Sponsored by:

Unstable at speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 03:27 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 405 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by sbutty45
Not sure it's that either. Was doing it on a new tarmac stretch of road earlier. Absolutely pristine road....
Exactly how mine behaves--I would not think that this is normal. It feels like the rear is wandering side-to-side in rain grooves when none exist.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:32 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
If your car isn’t lowered with SPASM, don’t run with the SPASM lip. I suspect that your issue will be resolved going back to stock.
You got it. Owners messing with ANYTHING to do with aero do so at their peril. Spoiler lips and rear wings work in concert and are very finely tuned to suspension setttings, ride height etc. You want stable and predictable In a street car at 100mph+, then keep it as delivered from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (04-07-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 03:36 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 405 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
You got it. Owners messing with ANYTHING to do with aero do so at their peril. Spoiler lips and rear wings work in concert and are very finely tuned to suspension setttings, ride height etc. You want stable and predictable In a street car at 100mph+, then keep it as delivered from the factory.
Mine is 100% stock without SPASM and it still happens.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:46 PM
sbutty45
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
Mine is 100% stock without SPASM and it still happens.
....and I am 100% stock but with SPASM.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:18 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,482 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
I am experiencing this as well. I've tried different tire pressures (currently at 32/35) and it doesn't go away. Should not have to pay this much attention to steering at speed.
I'd have a few questions if it's wandering hard at higher speeds:
- is your rear wing up as it's supposed to be?
- What's happening with those front intake flaps? One open and one closed by mistake? Both closed by mistake?
The reason I ask these is- my 997 back in the day didn't have enough front axle downforce at high speed, and it would wander. This was an aerodynamic issue, not a tire pressure issue.
- Definitely also need to check your suspension alignment settings as well.

Just my 0.02.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:24 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,247 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Do you have RAS?
Old 04-05-2020, 04:25 PM
sbutty45
Advanced

Originally Posted by rk-d
Do you have RAS?
Yes.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:25 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,482 Likes on 952 Posts

Also - every 911 I've ever had besides the 997.1 was stable as hell at high speed. I could rest one finger on the bottom of the steering wheel and make light corrections as needed going straight. So, get her checked out.
AlexCeres (04-06-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 04:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,887 Likes on 4,817 Posts

Hi. Looking for some help. Have a C2S that has done about 3k miles. Bought at Xmas used with 500 miles from Porsche. When driving at speed say 90mph and above I find the car wanders alot around the road. It never feels planted and I have to make steering corrections all the time even though the road is good condition, no real wind and rough 20c weather. I cant pinpoint it but my driving experience tells me something is just not right. Have Goodyear tyres set at 33/38 cold pressure. I did think maybe the tyres are the wrong way round but from reading they are Asymetric and as long as the "wriitng" is on the outside then they can be put on car on either side. Checked for tyre damage and none observed. Could it be alignment? Searched for toe and camber Porsche settings but cant find on this forum. Will take it to tyre centre but wanted to be armed with correct toe and camber values so I can check their work. Is there anything else anyone can think of that needs checking that could produce the symptoms. Appreciate any advice from this great community..
Originally Posted by crimewave
i lowered my tire pressure from 41 front 51 rear (crazy, i know) down to 32/36.
i thought this would solve the "wandering" problem but i still find myself correcting the steering wheel way more than i need to. the car seems very finicky and unstable.
people here said that it could be unbalanced wheels, i took it to the service center and they found nothing wrong with it. they did not seem like they wanted
to perform a balance test. i just took the car home without arguing due to the pandemic.. didn't feel like continuing the conversation.

once this blows over i plan on going back and getting it sorted but the consensus here is unbalanced wheels.
Ok thanks. I'm my experience it's not unbalanced wheels but I'll harlge them re done to eliminate. Glad it's not just me!
Does the steering wheel vibrate at speed?

If you are driving in a straight line and let go of the steering wheel, does the car wander to one side?
Old 04-05-2020, 04:30 PM
sbutty45
Advanced

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Does the steering wheel vibrate at speed?

If you are driving in a straight line and let go of the steering wheel, does the car wander to one side?
No, no vibration. Car just wanders left or right randomly. Just small steps each way. Just small corrections all the time.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:30 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Yes.
Seems every owner with this complaint has RAS. Is it like a feeling that the rear end is on casters drifting sideways?
dj997 (04-06-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 04:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WCE
Welcome to 911 ownership.
This is the third one I've owned and they all took a while to get used to and fully understand and "trust". Due to their "unique" weight distribution, the front end will always feel light, and with the quicker steering rack in the 992's it's arguably darty now. I know this might be sacrilege for some to read, but between the stiff ride, road noise and light front end, these are not the best (terrible) highway cruisers!
I'm not saying there isn't a possible alignment issue on any of these cars, it's more likely it's just the way the car is. I will say that you will get used to it, learn to trust the handling more and appreciate how these characteristics actually improve it as a true "sports" car. You have bought a car that feels generally better during track use than road use.
Many get it out of their system quickly and move on, others keep coming back for their fix
I cannot agree with this.

I've owned a 991 and have driving a 992 frequently, both were rock solid at speed and both were great highway/freeway cruisers, and equally if not better on track.

Heck, I used to routinely take 200 mile trips in a 991 GT3 and that thing was rock solid at speeds >80 mph on the freeway.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:32 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No, no vibration. Car just wanders left or right randomly. Just small steps each way. Just small corrections all the time.
Probably not a wheel/tire balance issue, then.

Does the car wander if you let go of wheel while cruising?
Old 04-05-2020, 04:32 PM
sbutty45
Advanced

Originally Posted by rk-d
Seems every owner with this complaint has RAS. Is it like a feeling that the rear end is on casters drifting sideways?
No not really. I would use the word "fidgety" if that helps.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:33 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I cannot agree with this.

I've owned a 991 and have driving a 992 frequently, both were rock solid at speed and both were great highway/freeway cruisers, and equally if not better on track.

Heck, I used to routinely take 200 mile trips in a 991 GT3 and that thing was rock solid at speeds >80 mph on the freeway.
Agree. 993 feels solid as a rock at 90 MPH.

Quick Reply: Unstable at speed