Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 05:03 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 706 Likes on 368 Posts
Thumbs up Porsche911GTS'16's GT3Touring - PPF/Audio/Radar-Laser

This was probably one of the coolest projects we've had the pleasure of completing. Not only was it a GT3 Touring, we do A LOT of them, but it was a color we've never seen before, Light Ivory. To make it even more fun, we had the pleasure of collaborating with Musicar Northwest and Exclusive Options.

As many of you familiar with GP know, we strive for perfection and offering unique enhancements that compliment the ownership experience. For years, I've been searching, patiently, for a solution of an audio upgrade because I'm personally an audiophile. Through another project/client, we were turned on to Musicar and the rest is history.

The details are what we're known for at GP. When it came to the audio upgrade, I was happy, but there was something missing...enter Exclusive Options. The tweeter grills had the Bermeister script on them, and we looked to EO to make a custom grill with the correct deviated stitching, and they came through beautifully.

Hopefully you'll enjoy browsing through the photos as we did doing the project.

Fueled up and delivered to GP

Paint correction measurements taken prior to polishing

Paint perfected and PPF installation

Bumper has ppf and adjacent fender does not. Quality of material, expertise of installation, make for a near undetectable appearance of ppf

Headlights polished, protected with ppf, and hand trimmed

Musicar Stage 3 Audio Upgrade

New grills, on right, identical to factory grills in stitching and leather

Various sound dampening materials used to achieve optimal performance from the new 9" driver in the door

Actual door panel gets sound dampening as well...for a total of three layers of dampening for entire door

Small touches...removing the Bose logo as it's no longer relevant

Everything boxed up, organized, and sent to client in case future removal and going back to stock is required

Musicar Radar/Laser protection

Organization is critical

Proper wiring run and meet at central location for easy removal by Porsche tech should bumper need to come off in future

Completed project

Even license plate is nano coated for protection

Special delivery home

The following 2 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
JHesketh (11-03-2019), masti99 (07-14-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 02:48 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Thanks for the beautiful work, Moe. For me, the Achilles heel of the GT3 is the stock sound system options. Initially, I was thinking that my GTS would have one thing over my GT3T - the Burmester sound system versus the Bose. But that all changed with the Musicar upgrade. It is far superior to the Burmester and it will only get better still with the addition of the subwoofer in the coming months. As for the laser jammer/radar, I am a minimalist and I do not like exposed cables or an exposed radar detector. To have both a laser jammer and radar detector fully integrated in the car is fantastic. I'm still breaking the car in and keeping her under 5,000 rpms but I can see how this baby can get to triple digits very quickly. Not that I will be driving 100 mph around LA, but for those times when I do went to let her rip in the canyons, along the coast and in the desert, it will be great to have the double protection of the radar detector and the laser jammer.

Thanks again also for picking up on the paint defects on the side view mirrors. For those of you reading this, Moe is actually going to replace the side view mirror housings with newly painted ones because he was not 100% satisfied with the re-paint. I would have never noticed the difference but Moe is such a perfectionist that he is buying new factory parts to have painted in light ivory to replace the housings that came from the factory with defects (and were painted, but not to the level of perfection that Moe wanted).
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche911GTS'16:
Agent_Orange (07-03-2019), MoeMistry (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 03:51 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Thanks for the beautiful work, Moe. For me, the Achilles heel of the GT3 is the stock sound system options. Initially, I was thinking that my GTS would have one thing over my GT3T - the Burmester sound system versus the Bose. But that all changed with the Musicar upgrade. It is far superior to the Burmester and it will only get better still with the addition of the subwoofer in the coming months. As for the laser jammer/radar, I am a minimalist and I do not like exposed cables or an exposed radar detector. To have both a laser jammer and radar detector fully integrated in the car is fantastic. I'm still breaking the car in and keeping her under 5,000 rpms but I can see how this baby can get to triple digits very quickly. Not that I will be driving 100 mph around LA, but for those times when I do went to let her rip in the canyons, along the coast and in the desert, it will be great to have the double protection of the radar detector and the laser jammer.

Thanks again also for picking up on the paint defects on the side view mirrors. For those of you reading this, Moe is actually going to replace the side view mirror housings with newly painted ones because he was not 100% satisfied with the re-paint. I would have never noticed the difference but Moe is such a perfectionist that he is buying new factory parts to have painted in light ivory to replace the housings that came from the factory with defects (and were painted, but not to the level of perfection that Moe wanted).
That's an amazing level of detail! Looking forward to seeing it and hearing that sound system.

For me, the stock Bose is fine, since the real music begins at 7,000 rpm
Old 07-02-2019, 04:00 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,708 Likes on 712 Posts

Amazing! Perfect all around. How much better would you say the audio is compared to the Bose?
Old 07-02-2019, 04:29 PM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You had me when I saw the acoustic sound deadening material !

