Sponsored by:

Unstable at speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 06:06 PM
pawnstar
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sbutty45
Hi. Looking for some help. Have a C2S that has done about 3k miles. Bought at Xmas used with 500 miles from Porsche. When driving at speed say 90mph and above I find the car wanders alot around the road. It never feels planted and I have to make steering corrections all the time even though the road is good condition, no real wind and rough 20c weather. I cant pinpoint it but my driving experience tells me something is just not right. Have Goodyear tyres set at 33/38 cold pressure. I did think maybe the tyres are the wrong way round but from reading they are Asymetric and as long as the "wriitng" is on the outside then they can be put on car on either side. Checked for tyre damage and none observed. Could it be alignment? Searched for toe and camber Porsche settings but cant find on this forum. Will take it to tyre centre but wanted to be armed with correct toe and camber values so I can check their work. Is there anything else anyone can think of that needs checking that could produce the symptoms. Appreciate any advice from this great community..
wow. This brings back memories from my manual base 2017 991.2. I remember driving it for the first time from NY to Lime Rock Park in CT for a track day. Man, did I not enjoy the highway cruise. It was pretty horrible, tbh. Almost exactly as what OP describes above. Do not recall the car hunting as bad as OP describes, but directional stability, now that I can compare to 3 Panameras I’ve owned since, I would describe as nervous, finicky. And because the car was lightly insulated, all the noises at higher speeds were amplified, wind hum and tire noise were a major annoyance as well.

Once I got off the highways and onto pristine back roads leading up to the track, however, the car redeemed itself. On track it came alive even more,
but I dreaded the highway ride home. Turned out that I could not warm up to it enough to keep, so I ended up selling the car a few thousand miles later and picking up a base Panamera (best daily car I’ve ever driven, I’ve driven lots) and M4 ZCP manual, my all around track weapon.

Last edited by pawnstar; 04-08-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:09 PM
carson2
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 86 Posts

As a cyclist, perhaps there is an analogy to be made here... A bike made for a race like a crit (think lots of turns, crowded field) has a very short wheelbase and rake/steering geometry that allows the bike to be nimble and instantly change direction. To the uninitiated that bike would be hard to ride and feel 'nervous' and unstable, constantly wanting to turn. A bike for long road races would feel more stable because it is designed to be, with a longer wheelbase and different fork/steering geometry.

Maybe I'm overthinking here, and I've got a feeling alignment issues are in play (because I've never felt the 911 to be squirrely at speed), but this IS a short wheelbase car designed and optimized for the twisty turnies (vs. something like a Panamera or RS7).
Old 04-09-2020, 01:08 AM
GONEIN10
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts
Smile

And so I have Goodyears.... so if HouTexCarrera has Pirellis then we have same issue but different tyres..
if the car is new and under warranty why waste your time. Take it to the dealer and get it checked! Most likely an alignment issue but could also be a bad tire. Then report back
Old 04-09-2020, 03:57 AM
sbutty45
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GONEIN10
if the car is new and under warranty why waste your time. Take it to the dealer and get it checked! Most likely an alignment issue but could also be a bad tire. Then report back
OPC is shut...
Old 04-09-2020, 12:50 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 784 Posts

OPC is shut...
Completely shut down? Dealer here has closed the showroom, but service department is open by appointment.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:52 PM
sbutty45
Advanced

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Completely shut down? Dealer here has closed the showroom, but service department is open by appointment.
yup. Empty...
Old 04-15-2020, 09:32 AM
sbutty45
Advanced

OPC is shut...
quick update:

Managed to get it into a local tyre shop this morning and the alignment is all out on every measure.

At least I know why it wanders on the motorway now. When OPC back open will get it booked it.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:27 AM
sbutty45
Advanced

This was the output. Does it look widely out to everyone else??
Old 04-15-2020, 06:23 PM
GONEIN10
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Front camber and caster are on the mark but toe in looks off. Right rear caster is off as well
Old 04-16-2020, 02:43 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

There is a difference between high speed wandering/vibration and having to pay attention to driving the car. I have an S550 and at 100mph it just sits on the road with one finger on the steering. The 911 is stable at very high speed but you have to pay attention and constantly drive the car. The steering/tire combination can follow irregularities in the pavement and even small potholes can cause a small deflection in the steering. The old air cooled bump steering is long gone, but the 911 is still a driver's car and demands engagement. Now steering wheel vibrations or brake pulling to one side is a different issue. Alignment and tire pressures are first things to check as others have stated.
The following users liked this post:
SamD (04-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Unstable at speed