Sponsored by:

Lane Change Assist

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 06:49 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,626 Likes on 781 Posts
Default Lane Change Assist

Does anyone have a video (or a link to one) showing Lane Change Assist (not Lane Keep Assist) in action? Our C4 locks in a week, and this is one option my wife and I are on the fence about. Nether of our last 2 Porsches had it but our AMG does; wondering how noticeable the warning lights are in the 992.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:23 PM
kayleia
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry I don't have a video but it's excellent, it works really well. 3 orange dots show up on the side view mirror whenever there's someone in your blind spot, or even if someone is coming up behind you quickly. It's very noticeable. I would recommend getting it.
The following 3 users liked this post by kayleia:
992Sam (11-25-2019), AlexCeres (11-22-2019), mathus7 (11-23-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 08:34 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by kayleia
Sorry I don't have a video but it's excellent, it works really well. 3 orange dots show up on the side view mirror whenever there's someone in your blind spot, or even if someone is coming up behind you quickly. It's very noticeable. I would recommend getting it.
+1. I really like it. Much nicer than BMW’s (I don’t like vibration). The dots are subtle when someone moves into your spot, and flash prominently if you turn on your signal.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:44 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Leaning toward adding it to the build.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:23 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,053 Likes on 2,976 Posts

Add it to the build. It's better than the lane change assist on our Mercedes as it also seems to be good at spotting not just someone in your blindspot, but also cars fast approaching it.
There's another thread posted by someone who opted not to spec it and now totally regrets it. This is something that can't be retrofitted and aftermarket solutions are janky.

Highly recommend it!
The following users liked this post:
992carreraS (11-24-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 11:22 PM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Had it in my 991.2 and loved it. Miss it in my current gt3. Not the end of the world if it’s not there though.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:03 AM
AutobahnMac911
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I have it in both my 718 and Cayenne and it is a nice feature, but the flip side is that it does fade in the background somewhat during normal use - I often forget it is even there and I can't say it has ever helped me avoid a collision. That said, I am a big advocate for properly setting your mirrors where you almost eliminate the blind spot in the first place. I know it is comforting to see the side of your car in your mirror, but if you widen them you can usually eliminate the blindspot completely. When set properly you can see cars transfer from your rear view to your side mirror and then into your peripheral vision. I'd rather see the car or motorcycle sitting near my rear bumper than be able to tell if my car is clean from the inside.
The following 3 users liked this post by AutobahnMac911:
G650 (11-25-2019), soguinness (11-25-2019), verstraete (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 12:32 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Does anyone have a video (or a link to one) showing Lane Change Assist (not Lane Keep Assist) in action? Our C4 locks in a week, and this is one option my wife and I are on the fence about. Nether of our last 2 Porsches had it but our AMG does; wondering how noticeable the warning lights are in the 992.
I was able to see how it works with the 992. A much better integration compared to the 991.2 that had red lights flash on the A pillar. I would spec it.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:31 AM
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 93 Posts

I much preferred the Boxsters lane warning lightly. It was a larger red led light built into the base of the side view mirror. It was much more prominent and not really a nuisance when you were looking straight ahead. The 992's is a step below, you have to really look at the mirror to notice it. I drive like I am driving my motorcycle so I have situational awareness of most of the cars around me. If I have to quickly change lanes for whatever reason I quickly look for the lane change light to confirm no one is there as I am turning. On occasion it does light up with me assuming no one was there and I have to stay in my lane. Under normal lane changes I just look at the mirror to confirm no one is in the next lane.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:41 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

I have had this facility on all my cars since 2007 - it’s a genuine safety aid.

Most of the time you hardly notice it is there but, without doubt, there have been a few occasions over twelve years that it has made me double check and avoid an incident. On those occasions it is a very welcome facility.

What I would not like though is this facility to be linked to an autonomous steering system.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:24 PM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

The Porsche configurator has the video demo if you click on the details. The video shows amber warning lights built into the outer corner of the side view mirror, which is a good spot I think. I find this feature very useful and would definitely not skip it.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:25 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by AutobahnMac911
That said, I am a big advocate for properly setting your mirrors where you almost eliminate the blind spot in the first place. I know it is comforting to see the side of your car in your mirror, but if you widen them you can usually eliminate the blindspot completely. When set properly you can see cars transfer from your rear view to your side mirror and then into your peripheral vision. I'd rather see the car or motorcycle sitting near my rear bumper than be able to tell if my car is clean from the inside.
So true! I saw some post somewhere several years ago (after driving most of my life checking out how clean my car was from the inside) and made the adjustment. Super uncomfortable (for me anyway) at first, but after a couple weeks it was transformative!

That said I will still probably spec the LCA :-)
Old 11-24-2019, 05:28 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020
I drive like I am driving my motorcycle so I have situational awareness of most of the cars around me.
Good advice. I am in the process of selling my last bike, but took it out for a short spin today (it’s 72º and sunny in San Diego). I always tell myself never to get on a bike unless my head is in the game, and I should give myself the same advice when getting into any car.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:00 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Took a demo C4S out on Saturday that had Lane Change Assist. Added it to the order (scheduled to lock this Friday).
Old 11-25-2019, 01:21 AM
G650
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by AutobahnMac911
I am a big advocate for properly setting your mirrors where you almost eliminate the blind spot in the first place. I know it is comforting to see the side of your car in your mirror, but if you widen them you can usually eliminate the blindspot completely. When set properly you can see cars transfer from your rear view to your side mirror and then into your peripheral vision. I'd rather see the car or motorcycle sitting near my rear bumper than be able to tell if my car is clean from the inside.
I’ve set my mirrors this way for as long as I can remember, and guess what? No blind spots! It baffles me why drivers would adjust their side view mirrors any other way.

Just recently I had a Cayenne loaner that had the LCA feature, and I adjusted the side view mirrors my usual way.
Driving around town and on the freeways, every time the LCA detected a car in my so called “blind spot”, and illuminated the orange lights, I could clearly see the culprit vehicle smack dab in the middle of my side view mirror.

This completely validated my decision to leave the LCA option off my 992 build.

Last edited by G650; 11-25-2019 at 02:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Lane Change Assist