Sponsored by:

Sport Auto says skip the RAS and PDCC

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 06:08 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
Since my build is oriented towards aggressive driving and track days, i focused on keeping weight down and adding features I believe will allow the car to perform better when driven hard. So here is a short list of my choices.

2021 C2S with Michelin Alpine 5 snows for the winter
1. SPASM - lowers the car, increases the spring and sway bar rates
2. CF Roof - every little weight reduction helps and it looks really good
3. 4 way sport plus seats with Sport Tex - holds you in better and doesn't slip like leather
4. RAS - makes the car feel smaller and lighter to me
5. FAL - I plan to go lower in the future and has already saved my front spoiler, even if it is cheap
6. Lightweight glass - saves 8 lbs and is quieter than the stock glass - I've done the comparison. Wouldn't buy a car without it.
7. Sport Chrono - Did I say I drive aggressively?
8. Sport exhaust - since replaced with Akrapovic but you need the stock valve actuators and programming to make it work

So it's definitely not your usual build with lots of nice looking add ons. But, I would order the same thing again so no regrets.
Thanks for the info.
1. Same.
2. Not my thing. But weight is not my concern. Also didn't do sunroof. Like body color carried through.
3. 18 way. I like the bolster fine tuning and memory though I'm sure I will be the 99% driver. I like Sport-Tex but wanted ventilated.
4. RAS - like I said on the fence about this.
5. I won't go lower and opted to leave this out.
6. This one intrigues me. Any concern that replacement in Colorado where windshields often seem disposable will be an issue?? That and special considerations when tinting concerned me.
7. Manual for me so includes but I would have added.
8. Same. Not sure I will change anything to aftermarket but will see.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:42 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Thanks for the info.
1. Same.
2. Not my thing. But weight is not my concern. Also didn't do sunroof. Like body color carried through.
3. 18 way. I like the bolster fine tuning and memory though I'm sure I will be the 99% driver. I like Sport-Tex but wanted ventilated.
4. RAS - like I said on the fence about this.
5. I won't go lower and opted to leave this out.
6. This one intrigues me. Any concern that replacement in Colorado where windshields often seem disposable will be an issue?? That and special considerations when tinting concerned me.
7. Manual for me so includes but I would have added.
8. Same. Not sure I will change anything to aftermarket but will see.
I had a ride along with inastrangeland and made multiple changes to my configuration based on his car. Most notably the lightweight noise-insulated glass. I also live in CO and replace a windshield every other year on average. However, to me, the noise-insulated glass was such a game changer that I decided to spec it and take the risk. Also, I believe that I read in another thread the replacement cost isn’t significantly different than regular glass. I’ve been hesitant to write about how great I think the noise-insulated glass is because my ride along was 10-15 minutes total and my comparison point is the 991 not another 992 without the LWNI glass. I’m convinced it’s the right decision for me.

PS- I don’t tint my windows so I don’t have to worry about that.

Last edited by Boulder Mike; 03-02-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:10 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
I had a ride along with inastrangeland and made multiple changes to my configuration based on his car. Most notably the lightweight noise-insulated glass. I also live in CO and replace a windshield every other year on average. However, to me, the noise-insulated glass was such a game changer that I decided to spec it and take the risk. Also, I believe that I read in another thread the replacement cost isn’t significantly different than regular glass. I’ve been hesitant to write about how great I think the noise-insulated glass is because my ride along was 10-15 minutes total and my comparison point is the 991 not another 992 without the LWNI glass. I’m convinced it’s the right decision for me.

PS- I don’t tint my windows so I don’t have to worry about that.
you had me at ride along.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
Boulder Mike (03-03-2021), sexfiend (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 12:13 AM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

RAS sucks, makes the car feel un natural and twitchy. Waste of money. PDCC is useless, artificial.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (04-09-2023)
Old 03-04-2021, 12:25 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts

According to my dealer anyone who got rws cannot even tell it’s working so they are asking peope to not get it as it’s a pain to deal with customers who want To know it works lol

I have c2s with spasm and there is like zero body roll no matter what do I don’t see the point. Maybe if I was tracking and need the last 1pc of grip?

i have neither and the car turns and handles pretty much perfect. Maybe ignorance is bliss
Old 03-04-2021, 12:29 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,192 Likes on 1,479 Posts

This is like an oil thread, long on opinions, short on facts.

The TRUTH is unless you can get in one car with the options, drive it - and then get in another car without those options and drive that, then you don't know. It's all speculation. It's too bad there are so few 992's around on the lots because a back to back test drive is nearly impossible af the dealership.

I have PDCC / Rear Wheel Steering / Power Steering Plus in my 992 S Cab (manual trans) and dig it. BUT - I have not driven the 992 without it, so my opinion has no baseline.

