992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Bose vs Burmester Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019 | 03:18 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Bose for people who actually need to listen to their audio. I listen to podcasts and lectures and still will opt for the Bose, ditto if you have a cab. You run the risk of the base not being loud or clear enough then.

Also, don't forget it's not just music coming through the speakers. GPS navigation, phone calls, etc are all part of the job of the stereo system.

The Burmester is the best but it's a real hefty price. If you LOVE audio, or must have the best of the best in this car you should check it.

But for 1600 bucks the bose is the sweet-spot.
Old 11-02-2019 | 04:08 PM
DMDSpag
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sexfiend
Bose for people who actually need to listen to their audio. I listen to podcasts and lectures and still will opt for the Bose, ditto if you have a cab. You run the risk of the base not being loud or clear enough then.

Also, don't forget it's not just music coming through the speakers. GPS navigation, phone calls, etc are all part of the job of the stereo system.

The Burmester is the best but it's a real hefty price. If you LOVE audio, or must have the best of the best in this car you should check it.

But for 1600 bucks the bose is the sweet-spot.
Here' here' ! What kinda savage gotta have some woofa' bangin' all the time in the likes of a fine sport coupee' like the fashionable' 992. Now that's just funny talk, ya see. Bose, the gentlmans' choice. They got ya right there in the middle in the sweet spot, like a touch a' vermouth in my cocktail son. One hundred percent. Now I'ma hard workin man' , it's gonna take me some convincin' not to pull the trigger on the standard audio. Give a man an inch, he taketh a mile now'. I'm gonna be puttin' that 6k in my boy's college fund
The following 2 users liked this post by DMDSpag:
chance6 (02-16-2020), SantaFePorsche (05-28-2020)
Old 11-02-2019 | 04:25 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DMDSpag
Here' here' ! What kinda savage gotta have some woofa' bangin' all the time in the likes of a fine sport coupee' like the fashionable' 992. Now that's just funny talk, ya see. Bose, the gentlmans' choice. They got ya right there in the middle in the sweet spot, like a touch a' vermouth in my cocktail son. One hundred percent. Now I'ma hard workin man' , it's gonna take me some convincin' not to pull the trigger on the standard audio. Give a man an inch, he taketh a mile now'. I'm gonna be puttin' that 6k in my boy's college fund
You’ve changed your writing style :-)
Old 11-02-2019 | 04:27 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

LCB2 - thank you.
Old 11-02-2019 | 04:33 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

LCB2 - thank you.
Old 11-03-2019 | 10:24 AM
Senna01
Instructor

Originally Posted by NigelPlays
I think I picked the wrong system for the type of sound I wanted. I could of went with bose for more bass.

Great sound for a symphony but not for top 40
You don't actually get more bass. You get more distortion from the lower end which is mistaken for more bass.
The following 4 users liked this post by Senna01:
992Sam (11-06-2019), CaymanSinAR (11-04-2019), NigelPlays (11-03-2019), SantaFePorsche (05-28-2020)
Old 11-03-2019 | 11:08 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

many mistake a subwoofer for more bass...that’s actually not correct. We’re not trying to ADD more bass, the goal is to have a full extension of a note, more accurately, extension of the frequency. When an artist makes music and has intended the bass to be there, and the system cannot reproduce it accurately, then one cannot fully appreciate the track as the artist intended it.

Clean, controlled, and accurate reproduction of music is like heaven for the ears. To those that value this, it’s a must.
The following 2 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
NigelPlays (11-03-2019), Porsche911GTS'16 (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019 | 11:26 AM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

I'm picky about sound systems... been following all the threads like this. Ultimately will need to just get a dealer to let me listen to both to see if Bose will cut it would really like to deploy that $$$ in to other options but I've never ordered a car without checking the box for the best sound available.
Old 11-03-2019 | 11:36 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by slc4s
I'm picky about sound systems... been following all the threads like this. Ultimately will need to just get a dealer to let me listen to both to see if Bose will cut it would really like to deploy that $$$ in to other options but I've never ordered a car without checking the box for the best sound available.
same boat... I'm a bit of an audiophile... I compared on a 991 at the dealer and there was no comparison... the burmester was hands down better.
The following users liked this post:
TennisGuy (02-08-2020)
Old 11-03-2019 | 12:20 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 992Sam
same boat... I'm a bit of an audiophile... I compared on a 991 at the dealer and there was no comparison... the burmester was hands down better.
+1...IMHO, the value is the Bose for most. I believe that’s about $1600 and HUGE step up from base. It’s more than adequate for many and I would defiantly check that box if you listen to music

as it relates to the burmester, I would suggest looking into the Musicar system, assuming you have a capable installer. $5600 vs $8800 and the sound is FAR superior to burmester in every way. Just the tweeter alone is on a whole different level

On a $150k 992, the $3k difference is negligible

but this is a tough one, because unless you have the systems side-by-side, it’s hard to make a wise decision. You need your ears to be the judge, then the choice is clear...literally and figuratively 😊
Old 11-03-2019 | 12:54 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
+1...IMHO, the value is the Bose for most. I believe that’s about $1600 and HUGE step up from base. It’s more than adequate for many and I would defiantly check that box if you listen to music

as it relates to the burmester, I would suggest looking into the Musicar system, assuming you have a capable installer. $5600 vs $8800 and the sound is FAR superior to burmester in every way. Just the tweeter alone is on a whole different level

