Sponsored by:

Does Anything Work Well on This Car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 11:45 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Golfster
It’s a relief to find fault with a car or specific options to comfortably justify not purchasing said car or specific options.
Goes to show how incredible the 911 is in general. The OP creating a list based off other people’s issues that aren’t truly issues.

And let’s not forget, most that post onto a forum are looking to resolve issues. So you’ll see more of them than there truly is in the grand scheme. Seldom do we see posters glowing about a car just for fun.. forums are best for troubleshooting DIY tasks.

Sure you can roam the 992 forum and find issues, but that’s one persons opinion amongst hundreds of others. We don’t know if it’s a user error, if Porsche has a software patch in the works, etc.

I could only imagine my father buying this 992. He can barely figure out how to text and save photos, let alone being able to utilize so many features on a tech savvy vehicle
The following users liked this post:
rangerfan94 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 10:53 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

I’ve never owned a perfect car, and I’ve owned a lot of cars. Which means it’s about the owner and his/her priorities and expectations that either mesh well with what the car does well or not. A big part of that equation is cost to acquire. The greater the financial stretch the more perfect the car must be to justify the stretch. This often results in buyer’s remorse.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:58 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by ant922599
Thank you. I wish we could have a 'I hate the 992' thread (or forum) so all those people can just f°°° off and make friends over there.
👍
The "What don't you like about the 992?" thread was put out to pasture by the moderators several months ago, never to be found again. For quite some time, it was the most visited thread with the most comments on the 992 forum.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:32 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
The "What don't you like about the 992?" thread was put out to pasture by the moderators several months ago, never to be found again. For quite some time, it was the most visited thread with the most comments on the 992 forum.
You're tellin’ me. My OP on the 991 forum looking for honest unbiased opinions from the guys over there, got ABSORBED by that thread.

Originally Posted by jkautz
I was in the market not too long ago between getting a 991.2 and 992, also had a few other non-P cars that were in the mix.

It really came down to getting a car I always dreamed of buying in the 911.. especially now that I am at a point in my life that makes this dream possible.

After extensive research and comparisons, I came down to the final choice between the 991.2 and 992.

I found myself holding back on the 991.2, even with great deals available when I was comparing it to the 992. Several things stood out to me that ultimately helped me make my decision.

As for the exterior. The new design rear end is my favorite part. The round dominating wide stance along with the 3D light bar just adds to the perfect curves on the rear. A definitive design upgrade over the 991 IMO. With that said, the 992 standard front end turned me off with the massive smiling plastic compared to the the 991 keeping a classic Porsche look (however the 992 remedied this with a sport design option). I love the look of the 991 and the 992, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

However, the interior is what made the 991.2 look 15+ years outdated. The 991 uses matte plastic and a small screen that reminds me of an old ‘05 Lexus. The technology of a 2019 Porsche should not be that of an old early turn of the century car. The screen and the gauges needed to make a significant leap in technology, which they did. I still think the 991 has character inside and out, but it is dated. I believe the lack in tech should and still looks good for the high-end performance targeted variants of the 911 (i.e. Turbos, GT3, GT2RS).. but the base, S, GTS needed a GT oriented interior, and the 992 put the 911 on par with the competition.

This doesn’t go without saying the 992 doesn’t have its flaws on the interior. Not a fan of the black shiny plastic center console which seems to be an option for many high end manufacturers to blend the screens with the rest of the car. Though I do like it a lot better than the matte plastic overload of buttons and trim that we see in the 991. I don’t like having to pay extra for upgrade trims in the 992, though you must to avoid that awful plastic look.

I know the obscured gauges are a big talking point, though I haven’t had an issue myself with it. And the infamous “nubbin” has been an even more polarizing subject. Though I feel it blends with the 992 cockpit well, and the bulbous style shifter of old needed to go.

Don’t get me wrong. The 991 still has great style and character, but the 992 has just made it look so outdated!! I will however be with the purists when the 992 starts rolling out the high end variants, and hopefully they don’t have an overload of “tech”. Those cars are designer for one purpose in mind, performance and speed.

The 992 and it’s current variants NEEDED to take a big step up and bring the overall feel of the car into the 21st century.

What are your guys thoughts comparing both?
And it never updated each time a post was made. And mind you, my post was legit.. there was no bashing or anything like that; not from any angle of both the 991 and 992. It’s pretty wild how much moderating is done around here. lol

It doesn’t matter if someone starts a thread.. the mods control the outcome.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:11 PM
Lionel Gracia
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
This is starting to be a joke. Let's see,
1. The Homelink is a disaster
2. The door handles are annoying at best
3. Two dials are obstructed by the steering wheel
4. The comfort access is hit or miss
5. Carplay is buggy
6. Burmeister and Bose makes the doors and dash buzz
7. The front park assist cameras give a highly distorted view
8. The A.S.S needs to be deactivated with each start up (if you want to deactivate it)
9. The Porsche Connect App is problematic
10. Everyone feels that the Night Vision Assist is useless.
11. The cupholder location is intrusive, especially with the manual

