexCeres (04-18-2020), detansinn (04-19-2020), gcurnew (04-18-2020), smiles11 (04-18-2020)

Quick Reply: For those with a car on order, what kind of coms have you gotten from your dealer?