992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Auto says skip the RAS and PDCC

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2020 | 04:43 AM
OFlow
Intermediate

I live in Germany where parking lots are super tight (much tighter than in the US). Without RAS, I have had no trouble parking. I would not get RAS for the parking as it really isn't needed for that. If all the reports about the track are correct, then that seems to be the key use case. The high-speed cornering advantages of RAS are basically above 80 km/h, which is mainly going to be an advantage on the track. Also, I encourage people to try a car without power steering plus -- the front end is not very heavy and the normal steering is fine. You can save the money.
The following 2 users liked this post by OFlow:
balucipher (10-12-2022), JHesketh (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020 | 05:46 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Originally Posted by OFlow
...The high-speed cornering advantages of RAS are basically above 80 km/h, which is mainly going to be an advantage on the track. Also, I encourage people to try a car without power steering plus -- the front end is not very heavy and the normal steering is fine. You can save the money.
it’s worth noting that 80kph is a mere 50mph. I feel you can definitely take advantage of RAS on the mountain back roads.

+1 for no PAS+ I did not spec it. My dealer was incredulous. The standard PAS is plenty assistance enough.
Old 01-22-2020 | 05:53 AM
OFlow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JHesketh
it’s worth noting that 80kph is a mere 50mph. I feel you can definitely take advantage of RAS on the mountain back roads.

+1 for no PAS+ I did not spec it. My dealer was incredulous. The standard PAS is plenty assistance enough.
My dealer was also incredulous -- "but what about your wife?" The power boost is already significant and my wife has never noticed that she needs more boost. I object on principle to paying so much for them to change one setting in the software.

In Europe the back roads have speed limits of 90-100 kph, depending on the country. At these speeds, the non-RAS car handles beautifully. In contrast, on a track like Hochenheim, cornering speeds can be over 200 kph and there I can imagine that the RAS increases stability significantly.
The following users liked this post:
JHesketh (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020 | 09:04 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Dealers like Power Steering Plus, because being a PS+ car “helps with resale”. SAs really push it. If it is just a software difference, as some have asserted, it is basically a free money option for Porsche to deliver.

PS+ doesn’t change anything with the car at speed, but it does make things nice and light when parking.

My Alfa 4C has manual steering, so, I can get in “macho” parallel parking whenever I like.
Old 01-22-2020 | 09:19 AM
OFlow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by detansinn
Dealers like Power Steering Plus, because being a PS+ car “helps with resale”. SAs really push it. If it is just a software difference, as some have asserted, it is basically a free money option for Porsche to deliver.

PS+ doesn’t change anything with the car at speed, but it does make things nice and light when parking.

My Alfa 4C has manual steering, so, I can get in “macho” parallel parking whenever I like.
Because dealers always include it, it is hard to test a car without it. I took a leap of faith and left it off without trying it without. It feels perfect without. Really, there is not the slightest need for it in a car with the engine hanging out the back. (note that I have the C4S so the C2 will be even lighter in the front)
Old 01-22-2020 | 09:45 AM
JHesketh
Racer

...It feels perfect without. Really, there is not the slightest need for it...
My feeling exactly. It is ‘confident’ with PAS and not in the least bit heavy.

PS I’m in Switzerland. Speed limits are definitely a challenge. Funny how there are so many exotic cars out here 😂
Old 01-22-2020 | 09:54 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

It was not available as an option on my GTS. It was standard on my GT3T. The difference is remarkable. For me, after the engine, the RAS is the most notable upgrade between my GTS and my Touring.
992Sam (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020 | 10:03 AM
OFlow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JHesketh
My feeling exactly. It is ‘confident’ with PAS and not in the least bit heavy.

