Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Anything Work Well on This Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 05:19 AM
OFlow
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 24 Posts

All the actual "car parts" are brilliant (engine, steering, suspension, brakes). The rest is nice to have but not critical.
The following 2 users liked this post by OFlow:
JHesketh (01-15-2020), NigelPlays (01-17-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 11:46 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by JHesketh
The system is supposed to work as follows:
- pull on to your property
- car gps recognises location
- car presents the correct HomeLink profile
- driver activates option to open door

Brilliant! The problem is that in practice it operates like this:

On arrival:
- driver activates door and pulls into garage
- proximity camera appears on PCM
- HomeLink options obscured
> cant shut door using HomeLink

On departure:
- driver starts car
- no HomeLink options on screen
> have to open door with a remote

Or:
- driver reverses out of garage
- reversing camera obscures HomeLink options
- need camera to make safe exit from driveway
> have to close door with a remote

The programmers have not factored in the other PCM functions that may be working concurrently.

You can put a HomeLink widget on your home screen but you still have to activate homescreen >select widget >select taught profiles option >select correct door profile >send signal. That’s four or five presses depending on where you start from.

It’s a poor implementation.

Edit: as Oflow says below. The car itself is excellent. Definitely a first world problem.
That sucks. Not sure what's wrong with 3 buttons on the bottom side of the rearview mirror like every other car with Homelink I've owned.
The following 5 users liked this post by HouTexCarreraS:
aggie57 (01-20-2020), Denny Swift (01-15-2020), JHesketh (01-15-2020), RudyP (01-15-2020), TurboS_GG (01-16-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 12:22 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,544 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
That sucks. Not sure what's wrong with 3 buttons on the bottom side of the rearview mirror like every other car with Homelink I've owned.
Seriously, this is very dumb on Porsche’s part. It isn’t a huge part of the ownership experience and certainly doesn’t ruin the car but as a self-contained decision it has zero user benefit and all downside. Makes you wonder what they were thinking.
The following 3 users liked this post by RudyP:
Denny Swift (01-15-2020), Maalox (01-18-2020), TurboS_GG (01-16-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 01:22 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 826 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
Seriously, this is very dumb on Porsche’s part. It isn’t a huge part of the ownership experience and certainly doesn’t ruin the car but as a self-contained decision it has zero user benefit and all downside. Makes you wonder what they were thinking.
It can easily be fixed with a software update... and I am sure it will.
The following users liked this post:
TurboS_GG (01-16-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 01:34 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
They were thinking that buttons and wire cost money to manufacture and install. Virtual buttons, however, cost virtually nothing...

Modern vehicle screen interfaces are not nearly as beneficial to the end user as they are to the manufacture so this just serves as another example on the long list of "why? why? why?" for the 992.
The following 6 users liked this post by limegreen:
Denny Swift (01-15-2020), dhirm5 (01-18-2020), JHesketh (01-15-2020), Noah Fect (01-15-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (01-15-2020), TurboS_GG (01-16-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-16-2020, 12:53 PM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

1. The Homelink is a disaster (mine works fine)
2. The door handles are annoying at best (mine work fine, plus they look a lot nicer than my previous 991.2).
3. Two dials are obstructed by the steering wheel (you don't need them, there is repeat info in places other than the two outside smaller dials)
4. The comfort access is hit or miss (disagree, mine works fine)
5. Carplay is buggy (An Apple problem)
6. Burmeister and Bose makes the doors and dash buzz (My previous Bose in my 991.2 was fine and my Burmeister in my 992 is rock solid.)
7. The front park assist cameras give a highly distorted view (All wide angled lens have slight distortion for obvious reasons)
8. The A.S.S needs to be deactivated with each start up (if you want to deactivate it) (True. Mine is set to off in Individual mode so I just turn the sports chrono dial on the steering wheel each time I get in to individual mode, which also puts sports exhaust on. Takes me under a second)
9. The Porsche Connect App is problematic (Mine is fine)
10. Everyone feels that the Night Vision Assist is useless. (most night vision assist systems on cars are not great. Which is why I didn't opt for it)
11. The cupholder location is intrusive, especially with the manual (Meh)

The following 2 users liked this post by Senna01:
992Sam (01-16-2020), NigelPlays (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 01:48 PM
KSEGG
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
This is starting to be a joke. Let's see,
1. The Homelink is a disaster
2. The door handles are annoying at best
3. Two dials are obstructed by the steering wheel
4. The comfort access is hit or miss
5. Carplay is buggy
6. Burmeister and Bose makes the doors and dash buzz
7. The front park assist cameras give a highly distorted view
8. The A.S.S needs to be deactivated with each start up (if you want to deactivate it)
9. The Porsche Connect App is problematic
10. Everyone feels that the Night Vision Assist is useless.
11. The cupholder location is intrusive, especially with the manual

So what technologies actually work great on this car? I mean other than the engine, transmission, and handling? I honestly have not see one post about a technology on this car that works as advertised or that is at least as good as you'd get on a Honda. And I'm not asking about what you can/choose to ignore or tolerate (like the obstructed dials). What technology on this car is actually designed really well and works at least as good as it would on a Honda?
Sounds like you don't like the car at all. And not sure what your expectations are. I personally love it, but I also accept almost no brand new car, be it a $20K Kia or a $2mil Chiron - is perfect. No such thing.

