Sponsored by:

Sport Auto says skip the RAS and PDCC

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 06:36 AM
GVIFlyer
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Meh, whatever. I don't care enough to "research" this. I could be wrong. This assertion has been made in press. Maybe the press is wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

https://www.total911.com/what-weve-l...e-991-chassis/

"The big issue lies in engine placement. For the 991, its flat six engine is placed more on top of the rear axle, rather than past it. This calls into question just how ‘rear engined’ the 991 actually is, especially when compared to the full-bodied rear-engined nature of every single Porsche 911 that preceded it. As well as the engine’s incremental shift forwards, the ‘mid-engine’ feel is supposedly exacerbated by the 991’s extended wheelbase, which is 100mm longer than that of the previous generation 997."
i’m not trying to revive an old thread, but I was under my 2022 911 Turbo and the engine appeared to be farther forward than on my 991.2, so I decided to research it. Numerous sources say that the engine mounts were moved forward 6.6 inches; this article from a fellow attending a Porsche get to know the car session claims that the engine itself was moved forward 20 cm or 7.9 inches. https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/48956/

The following users liked this post:
Ull (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 12:00 PM
Ull
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dgtarga
So when I decided to go "downgrade" to a Targa, especially considering the weight and higher center of gravity, I considered RAS and PDCC to be a must. And it's interesting that they are bundled in the Targa - can't get one without the other.
I remember when I went to the dealer and was looking through all of the new/incoming 992s to pick one, the white s cab I drive was one of the very few that checked RAS, which I thought to be one of the most important options. I wouldn't doubt it becoming standard on 992.2, all 911s should have RAS. No complaints or problems with twitchyness in all my use (more likely twitchyness is not caused by RAS but caused by fresh tires + steering being very precise which means micro movements do translate (which is awesome imho, especially if you turn PSM off)). Ocassionally the dash shows an error when turning the car on which is fixed by restarting the car, so not really an issue.

Quick Reply: Sport Auto says skip the RAS and PDCC