PS I’m in Switzerland. Speed limits are definitely a challenge. Funny how there are so many exotic cars out here 😂
You all come across the boarder into Germany I always see a lot of sports cars with Swiss plates in the Black Forest. And it is why the A81 has signs warning that it is illegal to race on the Autobahn. Enjoy it while it lasts -- I think a national 130 limit is inevitable.
JHesketh (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020 | 10:09 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

I live in Germany where parking lots are super tight (much tighter than in the US). Without RAS, I have had no trouble parking. I would not get RAS for the parking as it really isn't needed for that. If all the reports about the track are correct, then that seems to be the key use case. The high-speed cornering advantages of RAS are basically above 80 km/h, which is mainly going to be an advantage on the track. Also, I encourage people to try a car without power steering plus -- the front end is not very heavy and the normal steering is fine. You can save the money.
I think the parking stuff is a cherry on top, but definitely not a major factor. If I really cared about that, I'd just get that 360 Birdseye camera add-on. Car parks fine without it. Same thing with PS+...you can turn the steering wheel with your fingers with standard steering.

Having read everything I can, there seems to be a consistent report that the RAS improves the car. Makes it feel smaller. Improves agility. I think the degree of improvement is the question and whether it's worth the money.

The cornering on tip-toes comment about classic Porsches is an interesting one. I've felt that in my 993. Obviously, this is a smaller and far more primitive car. I had a 991.2 Turbo with RAS and it felt more isolated and less alive. Not sure how much RAS plays a role in that - it's a MUCH different car than the 992.

The 992 that I test drove and loved did not have RAS. It felt natural in a way that was different than my 991.2 Turbo. No clue if RAS plays a role in that, but food for thought.

Old 01-22-2020 | 11:05 AM
casaforte9
Racer

I tested c2s 992 cab and somehow did not like it over 991/718 gts

i again tested a 992c4s coupe with no rws and another 992c4s coupe with rws

i could not feel the effect of rws but the 992 4s was sweet in terms of handling , torque pull around bends and overalll fun than 991 c4s car I had in the past and liked it over 992s
Old 01-22-2020 | 11:52 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rouxeny
wow, that’s a pretty big difference.
when making U-turns in San Francisco .. something I do a lot... it makes ALL the difference.
rouxeny (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020 | 11:56 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rk-d
Having read everything I can, there seems to be a consistent report that the RAS improves the car. Makes it feel smaller. Improves agility. I think the degree of improvement is the question and whether it's worth the money.
It's literally one of the cheapest mechanical options on the car, almost hard to believe they didn't charge more... however, it is also literally two electrical motors and a control. unit... total weight gain, unlikely more than 6-7lbs.
Old 01-22-2020 | 12:03 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
The RAS is better on track and it save you *** on the road

feeling wise they are right but a panamera weight and size 992 when it loose its *** you have to pray to recover it without the RAS

RAS is needed because today's car are too big and heavy

that a why to fill the fun gap on modern cars you need 600HP ( at least the 992 S RAS PDCC I tested where i found the engine boring)

so to get fun or you risk your *** or you wait the 992Turbo or you get warranty void with tuning
(unless you live as a taxi driver and daily drive on the nurburgring ...) damn porsche developers...when a carbon tube small 911?

2SS/4S or GTS is a car for commuting in perfect relax and occasionally fun on track drive
for somethingelse you need more expensive versions but sure can you manage warp speed on the roads?
Your comments about the 911 getting bigger and heavier are fair enough but if the car needed RAS for safety reasons it would be standard across the range. I’ve driven both 991 GT3 with RAS and 991.2 C2S without on the track (not yet a 992) and they both felt just like you expect a rear engined 911 to feel.

I’ve ordered my manual 992 without it.
Old 01-22-2020 | 01:03 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
Your comments about the 911 getting bigger and heavier are fair enough but if the car needed RAS for safety reasons it would be standard across the range. I’ve driven both 991 GT3 with RAS and 991.2 C2S without on the track (not yet a 992) and they both felt just like you expect a rear engined 911 to feel.

I’ve ordered my manual 992 without it.
I would expect some benefit with emergency lane changes and maybe added stability in the rain.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
992Sam (01-22-2020), SBAD (03-02-2021)
Old 01-22-2020 | 01:48 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
I would expect some benefit with emergency lane changes and maybe added stability in the rain.
Possibly so but we're not talking Mercedes A-class elk test here. Seriously, you don't 'need' RAS in a modern 911. Porsche themselves admit that by making it an option.

Quick Reply: Sport Auto says skip the RAS and PDCC