Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Anything Work Well on This Car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 05:36 PM
3point8
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

just wait a year or two for porsche to fix all this. never buy a first year model
Old 12-17-2019, 06:30 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,481 Likes on 5,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
No. I put a deposit down, but I'm really scared to actually lock it in based on everything I see. There is no way I will buy a 2020. Hopefully when the 2021 models arrive, I'll be comfortable enough to pull the trigger, but this is ridiculous. I'm trying, really trying to love this car, but all the bugs scare the crap out of me. When I bought my Boxster, there were close to zero issues or complaints. It was the same with the 991. I don't recall anything close to this. It's a serious question.

What technology really works well on this car?
The "technology" that kicks in when you drive the car.

Isn't that what cars are for? To be driven? Or am I missing something?
The following 5 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
992Sam (12-17-2019), chance6 (12-19-2019), detansinn (12-17-2019), dj997 (01-15-2020), twospyders (01-12-2020)
Old 12-17-2019, 08:31 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 176 Posts

2019 Cayenne Turbo owner here -- took the second special-order CTT delivery at our dealer, almost exactly a year ago. We've had our share of little frustrations, mostly revolving around the electronics. Clearly, Porsche's move into more advanced programming and systems has been and is a work in progress. A brief list of foibles we've experienced:
  • PCM screen turned 100 percent cyan the night we brought it home, as I was wrestling with getting Homelink programmed. (Yes, the dreaded Blue Screen of Death -- in Stuttgart form!) Restarting wouldn't restore the screen. I nearly came out of my skin in anger (this was our first Porsche), then relented, got out a wrench, and disconnected the LiFePo battery on a lark. All systems restarted and came up normally. Hasn't happened since. But man, what a way to bust my Porsche cherry.
  • HVAC programming was terrible, activating the blower motor to obscene degrees while offering very little wind as a result. The "fix" was to fiddle and play with the PCM settings in such a way as to set the vents and speeds pretty much opposite of what you might want. Result: Calm, cool breezes that work just fine. But it's ridiculous the software QA testers couldn't catch this one. Or maybe they did, and it was ignored...
  • Various systems failure messages at startup on a semi-regular, random basis. High Beam Assist not Available; PAS Restricted; Driving Light Control Error; etc. All would clear, with normal systems operation, after a restart. Clearly, some part of the power-on self-test is fluky. Either some sensors report bad diagnostic data or the PCM programming is interpreting what it's getting incorrectly.
  • Rear seal across the front of the rear hatch looked like it was installed by two blind monkeys. (I thought our car was built by the early-drinking Slovakian crew on a late Friday afternoon.) Dealer ordered and replaced, but managed to drop the active aero mechanism across the back hatch glass, gouging it. Replacement rear windscreen took another three weeks.
  • Plasticky metallic vent adjustment lever fell off in my wife's hand on the way home from work. Not worth a trip the dealer. I J-B Welded it back on.
I could go on, but won't. Here's the deal. These are minor quibbles to us. Yes, compared with the dozen or so Japanese-built cars we've owner over the years, our Porsche ranks tops on Annoying Things that Should Never Occur on a Car Built by a Major Manufacturer in the Year 2019. But they're annoyances. The mechanical bits of the car have been FANTASTIC. We love the thing. The car was for my wife (anniversary present), and I think if she had a choice between me pushing her stalled Turbo off the railroad tracks and being flattened as a result, or me thinking the better of it and letting the train have its way with the Cayenne... well, she'd be okay with being a widow. (And no, the Cayenne hasn't left us stranded.)

We love the car so much that I'm about to place an order for a 992. You'll see me post some questions and threads here over the next few months as we move forward. The little problems here and there I've been reading about in the 992 forum are generally the same things we gripe about in the 9Y0 forum. For my wife and me, the electronic quibbles, questionable ergonomic decisions, and occasional minor quality foibles do not even begin to overcome the general greatness of our Cayenne. It's far and away the most exciting, best-driving, most spectacular car we've ever owned. So much that Porsche is about to get ANOTHER $150K of our hard-earned money on a 992.

Fellas, as a relative Porsche newbie who dove in and bought a first-year 9Y0, my advice on the 992 is this: Don't sweat the details. These cars are still special. The mechanical bits are as stout as ever. The driving dynamics haven't worsened -- in fact, in my opinion, they're only getting better, after recent back-to-back extended test drives of brand-new 991.2 and 992 C4Ses. And yes, the new electronics and tech will get there.

If you love the 992 but are afraid of buying one, don't be. I think the car will be just fine.

Last edited by JCWLS3; 12-17-2019 at 08:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCWLS3:
DINO87 (12-17-2019), RudyP (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 08:41 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

I don’t think enough people realize how easy some of the tech issues can be remedied through a software patch. We’re in the 21st century. Porsche decided to join.. and the patches will come, and it’s just the way it is in today’s world. So in that sense. I have no worries.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:38 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,563 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Ah, Rennlist. "Excellence was expected, but apathy was accepted."
Unfortunately I think that is a profound and truthful statement!

