Sponsored by:

Battery Tender for 992

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 11:58 AM
Chalky992
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Seacil
I'd be interested to learn your success with Porsche's maintainer. After selecting the Lithium Ion mode, I could not get the charger to stay on line for more than 10 or so minutes, either through the 12V port or directly to the battery. Then, I locked the doors, AND the charger/maintainer worked as it should, but again it didn't want to maintain a charging status after several hours. As I'll be leaving the car unattended for a couple of months later on, I'd like to have assurance that I can maintain my battery for extended periods.

How did it go with this? I am just readying my car for winter storage :-( and I have the Porsche Charge o mat and I am wondering whether to use the 12V socket in the footwell and have the cable out of the door for 6 months.... or extend the cables under the hood using some CTEK extensions . Did you find any issues with the charger... I like you could not get it working properly but maybe I had to lock the vehicle...will try again later... Question - did yours continue to be OK after two months? How did you run cables?

Cheers
Old 11-05-2021, 12:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

^Chalky992, I've been playing a little bit with this, as I start to get my GT3 ready for winter hibernation with the Lithium battery. I plan to use the cigarette socket in the passenger footwell with my Porsche Charge O Mat Pro.

Here are the key steps, assuming the car was recently driven/ turned on / ignition cycled (if the car has sat for more than 30 minutes, first cycle the ignition):

1) Connect battery maintainer to car
2) Plug in batter maintainer to wall outlet
3) Select the battery mode (lithium battery)
4) Lock car

This is from memory, so I hope I have this all correct. Hope this helps. I still have a few questions & uncertainties about this process. My prior Porsches were so much easier.

Make note, the charger does get pretty warm as it tops up the battery to full charge. FYI.

I'm interested to learn more from others inputs, too.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:00 AM
JCH997
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

For long term storage, I use CTEK connected to the battery, not the 12V outlet in the footwell. If the power goes off for any reason, the 12V socket powers off and the multi-step 12V protocol needs to be redone. With a direct connection to the battery, the connection simply restores when the power comes back on.

I got very frustrated by the 12V. I'd go through the protocol, I'd recheck it after an hour, it appeared to be connected, but I'd check back the next day and often found the connection had dropped. I know this was my user error but I couldn't consistently connect though the outlet - not an issue with the direct connection to the battery.

Agree on the charger getting warm whille it tops up the battery.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:44 PM
Elevn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anything to keep in mind before installing the quick disconnect to the battery terminals? I’ve called my dealer service rep twice now and can’t get a response and winter is fast approaching. He mentioned he thought there were some extra steps w the Li Ion but never has confirmed.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:40 AM
noznow
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Connecting Battery Charger Leads Directly to Battery Terminals

I have used a Deltran Battery Tender for many years on a variety of vehicles including motorcycles with no issues. I noticed that the dealer charges showroom cars (when they had cars in the showroom before COVID) by connecting the positive charger lead to the positive terminal on the battery and the negative lead to the ground post on the opposite side of the battery bay area instead of the negative terminal of the battery.
I questioned this and why I could not connect both leads directly to the battery. I was told by the service writer it would be no problem connecting both leads directly to the battery terminals. I was also told the reason why they advise connecting the negative lead to the ground post is to avoid the possibility of a spark when attaching the negative lead, but if the leads are permanently attached to the battery terminals there is no concern about “sparking”.
In the past I have always connected the leads directly to the battery. The same with heated gear for my motorcycle(s) over the years. Have I just been lucky, or was the advice by the service writer accurate?
What do you all think?
The following users liked this post:
Zeek1 (12-31-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 08:21 AM
JCH997
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

I've had no issues with it over the two years I have used it.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:16 PM
Gators-Go
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a basic 2021 992 coupe. I bought the Porsche maintainer for $200+ connected directly to the battery. I went out of town last week and we had a power outage. I called the dealer and they confirmed that with a power outage it deselects the mode and stops charging. The dealer said most people have a home watch service so the car needs to be checked every hew weeks in case of a power outage. I called a friend and he checked and sure enough it lost the settings and wasn’t charging. The dealer offered to refund my $$ and said Porsche decided to eliminate the auto on after power outages but the previous model did.
I have a Nuco Genesis 1 on my boat battery at my lake house and Nuco confirmed that the selected mode works again when power is restored.

peterdouglas (01-19-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 11:22 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Deltran and connect directly to battery terminals.
67Beetle (10-20-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 03:34 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by noznow
I have used a Deltran Battery Tender for many years on a variety of vehicles including motorcycles with no issues. I noticed that the dealer charges showroom cars (when they had cars in the showroom before COVID) by connecting the positive charger lead to the positive terminal on the battery and the negative lead to the ground post on the opposite side of the battery bay area instead of the negative terminal of the battery.
I questioned this and why I could not connect both leads directly to the battery. I was told by the service writer it would be no problem connecting both leads directly to the battery terminals. I was also told the reason why they advise connecting the negative lead to the ground post is to avoid the possibility of a spark when attaching the negative lead, but if the leads are permanently attached to the battery terminals there is no concern about “sparking”.
In the past I have always connected the leads directly to the battery. The same with heated gear for my motorcycle(s) over the years. Have I just been lucky, or was the advice by the service writer accurate?
What do you all think?
The service writer's advice was exactly correct. Lead acid batteries do generate hydrogen gas. They very occasionally blow up, so the point is to avoid sparks near the battery. If the terminals are permanently connected there is no risk of sparks.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:40 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 54 Posts

Why is there a sticker on the battery bar that shows a clamp with a line through it?
Old 04-16-2023, 10:06 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
Why is there a sticker on the battery bar that shows a clamp with a line through it?
I don't know what the "battery bar" is but obviously don't put a jumper cable clamp there.
There is a dedicated point to attach the negative cable. Look in your manual.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:59 AM
Hex
Pro

There is a flat bar on top of the battery. The sticker is a picture of a battery clamp and a battery terminal with a line through it. It appears to indicate no clamps on the battery terminals.
Old 04-17-2023, 12:59 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,007 Likes on 566 Posts

Correct...just to provide a little visual clarity in the image below. this would be the top hold down bracket...as garthg mentioned you should have dedicated jump points that should be used and outlined in the manual.

Old 04-17-2023, 02:36 PM
Hex
Pro

I’m not talking about jumping the battery. I’m talking about charging the battery. What’s the harm of just charging the battery directly at the poles?

Last edited by Hex; 04-17-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 05:15 PM
renn.tp
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 124 Posts

I’ve read LiPo batteries should be charged via the interior 12V port. I use the Porsche charge o mat pro, and while finicky, generally works well.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender for 992