That said, whatever "issues" crops up with .1 gets usually taken care of at .2. (Which is why I would usually wait for .2)
Old 01-16-2020, 02:29 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Senna01
1. The Homelink is a disaster (mine works fine)
2. The door handles are annoying at best (mine work fine, plus they look a lot nicer than my previous 991.2).
3. Two dials are obstructed by the steering wheel (you don't need them, there is repeat info in places other than the two outside smaller dials)
4. The comfort access is hit or miss (disagree, mine works fine)
5. Carplay is buggy (An Apple problem)
6. Burmeister and Bose makes the doors and dash buzz (My previous Bose in my 991.2 was fine and my Burmeister in my 992 is rock solid.)
7. The front park assist cameras give a highly distorted view (All wide angled lens have slight distortion for obvious reasons)
8. The A.S.S needs to be deactivated with each start up (if you want to deactivate it) (True. Mine is set to off in Individual mode so I just turn the sports chrono dial on the steering wheel each time I get in to individual mode, which also puts sports exhaust on. Takes me under a second)
9. The Porsche Connect App is problematic (Mine is fine)
10. Everyone feels that the Night Vision Assist is useless. (most night vision assist systems on cars are not great. Which is why I didn't opt for it)
11. The cupholder location is intrusive, especially with the manual (Meh)
i don’t know why this made me laugh but it did. 😁

Nobody thinks about any of this stuff once they start rolling.
The following 2 users liked this post by JHesketh:
992Sam (01-16-2020), Raven 666 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 06:17 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 3point8
just wait a year or two for porsche to fix all this. never buy a first year model

Amen - mine has been in the shop for over 2 months.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:20 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JHesketh
i don’t know why this made me laugh but it did. 😁

Nobody thinks about any of this stuff once they start rolling.
I think that's right. Once you are driving, the car is amazing. But the OP's gripes are not entirely wrong. I couldn't get my Homelink to work. My doors buzz with bass from the Bose stereo. It is a pain to have to look around the wheel to see the outside gauges. Carplay was buggy for me too. The new tech has not worked the way it should. I assume it will all get fixed over time. But I didn't expect it from Porsche.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:40 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by enzom
Amen - mine has been in the shop for over 2 months.
that's ****ing absurd and completely unacceptable imo. can you make them buy it back from you at this point? where are you located?

in maryland, 30 consecutive days in the shop, they write you a check and you buy something else.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:45 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Exclamation

3. Two dials are obstructed by the steering wheel
Even the screens could be reconfigured in software, of course - it would be interesting to see them implement an option that brought back a virtual "overlapping gauges" solution like in the 996, 997 & 991!
Old 01-18-2020, 06:51 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhirm5
that's ****ing absurd and completely unacceptable imo. can you make them buy it back from you at this point? where are you located?

in maryland, 30 consecutive days in the shop, they write you a check and you buy something else.
Working on it.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:56 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts

Bad Boys like the 992

The following users liked this post:
992Sam (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 10:02 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Oh wait, that's my 2012 997.2 GTS below and I cannot see the outer gauges on it either. Lol, I never noticed that until these crazy 992 threads apparently started by 991 owners.

Seriously, one has to be just about retarded if this hinders your driving a 911. I am on 997.2 number 6 and never once noticed it until people like OP came along and now I am ruined for life. Oh the anxiety of not being able to see . . . oh crap, I don't know what I am missing because I cannot see it.

So does the guy starting this thread actually have a 992 with ALL of these things wrong with HIS very own 002 or did some poor sloth with too much inactivity and too much time on their hands go through the 992 threads and compile a list of every single complaint he could find from different people about different cars?

I mean seriously, the *** thing is a little annoying, but how difficult can it be to hit a button or turn a ***?

I manage to hit buttons for PSE, Sports Plus and Bun Warners every time I get into my 911 and I still manage to get to my destination timely. Surely, OP could manage hitting one button or turning one *** without it interfering with his busy schedule. Dude, it can be done without interfering with life's major activities.

BTW, thank GOD my Sports Plus button activates my PASM button as well or I don't know if I could handle having to hit another button. I would surely need to start a thread and perhaps a support group.

And the garage door, put an opener on the visor and whalla! Its worked great for me for years even in cars much more expensive than a Porsche 911. Suppose I need to watch a Youtube video on programming those door openrs, but I am too busy turning off *** and does one really need a front end camera, much less 4HD quality front bumper cam. I mean come on, hopefully you are facing the front already and are not blind if behind the wheel.

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug H:
992Sam (01-20-2020), G650 (01-20-2020), Raven 666 (01-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Does Anything Work Well on This Car?