Originally Posted by 2020
I agree with all of your statements and for the most part they are correct. However I didn't buy this car for the technology...
That's sort of my point. Technology is the last thing I want. But when they force me to have technology that I'd much prefer to not have, I expect it to work. I've never had a car with NAV and would love it were optional on this car. But if they give it to me, I want it to work. I'd much prefer regular fixed door handles, but if they force these silly ones on me I expect them to work. Homelink? That's certainly not new technology, but yeah, I have 5 garage bays and I'd love to have three buttons on the mirror. I didn't even mention the nubin because there is no way I'd ever drive a pdk. I'm a manual guy. The only technology that really sounded good was the critter/pedestrain detection night vision, but everyone seems to think that it won't work.

Originally Posted by moomin
OP is behaving like a toddler having a tantrum, the post was never going to be constructive...
Seriously? I think the opposite, but you're entitled to your opinion. To expect things to work on the "best engineered car in the world" is behaving like a toddler? And my question was 100% serious.

Originally Posted by 992Sam
Are you joking? I just test drove one on two occasions and was floored with the tech on this thing... Sure I ordered some extra stuff but the car I drove had all but the night assist and all worked just fine.

As for buggy stuff.. well it is a Gen 1 992.. my Gen 1 BMW 540 also had some bugs that were fixed with software updates... that's what happens when you're an early adopter .. As we speak right now they are doing a software recall on 279 cars waiting to be delivered due to some improvement to certain features.. this is what happens when you buy a high tech car and buy it as soon as it comes out.
Which technology floored you? Please tell me. That's what I was asking. And if the technology floors you, why does it all need to be fixed via software updates as you say? I test drove two and drove a friend's.

Originally Posted by 3point8
just wait a year or two for porsche to fix all this. never buy a first year model
That's my plan. As I said, I'm really trying to love this car.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The "technology" that kicks in when you drive the car.

Isn't that what cars are for? To be driven? Or am I missing something?
Yes that is exactly what I want. As stated above, I hate technology. I truly hate it. I don't want NAV, I don't want emergency braking, I don't want PDK, I want regular door handles, I want a key that I can insert into the dash and turn, I want a 6-speed manual. Driving and enjoying the car is exactly what I want. I don't want technology that is forced on me to drive me crazy with frustration because it doesn't work. If I'm force to have it, it better freaking work. But I suppose only toddlers would expect that... That being said, I could really love this car as is if the technology that it has as standard just worked as advertised.
The following 4 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
Driveby (01-15-2020), Porsche911dream (12-19-2019), ThomasCarreraGTS (01-15-2020), verstraete (01-14-2020)
Old 12-17-2019, 10:01 PM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

As an owner and early adopter I can tell you that in my case, other than night vision which I don’t have, I have not had any of the other problems. And I have pushed her hard. No home link issues (have 3 garage doors), no wireless car play issues, no Bose bass issues, Porsche connect has worked when I’ve used it, the door handles are fantastic and have worked well with comfort access (very eventful getting in, reminding me this is a special car), cup holder resides in the glove box (recently came out at a drive through and clicked it in on demand), I really like the 360 cameras: great to park it anywhere with no hassle.

this car might not be for everyone, but rest assured there are some of us that love it and have no issues with it, and are out there enjoying every minute of it!
The following 5 users liked this post by Sebvelez:
992Sam (12-18-2019), Golfster (12-17-2019), rangerfan94 (12-18-2019), tcirillo (01-20-2020), TimD (01-11-2020)
Old 12-17-2019, 10:50 PM
G650
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 101 Posts

[QUOTE=Denny Swift;16295781]This is starting to be a joke. Let's see,
1. The Homelink is a disaster
2. The door handles are annoying at best
3. Two dials are obstructed by the steering wheel
4. The comfort access is hit or miss
5. Carplay is buggy
6. Burmeister and Bose makes the doors and dash buzz
7. The front park assist cameras give a highly distorted view
8. The A.S.S needs to be deactivated with each start up (if you want to deactivate it)
9. The Porsche Connect App is problematic
10. Everyone feels that the Night Vision Assist is useless.
11. The cupholder location is intrusive, especially with the manual

From someone who owns a 992 Carrera 2S:

