Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 base 7mt Petition

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 05:12 PM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

come to think of it now that you mention it.. i had a similar feeling with a 991.2 PDK .. can't remember if my B8.5 S5 did it or not
Old 05-08-2020, 05:21 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikit356
What you just said about "it takes a second" is interesting. I don't recall anything particularly specific from the one time I drove a 991.2 Base C2, except that it seemed to respond well and was quite quick. But, I've now been driving my '18 VW Golf R for two years with their 7-speed DSG gearbox (similar to PDK). This VW has a 2.0L 4 cylinder single turbo motor with about 290hp/280tq. If I'm sitting at a traffic light, motor idling, and my right foot not touching the gas pedal at all, I can press the gas pedal and the car feels like it responds very well nearly instantly. It doe not have the same connected response feeling that you get with a NA motor, but neither is it typical turbo lag. Overall, in the above situation, I'm very happy with how it responds. However, let's just change the scenario slightly: Say I'm approaching the traffic light and slowing down with my foot mostly off the gas, but still with slight pressure on the pedal. As I'm approaching the light, intending to make a left turn, the light turns green so I slowly enter the intersection because I have to wait for a car coming from the opposite direction to pass me before turning left. I've barely kept my foot on the gas pedal while slowly moving forward. As soon as the car passes, I depress the gas pedal normally (not particularly hard) to move and make the left turn. Absolutely nothing happens. Not just a delay. I could push the pedal further down and the same thing- nothing, I'm simply coasting at the same slow pace while I was waiting for the car to pass. Think about this situation, where you wait to make your left turn for one car to pass, but there are more cars coming and you would normally have enough time to make the left turn in front of them. When I am still moving slowly forward throughout this maneuver and step on the gas to complete the turn before oncoming traffic I am left slowly just continuing to coast across in front of them. Anything that I try to do by pressing the gas pedal results in zero response from the engine. After a few of these incidents I finally discovered that while coasting slowly and barely on the gas the only way to get any acceleration from the engine was to physically take my foot totally off the gas pedal, then quickly press it again. The response would be immediate with a sense of good turbo power and no delay. At normal driving speeds, say cruising along at anywhere between 30-70 mph, with your foot rather lightly on the gas, this problem does not occur at all. This issue I've described feels like it may very well be electronic. There is no physical connection between the gas pedal and the engine, so possibly the engine is simply not getting the message I'm trying to send by pressing my foot down. I've never heard anyone mention my just described problem with a Porsche 9A2 3.0L twin turbo motor, so your description of "this feels like a electronic delay" sounds right, but it does not leave you stranded with no further response from the motor. My VW problem seems to be related to the electronic accelerator combined with a 2.0L motor tuned to nearly 300hp with a single turbo.
I have a 991.2 C2 with MT and a 2019 VW Golf R, also with MT. I have not noticed any lag to speak of in either one, let alone the extreme lack of response you report with your Golf R. So maybe it is the DSG?

God bless,
TT
Old 05-09-2020, 11:18 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
I have a 991.2 C2 with MT and a 2019 VW Golf R, also with MT. I have not noticed any lag to speak of in either one, let alone the extreme lack of response you report with your Golf R. So maybe it is the DSG?

God bless,
TT
Tom, I think you've raised a good point (sorry about the off topic, but this is about "turbo" at least, and also a Cobb tune!). Some guys on a VW forum suspected that maybe the DSG transmission could not decide which gear to use, but this happens to me even when the DSG is in manual mode. I'm sure there is plenty of software between my foot on the electronic gas pedal and the engine/gearbox deciding what is called for. I'll check with the dealer the next time I take the VW in for service. I imagine that they will at least have a GTI with DSG to see if that behaves the same way. I did a Cobb ECU Stage 1+ 93 Octane tune on this R back in late 2018. If it was quick before, it now feels really fast. Significant change. BTW, absolutely no difference in the weird behavior. I'll try to remember to send you a PM after I have this checked by the dealer. I do love the car and plan to track it this year, if the events ever happen. PCA seems to be cancelling a lot. Thanks for your input!
Old 05-11-2020, 03:45 AM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Received 241 Likes on 89 Posts