Exceptional Touring, drive it well.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbravo23
Amazing! Perfect all around. How much better would you say the audio is compared to the Bose?
I'm gonna guess and say "Tons!"
The following users liked this post:
MoeMistry (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 05:14 PM
nolan12
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

beautiful work!
MoeMistry (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 05:36 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Jbravo23 - Thanks for your kind words. The Musicar is in a totally different league from the Bose. The Musicar has more clarity, more depth, more presence and you can crank the music to "11" and it still sounds amazing. I don't drive around with the music blasting from the speakers, but there is no loss of sound clarity when I turn the volume up to, say, 75% or greater. And my system (Musicar stage 3) does not even have a subwoofer. It would be fine without it but Moe and Musicar have created a subwoofer that fits into the back of the car. I have not heard the stereo with the subwoofer yet (Moe did it for another GT3T from Texas) but Moe says that it takes the stereo system to a who new level of awesomeness. Musicar is currently building my subwoofer for installation sometime this summer (hopefully).
Old 07-02-2019, 06:03 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

wow!
amazing attention to detail.
so nice to see quality work still does exist...kudos
Agent_Orange (07-03-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 09:29 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 149 Posts

the wait is long, but the quality is unmatched... you will love it!

The following 2 users liked this post by wru:
MoeMistry (07-02-2019), Porsche911GTS'16 (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 09:37 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Wru - looks killer and I can only imagine how awesome it sounds. Moe tells me that my subwoofer will be ready at the end of the month. Enjoy your beautiful car(s)!
Old 07-03-2019, 06:32 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Excellent question.

We work on so many new 911s, that in one occasion we were fortunate to have all three options from Porsche...base audio, Bose, and Burmeister.

Base - highs, mids, and lows are basically ALL thrown into a stage...no clear definition, dynamic range, or clarity. Everything coming out of the music is fighting for a place to be heard. Vocals are muffled, no real sound stage, and as the music is turns up in volume, things simply get worse

Bose - step above base. Here we have some definition, but only at low volume. System is TRYING to produce accurate sound, but unfortunately, it leaves much to be desired. Highs and mids are sort mixed and you hear the bass notes, but they sound bloated and artificial. Once you go past 40-50% volume, things go down hill from there

Burmeister - definitely an improvement over the Bose. The bass is a bit more constrained and plays nice with the mids and highs. At volumes below 50%, system sounds good. No clear sound stage, but vocals are clearer than Bose. Turn it up past 60%, system begins to fall apart and at around 80%, it simple sounds muddy and begins to distort

Musicar stage 3 - at the time of this installation, we had begun prototype and first development of a stage 3+, soon being released.

stage 3 is EXTREMELY accurate. The most accurate of any system of its kind that I’ve heard. There is clear stage and vocals are concise. It’s as though the artist is singing to you and you’re in the perfect spot to listen. There is a depth to all the instruments. If the guitar is 5’ to left of artist, you can visualize it with your ears. If drums are 10’ to the right behind lead vocal, you get the sense of depth in space. Truly a pleasure to listen to.

prolonged listening is actually more soothing to the ears compared to Bose and Burmeister...you can imagine after hours of listening during our installations, I personally didn’t get out of the cabin wishing for a secluded and quiet space to let my ears rest...I simply wanted to keep listening.

stage 3+ - coming soon. When I first heard stage 3, I was impressed, but I felt there was something missing; to be more accurate, the lower frequencies weren’t finishing their extension. For me, it was missing a dedicated subwoofer.

after some careful consideration, I managed to convince the guys at Musicar to explore the addition of a subwoofer that would make this system my ideal sound package. And as you can expect, Tom did not disappoint.

after hearing 3+, for the value proposition and the clean installation, it’s hands down the best system I’ve ever heard given the parameters we wanted to stay in

this project will be getting the 3+ upgrade later this month, and I’ll let Matt give his feedback to you guys as well

Hope that answers your questions.

Our goal is, to have clients opt for the base package, knowing we can provide a far superior sound system than currently being offered OEM.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 09-26-2019 at 03:38 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
Agent_Orange (07-03-2019), Jbravo23 (07-04-2019), Porsche911GTS'16 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 04:11 AM
Mr. Vanos
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice work. Love the attention to detail. Question re: PPF on the headlights. I was told by my PPF installer that he doesn’t recommend covering the Porsche LED headlights as they are prone to cracking due to added heat retention. I was not happy to hear this given how costly these lights are. We used Expel on the car but didn’t do the hedlights. Any thoughts or input on this?
Old 07-04-2019, 12:02 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mr. Vanos
Nice work. Love the attention to detail. Question re: PPF on the headlights. I was told by my PPF installer that he doesn’t recommend covering the Porsche LED headlights as they are prone to cracking due to added heat retention. I was not happy to hear this given how costly these lights are. We used Expel on the car but didn’t do the hedlights. Any thoughts or input on this?
Thank you sir and appreciate you checking it out

IMHO, protecting headlights is a must. Alternatively, you’ll either deal with chipped lights that will eventually need replacing.

Just make sure any installer applying the film is experienced and comfortable with doing so on these lights

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1030...-to-avoid.html
Old 07-04-2019, 12:30 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,552 Likes on 857 Posts

What happens if one of the panels are damaged and xpel needs replacing? This stealth install is great at first but its a lot of work if you need to replace the wrap.

Quick Reply: Porsche911GTS'16's GT3Touring - PPF/Audio/Radar-Laser