So what technologies actually work great on this car? I mean other than the engine, transmission, and handling? I honestly have not see one post about a technology on this car that works as advertised or that is at least as good as you'd get on a Honda. And I'm not asking about what you can/choose to ignore or tolerate (like the obstructed dials). What technology on this car is actually designed really well and works at least as good as it would on a Honda?
I picked up my 992 order 3 weeks ago and the car is amazing. The homelink issue is my only complaint, a bit difficult to access but an easy solution is a garage door opener, no biggie.
Other than that, no complaints! Oh, maybe a speeding ticket I got a couple days ago 🙄 worth It!
Old 01-11-2020, 07:12 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 824 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Lionel Gracia
I picked up my 992 order 3 weeks ago and the car is amazing. The homelink issue is my only complaint, a bit difficult to access but an easy solution is a garage door opener, no biggie.
Other than that, no complaints! Oh, maybe a speeding ticket I got a couple days ago 🙄 worth It!
my homelike is flawless.. the only issue I have is the profiles will not allow you to switch while the car is moving, even at 1 or 2 mph... This is obviously a bug that I am sure will be fixed..

but the GPS activation is amazing,,, and if that doesn't work you can short cut it to the steering wheel button
Old 01-11-2020, 08:54 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

So what does the OP currently drive? I’d love to hear that.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:06 PM
G650
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Lionel Gracia
One solution you can try is to add a homelink widget onto your home screen like this;

If, for some reason, your homelink doesn’t pop up automatically you can then easily access it from the home screen. I’ve also added the start/stop disable button here too.
The following users liked this post:
Caliporsche (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 07:15 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 405 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by G650
One solution you can try is to add a homelink widget onto your home screen like this;

If, for some reason, your homelink doesn’t pop up automatically you can then easily access it from the home screen. I’ve also added the start/stop disable button here too.
Does a press on the homescreen button for Homelink make the garage door go up or down or does it take you to another screen that requires additional presses?
Old 01-14-2020, 07:48 PM
G650
Racer

Hou, takes two more taps after that, so not a perfect solution, but it helps. The majority of the time GPS makes the prompt come up automatically, but this is a good back up for the rare occasion that it doesn’t. Beats poking around in the menus.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:21 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

FWIW, I tell my Apple watch to "open garage door" when I'm driving around the corner and avoid HomeLink altogether :-)

We have a new Honda Odyssey and it has niggling issues. The automatic tailgate open doesn't work consistently with the factory-installed hitch, the HomeLink closes the garage door but doesn't open it (issue for my wife--I use the aforementioned watch solution), Apple's Car Play only works well/consistently when the phone is attached via cable (not Bluetooth), the Cabin View is basically worthless (although we also don't need it). However, it drives well, has (for a minivan) pretty decent acceleration, braking, and cornering, the ingress/egress work well, the middle row seats move around for easy configuration for our kids and their friends, and we can haul a ton of stuff along with people. In other words, the main purpose of the vehicle works as expected. I think there are always going to be some people who find some things wrong no matter what car. I agree with the majority of the folks that a 911 is meant to be driven, not a home entertainment center/drink valet so if it is less-than-perfect in those aspects but excels in its purpose then it's a win.

Peace,

Mark
Old 01-15-2020, 12:41 AM
spyder fan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to comment, but I'm not allowed!
Old 01-15-2020, 02:37 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 405 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by G650
Hou, takes two more taps after that, so not a perfect solution, but it helps. The majority of the time GPS makes the prompt come up automatically, but this is a good back up for the rare occasion that it doesn’t. Beats poking around in the menus.
Thanks. I assume if you use GPS to bring up the prompt when opening the garage door that you still need to use the widget to close it once in the garage (I always close my garage door before I unlock the car and get out for security). Or does the prompt screen stay on long enough after you pull in the garage?
Old 01-15-2020, 04:02 AM
G650
Racer

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
Thanks. I assume if you use GPS to bring up the prompt when opening the garage door that you still need to use the widget to close it once in the garage (I always close my garage door before I unlock the car and get out for security). Or does the prompt screen stay on long enough after you pull in the garage?
In my case the door closes automatically after I drive in, but I’ve noticed the GPS pop up widget stays up for as long as you’re in the vicinity of the door, so I guess you should be able to just pull in and then push the same virtual button a second time to close.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:09 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
The system is supposed to work as follows:
- pull on to your property
- car gps recognises location
- car presents the correct HomeLink profile
- driver activates option to open door

Brilliant! The problem is that in practice it operates like this:

On arrival:
- driver activates door and pulls into garage
- proximity camera appears on PCM
- HomeLink options obscured
> cant shut door using HomeLink

On departure:
- driver starts car
- no HomeLink options on screen
> have to open door with a remote

Or:
- driver reverses out of garage
- reversing camera obscures HomeLink options
- need camera to make safe exit from driveway
> have to close door with a remote

The programmers have not factored in the other PCM functions that may be working concurrently.

You can put a HomeLink widget on your home screen but you still have to activate homescreen >select widget >select taught profiles option >select correct door profile >send signal. That’s four or five presses depending on where you start from.

It’s a poor implementation.

Edit: as Oflow says below. The car itself is excellent. Definitely a first world problem.

Last edited by JHesketh; 01-15-2020 at 06:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JHesketh:
aggie57 (01-15-2020), TurboS_GG (01-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Does Anything Work Well on This Car?