Sponsored by:

Unstable at speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 06:45 AM
sbutty45
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Unstable at speed

Hi. Looking for some help. Have a C2S that has done about 3k miles. Bought at Xmas used with 500 miles from Porsche. When driving at speed say 90mph and above I find the car wanders alot around the road. It never feels planted and I have to make steering corrections all the time even though the road is good condition, no real wind and rough 20c weather. I cant pinpoint it but my driving experience tells me something is just not right. Have Goodyear tyres set at 33/38 cold pressure. I did think maybe the tyres are the wrong way round but from reading they are Asymetric and as long as the "wriitng" is on the outside then they can be put on car on either side. Checked for tyre damage and none observed. Could it be alignment? Searched for toe and camber Porsche settings but cant find on this forum. Will take it to tyre centre but wanted to be armed with correct toe and camber values so I can check their work. Is there anything else anyone can think of that needs checking that could produce the symptoms. Appreciate any advice from this great community..
Old 04-05-2020, 07:26 AM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 127 Posts

i lowered my tire pressure from 41 front 51 rear (crazy, i know) down to 32/36.
i thought this would solve the "wandering" problem but i still find myself correcting the steering wheel way more than i need to. the car seems very finicky and unstable.
people here said that it could be unbalanced wheels, i took it to the service center and they found nothing wrong with it. they did not seem like they wanted
to perform a balance test. i just took the car home without arguing due to the pandemic.. didn't feel like continuing the conversation.

once this blows over i plan on going back and getting it sorted but the consensus here is unbalanced wheels.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:30 AM
sbutty45
Advanced

Originally Posted by crimewave
i lowered my tire pressure from 41 front 51 rear (crazy, i know) down to 32/36.
i thought this would solve the "wandering" problem but i still find myself correcting the steering wheel way more than i need to. the car seems very finicky and unstable.
people here said that it could be unbalanced wheels, i took it to the service center and they found nothing wrong with it. they did not seem like they wanted
to perform a balance test. i just took the car home without arguing due to the pandemic.. didn't feel like continuing the conversation.

once this blows over i plan on going back and getting it sorted but the consensus here is unbalanced wheels.
Ok thanks. I'm my experience it's not unbalanced wheels but I'll harlge them re done to eliminate. Glad it's not just me!
Old 04-05-2020, 07:47 AM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 127 Posts

Definitely not just you man, I've seen it talked about several times here!
The following users liked this post:
sbutty45 (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 08:22 AM
sbutty45
Advanced

Do you know where I can find factory toe and camber settings? Cant find in good to know App...
Old 04-05-2020, 09:47 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

you don't need no stinking dealer to tell you if your tires are out of balance-
Old 04-05-2020, 10:34 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Not a 992 owner but try lowering pressures to 31x34. Car should be stable from the factory. Not a fan of Pirellis and not familiar with the Goodyear's. Have no wandering issues with the MP4S.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:36 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 404 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by crimewave
Definitely not just you man, I've seen it talked about several times here!
I am experiencing this as well. I've tried different tire pressures (currently at 32/35) and it doesn't go away. Should not have to pay this much attention to steering at speed.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:45 AM
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 93 Posts

When I initial got the car, it felt very planted at speed >90. I was very impressed. A few weeks later I put on the sport spoiler lip. Since that time it just "feels" not as stable it is was before. At that time I had the car PPF'd and the wheels painted. I had the wheels rebalance by an independant performance shop along with an alignment. The air pressure is about 35/38. The only variable that I attribute this is the aerodynamic change due to the spoiler. I guess the only way to test my theory would be to put on the original front lip back on.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:26 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,728 Likes on 2,886 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020
When I initial got the car, it felt very planted at speed >90. I was very impressed. A few weeks later I put on the sport spoiler lip. Since that time it just "feels" not as stable it is was before. At that time I had the car PPF'd and the wheels painted. I had the wheels rebalance by an independant performance shop along with an alignment. The air pressure is about 35/38. The only variable that I attribute this is the aerodynamic change due to the spoiler. I guess the only way to test my theory would be to put on the original front lip back on.
If your car isn’t lowered with SPASM, don’t run with the SPASM lip. I suspect that your issue will be resolved going back to stock.
gcurnew (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 12:05 PM
WCE
User

Received 177 Likes on 86 Posts
Exclamation

Welcome to 911 ownership.
This is the third one I've owned and they all took a while to get used to and fully understand and "trust". Due to their "unique" weight distribution, the front end will always feel light, and with the quicker steering rack in the 992's it's arguably darty now. I know this might be sacrilege for some to read, but between the stiff ride, road noise and light front end, these are not the best (terrible) highway cruisers!
I'm not saying there isn't a possible alignment issue on any of these cars, it's more likely it's just the way the car is. I will say that you will get used to it, learn to trust the handling more and appreciate how these characteristics actually improve it as a true "sports" car. You have bought a car that feels generally better during track use than road use.
Many get it out of their system quickly and move on, others keep coming back for their fix
The following 4 users liked this post by WCE:
crimewave (04-05-2020), Dzu (04-06-2020), hamerans (04-05-2020), JHesketh (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 12:30 PM
DXB992
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I never experienced instability even at close to 180 MPH, however I do feel some disturbance when its very windy. My car is equipped with SPASM and goodyears.
detansinn (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 12:35 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 368 Posts

Because of wide tires and wide track, on uneven road and roads with grooves car will wander and may need to be corrected.
I know in US, dealer prep does not include alignment. So take your car in for alignment. Check camber and toe. A little toe out rear and zero toe in front should help.
if car has toe in in front, it will follow road undulation more easily.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:40 PM
sbutty45
Advanced

Originally Posted by WCE
Welcome to 911 ownership.
This is the third one I've owned and they all took a while to get used to and fully understand and "trust". Due to their "unique" weight distribution, the front end will always feel light, and with the quicker steering rack in the 992's it's arguably darty now. I know this might be sacrilege for some to read, but between the stiff ride, road noise and light front end, these are not the best (terrible) highway cruisers!
I'm not saying there isn't a possible alignment issue on any of these cars, it's more likely it's just the way the car is. I will say that you will get used to it, learn to trust the handling more and appreciate how these characteristics actually improve it as a true "sports" car. You have bought a car that feels generally better during track use than road use.
Many get it out of their system quickly and move on, others keep coming back for their fix
The handling is fine. In fact it is the best handlung road car I have had. It's just sitting on a motorway at 85mph and the car wont sit still. I have to constantly correct in order to stay straight. It kinda pulls from side to side. Nothing to do with weight balance etc.. never had it in any of the last 19 cars I've owned. Very odd. I swear it's the alignment.
detansinn (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 02:44 PM
sbutty45
Advanced

Originally Posted by Norge911
Because of wide tires and wide track, on uneven road and roads with grooves car will wander and may need to be corrected.
I know in US, dealer prep does not include alignment. So take your car in for alignment. Check camber and toe. A little toe out rear and zero toe in front should help.
if car has toe in in front, it will follow road undulation more easily.
Not sure it's that either. Was doing it on a new tarmac stretch of road earlier. Absolutely pristine road....

Quick Reply: Unstable at speed