Sponsored by:

gas vs electric

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 10:33 AM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default gas vs electric

I've driven both and in line for the 992. I also tend to keep cars longer than most (around 10 years or so).

Listening to a segment about the future of electric cars (like the Taycan). They predicted that somewhere between 2025 and 2030 that electric cars are expected to surpass gas cars; price, range, recharge, weight and so on.

I'm comfortable that the there will be gas for my 911 in 2030 (smile) and who knows it might be under $.30/gal but what will the future be for our petrolfied versions?

Maybe my current habit of keeping cars for an extended period should be shortened to....5 years. Maybe look at getting the 911e?

Old 03-04-2020, 11:03 AM
FRZA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I am current 911 owner and was looking forward to buying a Tycan. But after test driving it, I decided to stick with a manual 2020 911 and the 911 product roadmap. I will switch to electric, which I think is the future, when the 911 goes electric. 911 is all about a particular type of driving experience which is hard to replicate on a non-911 car.
The following 2 users liked this post by FRZA:
JRoach (03-04-2020), SamD (03-05-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 12:09 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Considering the current take rate on electric cars, I would be shocked to see that prediction come true.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:14 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 136 Posts

I have not driven a Taycan - but my only car for the past 5 years has been a Tesla Model S. I purchased the 992 as a (daily usable, if necessary) toy and kept the Tesla as my "beater" as I have increasingly considered it the "perfectionist's Camry".

Even with an excellent petrol toy in the garage, I remain convinced that for a plurality of people who have overnight charing locations and usually commute within one charge of their charging location, and presuming cost/performance is as good/better than petrol eventually - that EVs are much more convenient (no petrol stations, no warm up), comfortable (mostly silent), reliable (no gears, few fluids, limited moving parts), theoretically green (barring coal plants, rare-earth, and disposal concerns) and performance (torque 0-30mph where it counts) and are by far the perfect daily driver.

At times I do wish the 992 was fully electric and if ever available I might consider it - but then it would be something other than a 911 which is what I grew up admiring.
The following 2 users liked this post by mferris:
AlexCeres (03-07-2020), Bluehighways (09-24-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 01:22 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by mferris
I have not driven a Taycan - but my only car for the past 5 years has been a Tesla Model S. I purchased the 992 as a (daily usable, if necessary) toy and kept the Tesla as my "beater" as I have increasingly considered it the "perfectionist's Camry".

Even with an excellent petrol toy in the garage, I remain convinced that for a plurality of people who have overnight charing locations and usually commute within one charge of their charging location, and presuming cost/performance is as good/better than petrol eventually - that EVs are much more convenient (no petrol stations, no warm up), comfortable (mostly silent), reliable (no gears, few fluids, limited moving parts), theoretically green (barring coal plants, rare-earth, and disposal concerns) and performance (torque 0-30mph where it counts) and are by far the perfect daily driver.

At times I do wish the 992 was fully electric and if ever available I might consider it - but then it would be something other than a 911 which is what I grew up admiring.
The biggest problem with electric cars today is going to be for people living in dense urban areas who don't have access to private parking. all the apt buildings and all the duplex, triplex, town house owners or tenants that have to park in the street will not be able to recharge the car overnight easily.

It's all good for burb owners who have garages or private driveways, but it's going to take a very very very long time to take for dense urban areas.
The following 2 users liked this post by rockrdude:
G650 (09-24-2020), gcurnew (09-24-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 01:26 PM
JRoach
Racer

Take rate will get there.

Will RV plummet for the gas powered car? Will the next 10 years be a safe zone as gas cars are phased out but gas is cheap so operating cost is lower?

Maybe we have to go back to the horse and buggy to look for an example. It took the ICE 50yrs to dislodge the horse

Old 03-04-2020, 02:01 PM
JRoach
Racer

Originally Posted by rockrdude
The biggest problem with electric cars today is going to be for people living in dense urban areas who don't have access to private parking. all the apt buildings and all the duplex, triplex, town house owners or tenants that have to park in the street will not be able to recharge the car overnight easily.

It's all good for burb owners who have garages or private driveways, but it's going to take a very very very long time to take for dense urban areas.
Manufacturers are looking at charging times cut in half by the end of 2021. With extended ranges, people will feel less compelled to plug in every night. Cars like the ID.3, already sold out, Tesla and others are constantly charging the current capabilities offered. Technologies in EV are growing faster than those related soles to ICE.

Will it get to a point where the only interested party in my gas powered car is a collector? (Exaggerated for the point).

It won’t stop me from the next round but might change my frequency habits.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:27 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 136 Posts

Fully agree that 'burb dwellers have the easiest path to electric cars. Feels like there is a continuum of locomotion methods spanning time across Rural<->Suburban<->Urban matching Gas<->Electric<->Public Transport (which could be viewed as partially electric today - some trains/bus).
Old 03-07-2020, 02:54 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

I thought there is the very real possibility that 992.2 will be a hybrid. That could be crazy quick.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:18 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 552 Posts

I'll probably end up buying 2 or 3 of the last model year of the the 911 produced with an ICE and manual transmission and preserve them so they can last me through the end of my life. I like cars and I have no interest in driving around in an electrical appliance no matter what badge is on it.
The following 3 users liked this post by RudyP:
Denny Swift (03-07-2020), G650 (09-24-2020), Rxpert (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 09:20 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
I thought there is the very real possibility that 992.2 will be a hybrid. That could be crazy quick.
And a heavy *** pig. No thanks. The car is fast enough.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:39 PM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

I think Porsche will figure out how to make a hybrid lighter. Then, we’ll get best of both ICE and electric - top speed, more torque, range, efficiency, and of course sound.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:47 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
There was a rumor going around, but was recently completely quashed by Dr. Walliser (I think it was him) where he clearly stated NO hybrid or electric 911 for the 992 generation at all. He even went a step further and said no electric 911 while he’s in charge and that it will only happen after he retires because he doesn’t want to be responsible for taking the 911 down that path.

I wish I had the link, sorry. I even tried to google it quickly, but couldn’t find it. Was posted somewhere here on Rennlist though.....

Edit: Re-read the articles and he said no full electric 911 on his watch, but did not explicitly rule out a hybrid. His only current complaint for hybrids is that they add too much weight. My reading between the lines, once battery technology advances and weights get reduced we may see a hybrid model.

Last edited by Rxpert; 03-08-2020 at 02:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
G650 (09-24-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 10:57 PM
jkwb
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert
There was a rumor going around, but was recently completely quashed by Dr. Walliser (I think it was him) where he clearly stated NO hybrid or electric 911 for the 992 generation at all. He even went a step further and said no hybrid 911 while he’s in charge and that it will only happen after he retires because he doesn’t want to be responsible for taking the 911 down that path.

I wish I had the link, sorry. I even tried to google it quickly, but couldn’t find it. Was posted somewhere here on Rennlist though.....
https://www.motortrend.com/news/elec...snt-happening/
The following users liked this post:
russbert (03-08-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 01:22 PM
JRoach
Racer

Coming back to this thread after the Governor of California announced the end of ICE (new) by 2035. Plenty of time but for people, even those that keep their cars 10yrs+ but it does gets murky in a few more after that.

Quick Reply: gas vs electric