Sponsored by:

Apple CarPlay - Thread & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 01:44 PM
USC9114S
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay - Thread & Questions

Still discovering some of the features and nuances between Apple CarPlay and Porsche PCM. Might be good to have a separate thread for all of the questions.

1). Homelink works within the PCM, however when I attempted to use Homelink from within CarPlay it does not work, even though you can select/add it’s widget to the screen within CarPlay? Any solution other than going back into the PCM and disconnecting from CarPlay?

2). After using the phone features or text message features of CarPlay it does not revert back to the music volume? I am having to manually select the music through the display or via voice command?

Is there an issue between Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity between the PCM and CarPlay that is causing some of these nuances?
Old 11-16-2019, 11:11 PM
carson2
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 86 Posts

I have totally given up on using CarPlay. Reason? When I get into my car in the garage, my phone is still connected to my home wifi, so the car won't connect. I'd have to drive some distance from my home, stop, and then reconnect my phone to the car's wifi to get it to show up as an option to connect. This is SERIOUSLY horrible user-interface and I have no idea who would find this useable (unless you don't have wifi at home that your phone connects to). Maybe I'm missing something big...
Old 11-17-2019, 05:36 AM
darkknight26
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 71 Posts

Many of the reviews commented on how fast the interface is...NOT!!! The lag when changing tracks on carplay is a second at least and I find the map in particular too slow, even after reducing the number of POI's displayed. If anyone has any tips to improve this it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:04 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts

Do you have a direct plug in wire option or port on the 992?
Old 11-17-2019, 03:48 PM
USC9114S
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Do you have a direct plug in wire option or port on the 992?

Yes, there are USB ports within the armrest, although I have not used them, yet as CarPlay can be connected/link wirelessly.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:43 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts

Maybe will work better direct wire....mine in my 991.2 works great
Old 11-17-2019, 06:45 PM
darkknight26
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Maybe will work better direct wire....mine in my 991.2 works great
Good point. Will give it a go.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:40 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by carson2
I have totally given up on using CarPlay. Reason? When I get into my car in the garage, my phone is still connected to my home wifi, so the car won't connect. I'd have to drive some distance from my home, stop, and then reconnect my phone to the car's wifi to get it to show up as an option to connect. This is SERIOUSLY horrible user-interface and I have no idea who would find this useable (unless you don't have wifi at home that your phone connects to). Maybe I'm missing something big...
I have a similar issue although everything is good by the time I am halfway out of the garage re Carplay - maybe 30 secs after starting car (my iPhone seems to switch to the stronger car based WiFi pretty quickly by itself).

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay - Thread & Questions