My 992 C4S just explodes past cars when I am pulling out to pass, sometimes I don't even get to thumb the button. It's pulling so hard and I am really busy.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:58 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Tom, I think you've raised a good point (sorry about the off topic, but this is about "turbo" at least, and also a Cobb tune!). Some guys on a VW forum suspected that maybe the DSG transmission could not decide which gear to use, but this happens to me even when the DSG is in manual mode. I'm sure there is plenty of software between my foot on the electronic gas pedal and the engine/gearbox deciding what is called for. I'll check with the dealer the next time I take the VW in for service. I imagine that they will at least have a GTI with DSG to see if that behaves the same way. I did a Cobb ECU Stage 1+ 93 Octane tune on this R back in late 2018. If it was quick before, it now feels really fast. Significant change. BTW, absolutely no difference in the weird behavior. I'll try to remember to send you a PM after I have this checked by the dealer. I do love the car and plan to track it this year, if the events ever happen. PCA seems to be cancelling a lot. Thanks for your input!
Good idea to check with the dealer. Maybe it's something easy to fix...for example, if there is a transmission controller software update?

God bless,
TT
Old 05-14-2020, 07:55 AM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

What you just said about "it takes a second" is interesting. I don't recall anything particularly specific from the one time I drove a 991.2 Base C2, except that it seemed to respond well and was quite quick. But, I've now been driving my '18 VW Golf R for two years with their 7-speed DSG gearbox (similar to PDK). This VW has a 2.0L 4 cylinder single turbo motor with about 290hp/280tq. If I'm sitting at a traffic light, motor idling, and my right foot not touching the gas pedal at all, I can press the gas pedal and the car feels like it responds very well nearly instantly. It doe not have the same connected response feeling that you get with a NA motor, but neither is it typical turbo lag. Overall, in the above situation, I'm very happy with how it responds. However, let's just change the scenario slightly: Say I'm approaching the traffic light and slowing down with my foot mostly off the gas, but still with slight pressure on the pedal. As I'm approaching the light, intending to make a left turn, the light turns green so I slowly enter the intersection because I have to wait for a car coming from the opposite direction to pass me before turning left. I've barely kept my foot on the gas pedal while slowly moving forward. As soon as the car passes, I depress the gas pedal normally (not particularly hard) to move and make the left turn. Absolutely nothing happens. Not just a delay. I could push the pedal further down and the same thing- nothing, I'm simply coasting at the same slow pace while I was waiting for the car to pass. Think about this situation, where you wait to make your left turn for one car to pass, but there are more cars coming and you would normally have enough time to make the left turn in front of them. When I am still moving slowly forward throughout this maneuver and step on the gas to complete the turn before oncoming traffic I am left slowly just continuing to coast across in front of them. Anything that I try to do by pressing the gas pedal results in zero response from the engine. After a few of these incidents I finally discovered that while coasting slowly and barely on the gas the only way to get any acceleration from the engine was to physically take my foot totally off the gas pedal, then quickly press it again. The response would be immediate with a sense of good turbo power and no delay. At normal driving speeds, say cruising along at anywhere between 30-70 mph, with your foot rather lightly on the gas, this problem does not occur at all. This issue I've described feels like it may very well be electronic. There is no physical connection between the gas pedal and the engine, so possibly the engine is simply not getting the message I'm trying to send by pressing my foot down. I've never heard anyone mention my just described problem with a Porsche 9A2 3.0L twin turbo motor, so your description of "this feels like a electronic delay" sounds right, but it does not leave you stranded with no further response from the motor. My VW problem seems to be related to the electronic accelerator combined with a 2.0L motor tuned to nearly 300hp with a single turbo.
i noticed today if i ease into it partial throttle its more responsive than flooring it .. i wonder if its the Euro Restrictions .. I know on my motorcycle before i de-restricted it from 70% throttle after 9000 rpms to redline the bike was getting less power .. i had to flash the ECU to derestrict it .. or maybe if you have the car with the skid control on .. it doesn't allow you to floor it and potentially lose control

Quick Reply: 992 base 7mt Petition