I am in Fairfax County Virginia so if any of you guys are ordering a car and on the fence about those options, ping me and we will see if we can arrange a test drive in my car - provided you are skilled with driving a three-pedal car. If the last time you drove a stick was thirty years ago - not going to get a refresher in my car!
Old 03-04-2021, 07:10 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 259 Posts

PDCC or Active Roll Stabilization should definitely be experienced before you buy. I had such an opportunity with my partner last year.
In going around curves at speed, it felt strange and artificial to me, the driver. My girl friend said it made her a bit queazy, similar to being a back
seat passenger in most Audi's.
The 911 has very little vertical travel as is, so I don't see the advantage of Active Roll Stabilization here.Perhaps there is an application for PDCC in the Macan or Cayenne that is tall and a
bit top heavy.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:00 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

I've gone back and forth on some things. The one that I've come back to most recently is the RAS. I currently have a 997.1 C4S Cab, my first and only 911 in a MT and so going from that to the 992 C2S Coupe MT will be a big change.

I keep reading that the RAS will make it not seem like a boat, and others saying it makes it less like the 997 which I haven't decided whether that is good or bad yet. I do have SPASM optioned. For now RAS is not on my build but was one option my SA told me to really think about.

I don't plan to track my car.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:06 AM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

I ordered RAS on mine, because I have it on my 2019 Audi A6, and I like it. U-Turns are easy, and I like the way it changes lanes at Interstate speeds. I doubt very strongly that Porsche would offer an option on a car that degrades its capabilities. Can a 992 be enjoyed without RAS? Of course-- but I think RAS will make the car a little sharper, and a little more enjoyable to drive.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:54 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

RAS all the way guys. Its much better with it. I've had it on 3 out of 4 911's Ive owned since 2017. Two of which were 992's. It makes a difference for the better in daily driving and I thought I read it make it faster on the track. Get it and dont look back.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 03-12-2021 at 08:55 PM.
drcollie (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 03:48 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by KCviper
My car has RAS, PCDD and PAMS and handles like it is on rails! I did drive several other 911's for comparison (no other 992's) and gravitated to the 992 with all the "goodies". May not ever drive the car to it's abilities but nice to have it!
So you think you ticked all the goodies. Why not the LSMFT ?
Old 05-01-2021, 09:17 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

What about the notion that PDCC is the smart choice on a Targa, where SPASM isn’t an option? There are no 992 Targas sitting around for me to drive before completing a spec, so I’m trying to do as much research as possible.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:36 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
What about the notion that PDCC is the smart choice on a Targa, where SPASM isn’t an option? There are no 992 Targas sitting around for me to drive before completing a spec, so I’m trying to do as much research as possible.
My previous 911 was a 991.2 Turbo S, so it had RAS and PDCC as standard. Absolutely loved the handling and cornering was magical. I don't get (at all) the comments about it feeling 'artificial', 'twitchy' etc. -maybe I'm just taking the wrong drugs. So when I decided to go "downgrade" to a Targa, especially considering the weight and higher center of gravity, I considered RAS and PDCC to be a must. And it's interesting that they are bundled in the Targa - can't get one without the other. I have no regrets, but can't say I've done the controlled experiment in a Targa without them to compare. Reality is that's just not going to be a possibility.
Ull (10-11-2022)
Old 05-01-2021, 09:55 PM
DNSGT3
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 63 Posts

How come RAS become twitchy? All 911 GT models have them and I haven’t heard any complain. I drove a 991.1 GTS and 991.1 GT3 back to back and I could tell the difference.

PDCC is something I haven’t experienced though. I didn’t think body roll was an issue in the 911 I have driven so far (coupe/cab, S/GTS/GT3), but I have never driven a Targa.
I want to know, for Targa owners that didn’t order PDCC, do you wish the car has better body control at some point?
Also, I have read somewhere PDCC improves ride quality, how does that work really with anti-roll system..?
Old 05-02-2021, 05:10 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by DNSGT3
How come RAS become twitchy? All 911 GT models have them and I haven’t heard any complain. I drove a 991.1 GTS and 991.1 GT3 back to back and I could tell the difference.

PDCC is something I haven’t experienced though. I didn’t think body roll was an issue in the 911 I have driven so far (coupe/cab, S/GTS/GT3), but I have never driven a Targa.
I want to know, for Targa owners that didn’t order PDCC, do you wish the car has better body control at some point?
Also, I have read somewhere PDCC improves ride quality, how does that work really with anti-roll system..?
Don’t understand the twitchy comments either - just acquired RAS on my 991.1 TTS and am gob-smacked at its performance on my favourite, tight-cornered, hill-climb. Definitely swings round the hairpins tighter than my previous 992 C2S or GT4.
Ull (10-11-2022)

Quick Reply: Sport Auto says skip the RAS and PDCC