1.) Homelink: It took 1 minute to set it up, and most of that was typing in a location name that I liked. It works flawlessly, I drive up, screen pops up, I push the virtual button. Same thing when I leave, by the time I’ve got my seatbelt on and the car backed out, the screen is up.
2.) Door Handles: They pop out, I pull on them, door opens. Is there anything else they’re supposed to do?
3.) Outer dials: OMG!!!! I have to move my head slightly 1 inch or so to the left or right, you know, the same thing you do all the time when checking for traffic, etc, etc...
4.) Comfort access: Key in pocket, I walk up, place hand under handle, it pops out. After Closing the door I touch the front of the handle, car locks. Just like on my old BMW.
5.) Car play: Works flawlessly.
6.) I have the Bose System: Sounds great, no buzzing, but then I don’t put crap in the door pocket next to the speakers that could cause it do that.
7.) Don’t have the front camera Park Assist, I use things known as the eyes in my head.
8.) Auto start/stop: I dial the drive selector to “Sport”, “Sport Plus”, or “Individual”, where its disabled. Other times I leave it on if I’m going to be in LA traffic.
9.) Connect App: don’t use it much, as I bought a car, not a bloody smart phone. But when I have used it, its worked as needed.
10.) Night Vision: On a car, seriously???? Ok, comes in handy on a jet When you’re flying instrument approaches down to category II minimums, and even then it’s only useful because it’s displayed on a HUD directly in front of you where you can use it. On a car, it’s just a useless gimmick.
11.) Cup holder: O.F.F.S!!! Are you a driver or a passenger????

(Rant over.)
The following 10 users liked this post by G650:
992Sam (12-17-2019), Golfster (12-17-2019), jkautz (12-17-2019), mathus7 (12-18-2019), Michael Smith (12-18-2019), phangstaz (12-18-2019), politeperson (01-14-2020), Rich_Jenkins (12-18-2019), Sebvelez (12-17-2019), tcirillo (01-20-2020) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-18-2019, 07:46 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,325 Likes on 748 Posts

After owning 4 different Porsche generations and 13 different 911 Pcars it shouldn't surprise me but still does how some guys will start a thread slamming the newest generation while not owning it or barely even have test driven one.
992 guys enjoy your cars. There will be some gremlins in any new car launch but the 992 looks like a great performance Pcar.
The following 4 users liked this post by Penn4S:
992Sam (12-18-2019), dhirm5 (12-18-2019), Michael Smith (12-18-2019), PeterB123 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 07:51 AM
ant922599
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
After owning 4 different Porsche generations and 13 different 911 Pcars it shouldn't surprise me but still does how some guys will start a thread slamming the newest generation while not owning it or barely even have test driven one.
992 guys enjoy your cars. There will be some gremlins in any new car launch but the 992 looks like a great performance Pcar.
Thank you. I wish we could have a 'I hate the 992' thread (or forum) so all those people can just f°°° off and make friends over there.
👍
The following 3 users liked this post by ant922599:
cr-997 (12-18-2019), detansinn (12-18-2019), PBM (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 09:42 AM
TSOS
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My apple car play issues seem to be getting less and less
The difficulty seeing the dials are a non issue. The info on them is not something you need to see all the time
The homelink issue I've resolved with just having a garage opener on my visor. It does work decent when I pull up to the house. I have a very long driveway so it gives it time to be recognized. It works poorly when leaving.
The comfort access is daily nuisance. Its been my largest frustration. I have to hold the key right next to the handle for it to work so Ive given up for the most part and just use the key fob to lock and unlock
With all that being said. I love the car. Ive owned a 991.1 and this is miles better in almost every way. Ill deal with the small issues. The handling and acceleration are great. I just left an E63s and this feels faster
Old 12-18-2019, 09:49 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 255 Posts

The outer two dials have always been obstructed from view, at least from 997 on. Also it's "Burmester". Homelink has always been hit or miss for me in the 911's I have owned, but I just keep the remote in the car, problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 09:50 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by G650
10.) Night Vision: On a car, seriously???? Ok, comes in handy on a jet When you’re flying instrument approaches down to category II minimums, and even then it’s only useful because it’s displayed on a HUD directly in front of you where you can use it. On a car, it’s just a useless gimmick.
Haha... I'm with you. I have a "Night vision" FLIR camera on my airplane (albeit in the MFD, not HUD) and I don't even use it in that application!

Last edited by RudyP; 12-18-2019 at 11:23 AM.
G650 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 10:05 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 572 Posts

every thing is relative
went to drive a lotus Evora 400 .. It took 20 minutes to start the car , including 3 times where we had to get out of the car , lock and then unlock and finally we managed to start the car .All this apparently is normal !!!! .All of this was electronic malfunction as the car would not recognize the key
the radio was pathetic, the dials were a joke but steering, sound, engine , MT were great
it was a great car, and despite of the above I am considering buying one

Last edited by pitt911; 12-18-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:11 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 824 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by G650

(Rant over.)
I had a suspicion that G650 was the Gulfstream ... not many know what CAT II mins is..

I should rename my self A332
G650 (12-19-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 11:30 AM
Golfster
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

It’s a relief to find fault with a car or specific options to comfortably justify not purchasing said car or specific options.

Quick Reply: Does Anything Work Well on This Car?