On a $150k 992, the $3k difference is negligible

but this is a tough one, because unless you have the systems side-by-side, it’s hard to make a wise decision. You need your ears to be the judge, then the choice is clear...literally and figuratively ��
I'm a buck seventy eight into this car.... I wasn't about to skimp on anything I wanted... this will be my decade car... and I want no regrets. as for going outside of the Porsche factory items, I don't want to take any risks with warranty issues.. or I would consider it.
Old 11-03-2019 | 03:28 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 992Sam
I'm a buck seventy eight into this car.... I wasn't about to skimp on anything I wanted... this will be my decade car... and I want no regrets. as for going outside of the Porsche factory items, I don't want to take any risks with warranty issues.. or I would consider it.
sam, where are you located? Feel free to PM me.

we recently had one of the gt3 touring that we did the stage 3+ in at the local Porsche dealer. They commented on how amazing the level of installation was as they had to open up some things to diagnose something.

so, if installed properly, and since no factory wires or harnesses are touched in any way, the footprint of the upgraded audio is no different than factory. For that reason, it does not void any warranty.

one of the hallmark of any enhancement we do, is keeping in line with factory warranty and making repairs easy for the techs.

The only deviation I’ve ever made is applying ppf over the headlights. That’s a whole other subject 😊
The following users liked this post:
NigelPlays (11-03-2019)
Old 11-06-2019 | 11:24 AM
DMDSpag
Intermediate

Originally Posted by markchristenson
You’ve changed your writing style :-)
Maybe I was drinkin' bourbon
Old 11-06-2019 | 11:59 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Maybe I was drinkin' bourbon
Better get the bottle out! We miss that swag!
Old 02-16-2020 | 10:36 AM
MFLnavidm
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
A while back, we had the opportunity to have a base, Bose, and burmester 991 in the shop.

base - if you listen to talk radio or want the sound of the engine to be your melody, this is adequate. IMHO, not an option if you enjoy music and want the audio system to enhance your driving pleasure. At all volumes, highs, mids, and lows are all mixed in together like a soup. The vocals are fighting with the strings which is battling the drums. All the instruments are fighting for your ear’s attention

bose - better than base. At lower volumes, under 30% of max, we now begin the head a bit more separation of instruments. Highs are more siting, lows can now be heard and felt, but mids are not balanced. This makes the music lack richness, purity, and depth. As you begin to increase volume, the system begins to fall apart. Around 50-60%, suddenly the lows begin to overpower the mids and highs. The speaker simply cannot handle the energy and begins distorting. Bass is no longer tight, rich, and in control. The highs become piercing loud and actually stress the ear drums. Vocals become muddy and can no longer breathe.

Burmester - a definite step up from Bose. There is a richness in the sound and through DSP, the music fills the cabin. You’re now submerses in your music. At 30%, the music sounds and feels balanced. There is slightly more distinction between instruments and you can truly hear it compared to the Bose. Your ears should be able to separate and hear the various instruments. Begin to turn volume up around 40-50%, the system stays composed compared to the Bose. Go beyond that volume, and the system begins to show signs of weakness. The instruments begin to all come together again but compared to the Bose, the sound stays somewhat composed. What changes is the clarity and purity of the music.

Musicar stage 1-3 - through a client from a previous project, we were introduced to Musicar. Early this year we began collaborating with them and learned about true audio system for the 911.

Stage 3 is the musicar flagship...around $8750. You’d want to configure your build with the base system now knowing this. The upgrade gets you a much better tweeter and mid from Dynaudio and a better driver, going from an 8” to a 9” quality Morel driver. There is now a much better dedicated 8-channel amplifier and DSP. Sound dampening is also done to the doors to prepare and support the door panel for the amount of energy exerted by the drivers.

what do you get with the upgrade...hard to tell in words, but hopefully you’ll get the idea.

this is by far one of the most accurate systems I’ve never heard. I’ve been in car audio as an enthusiast and have had many talented people install and design systems for my clients. What I enjoyed about the musicar system is how any genre of music I played, I enjoyed equally. I’m all over the place- jazz, classic rock, country, classical. Everything I played, I just wanted more, and here’s why.

when you close your eyes and listen to music, you should actually be able to see where everything is if the track is recorded well. Music isn’t 2D, as in, the musicians aren’t lined up in a straight line playing for you. You may have vocals center, drums 10’ behind the singer, keyboard 15’ to the right of singer, bass 7’ to left of singer, etc. An accurate system allows you to hear that individually. That one component was missing from ALL 3 systems from Porsche.

Another cool aspect of musicar system, at any volume, almost near 100%, the system didn’t fall apart. I simply got more of what was at 30%. So, I was listening to Journey on one occasion. Driving back from a suspension shop to my place, it was a warm and sunny Southern California day and I had driver window down. Only the young was playing and I cranked up the volume. I just wanted to hear more of Steve perry and the band....I was blown away. It was my own private concert with the wind blowing into the cabin and the beat of the drums passing through my body. Truly an experience.

so, I hope above helps, and if you’re in SoCal, I encourage you to stop in and experience this yourself before you upgrade to Bose or burmester. If you truly enjoy music and it’s of value, the choice will be clear. The nice thing about the musicar system is the footprint. NO modification to the car. This is a plug and play down to the connectors for the speakers.

Here’s one of the projects we did recently:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post15950341
MO -

what is your contact information? I wanted to take my 992 to you.

Quick Reply: 992 Bose vs Burmester Comparison