Sponsored by:

Opinions from First time Porsche Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 11:09 PM
soguinness
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 43 Posts

First time owner here - moved from BMW.

- I must say I thought this car was great for daily drive but now after 200 miles I have a feeling that it is not optimal. Too much road noise, and droning whole cruising.
- A lot of rattles compared to BMW in my 992. I test drove another 992s at a different dealer and that one was much better in terms of rattles. I had to go to with mine since I custom ordered it to my spec.
- comfort access is total BS. Doesn’t work half the time. Don’t waste your money.
- Bose audio is not worth it. Too loud in the car to enjoy any good music unless you are at the traffic light. I think it is waste of money but not sure about the resale value.
- I have standard interior and seeing full leather hurt a little. But I guess I still prefer to save $4k

All negatives so far because I am in the break in period didn’t enjoy driving it a lot
The following users liked this post:
porschedood5000 (02-28-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 11:11 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 826 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by soguinness
- I have standard interior and seeing full leather hurt a little. But I guess I still prefer to save $4k
not justifying the rattles on your car, but my dealer told me they have come to the conclusion that all the cars with rattle issues have been standard interior cars... the full leather cars never have rattle issues,.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:13 PM
soguinness
Rennlist Member

- I must say I thought this car was great for daily drive but now after 200 miles I have a feeling that it is not optimal. Too much road noise, and droning whole cruising.
- A lot of rattles compared to BMW in my 992. I test drove another 992s at a different dealer and that one was much better in terms of rattles. I had to go to with mine since I custom ordered it to my spec.
- comfort access is total BS. Doesn’t work half the time. Don’t waste your money.
- Bose audio is not worth it. Too loud in the car to enjoy any good music unless you are at the traffic light. I think it is waste of money but not sure about the resale value.

All negatives so far because I am in the break in period didn’t enjoy driving it a lot
oh also I drove both a car with good year tires and my car on Pirellis and I thought the good years had much less noise. I deflated mine to 36/41, still too much road noise
Old 02-25-2020, 11:14 PM
soguinness
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 992Sam
not justifying the rattles on your car, but my dealer told me they have come to the conclusion that all the cars with rattle issues have been standard interior cars... the full leather cars never have rattle issues,.
Damn! Though the seat belt bucket is the worst one and I don’t think it is anything to do with leather vs standard.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:15 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Damn! Though the seat belt bucket is the worst one and I don’t think it is anything to do with leather vs standard.

yep, gotta use the sliding adjustment thinggy and move it all the way up to the top... that cured mine.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:03 AM
macanspnw
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Not true and your dealer is wrong. I test drove a 992 for 3 days and put 600+ miles on the car. It had multiple rattles. It had slate gray leather interior with chalk stitching. The rattles were very annoying and I commented to the dealer about them. Loved the car otherwise.
porschedood5000 (02-28-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 12:05 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by macanspnw
Not true and your dealer is wrong. I test drove a 992 for 3 days and put 600+ miles on the car. It had multiple rattles. It had slate gray leather interior with chalk stitching. The rattles were very annoying and I commented to the dealer about them. Loved the car otherwise.
2893 miles and not a single rattle... btw, both door panels removed and replaced (to install the puddle light), the rear view mirror housing removed and replaced for installing radar detector and the entire right side of the car interior trim removed and replaced to install the electronic license plate...

Could this be a case of inconsistent production? idk... I just know my car is rattle free. Built like an M1 Tank.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:15 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by macanspnw
Well, that's the problem right there.

Who specs slate gray leather with chalk stitching.

Might as well do carmine red interior with lava orange stitching.

No doubt the rattles were just the boys and girls at Stuttgart's inside joke at that interior combo.
SamD (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 12:17 AM
macanspnw
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

2893 miles and not a single rattle... btw, both door panels removed and replaced (to install the puddle light), the rear view mirror housing removed and replaced for installing radar detector and the entire right side of the car interior trim removed and replaced to install the electronic license plate...

Could this be a case of inconsistent production? idk... I just know my car is rattle free. Built like an M1 Tank.
I believe you. I was just providing a data point that a car with full leather interior had multiple rattles.

Your car is gorgeous. I hope to be a 992 owner someday. This forum has been an amazing resource and fun!
992Sam (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 02:37 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Well, that's the problem right there.

Who specs slate gray leather with chalk stitching.

Might as well do carmine red interior with lava orange stitching.

No doubt the rattles were just the boys and girls at Stuttgart's inside joke at that interior combo.
Really? I have that interior and think it’s great. Perhaps the joke is on me, but teto. Good thing you can spec what you want.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:38 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by slwong23
Really? I have that interior and think it’s great. Perhaps the joke is on me, but teto. Good thing you can spec what you want.
no, I think that combo works good... but then I get berated for my color combo too... guess what? The only opinion that matters is OURS.
The following 2 users liked this post by 992Sam:
aggie57 (02-26-2020), slwong23 (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 03:57 AM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

I would just tell the dealer you’re not ok w the rattles and you want them to hunt them down and address them. In review after review I heard about the rock solid build quality of the 911 compared to other sports cars, so it’s reasonable to expect it to be screwed together with care.

On the droning, is this a sport exhaust car? If so, I’d just note that on my 991.2, at certain speeds (for example highway at 70’s), for some reason it sounded quieter in sport mode than quiet mode... different car and different transmission but just wanted to share.

i think you can still go lower on tire pressure btw, I love 37/32.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:47 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

On the UNIDEN thread, some have said that no power is available from the mirror- yet you used the mirror for power-
Care to explain?
Old 02-26-2020, 11:32 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stevensivak
On the UNIDEN thread, some have said that no power is available from the mirror- yet you used the mirror for power-
Care to explain?
wish I could, but I'm the type to hire out my work with regards to things I am not an absolute 100% expert... thus I paid a well respected automotive audio shop $110 to do it ... he tapped the power from the mirror. Whole job took him 30min
Old 02-26-2020, 11:49 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

damn....

Quick Reply: Opinions from First time Porsche Owners