992 C4S Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 06:33 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 491 Posts
Default 992 C4S Test Drive

Hi All,

I've been following comments on the forum for several months now and my local dealer finally received some C4S Coupes for stock and I went out on a 45-minute test drive today. My last car was a 2017 C4 base with PSE. I got rid of that car shortly after I bought it, after being bothered by tire roar and the drone of the sport exhaust at 40 - 50 mph, or any other time the engine was running under load at 2,200 RPM. I just found the experience too noisy for me. I know - its a sports car but still ...

Maybe I've been away from my 991.2 for too long, but the 992 seems improved in all areas (that matter to me). I didn't notice the ride being much better than my 991.2 (they say it is), but I didn't have a complaint with my car. The test car did have PASM -10mm which I'm told can stiffen the ride a bit. In any event, the ride on even poorer roads qualifies it as a daily driver for me.

Road noise is definitely down. You first realize something is different when you drive at slow speeds through a parking lot and you don't heat the tap tap tap of the sand particles that get picked up by the tires and thrown against the wheel wells. Porsche must have added something. In addition, tire roar is reduced even with the 20/21" wheels. The noisiest of worn concrete roads does intrude into the cabin but at a much lower level.

The sport exhaust has an improved not. It is less "droney" even in that 2,200 RPM zone. It starts droning a bit at 1,500 RPM under load and through 2,300 but is less noticeable than the PSE in the 991.2. Still, I think I'd skip the option (I know I'll be the only one).

I really like the new interior. I don't mind the nub that everyone is complaining about. I love the "shelf" that runs along the base of the passenger-side dash. It is true that the outer gauges are obscured by the multifunction wheel (which by the way could be a bit thicker), but I find myself glancing at the tach and speedo most of the time anyway. The gauges were more visible in the 991.2, but I also mainly looked at the centre pod.

Overall, I think Porsche has taken a very good 911 and made it better (for me at least). I know the hardcore Porsche drivers will complain that the car has moved more towards a GT car and away from pure sports, but in my case, that is a good thing.

The following 6 users liked this post by kayjh:
992Sam (10-06-2019), mathus7 (10-05-2019), NigelPlays (10-04-2019), SamD (10-05-2019), Semitone (10-05-2019), user 82934 (10-05-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-05-2019, 01:00 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 419 Posts

Thanks for write up
Old 10-05-2019, 11:09 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you for the writeup. Going to buy it?
Old 10-05-2019, 12:07 PM
TMA
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I’d encourage you to try a 2S as well. I’ve owned both a 991.1 2S and a 911.2 4S and I consider the 2S much more responsive and less mechanical and heavy than the 4. I ordered a 992 2S after trying both. Enjoy!
Old 10-05-2019, 12:53 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by TMA
I’d encourage you to try a 2S as well. I’ve owned both a 991.1 2S and a 911.2 4S and I consider the 2S much more responsive and less mechanical and heavy than the 4. I ordered a 992 2S after trying both. Enjoy!
I think a 2S more than I want to spend. I had a C4 2017 (991.2) and found it had more than enough power/performance for my use. In addition, I plan to drive the car through the winter - at least on days where the roads are drier and there are no snow ruts, so a C4 is the better choice. The C4S I drove yesterday was $170,000 CAD and I can build a C4 for under $135,000CAD which is more in my price range.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:54 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by Philip Goughary
Thank you for the writeup. Going to buy it?
I think I'm going to buy one of the models, just deciding between a C2 and C4. Then the process of picking options without going crazy starts.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:38 AM
TMA
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I think a 2S more than I want to spend. I had a C4 2017 (991.2) and found it had more than enough power/performance for my use. In addition, I plan to drive the car through the winter - at least on days where the roads are drier and there are no snow ruts, so a C4 is the better choice. The C4S I drove yesterday was $170,000 CAD and I can build a C4 for under $135,000CAD which is more in my price range.
In that case I'd recommend trying a base C2 and comparing it to the C4. Its a few thousand dollars cheaper than the C4 and in my opinion a much nicer drive. Many reviewers are saying the C2 is an even purer drive than the C2S. Since you're saying you plan to drive it when it's dry, then I'm not sure you need the C4 from a handling perspective. Sorry just trying to help you with this since I felt a massive handling difference between the rear-wheel drive and the AWD where the rear-wheel drive is so much more fun to handle. Plus with the difference in price you can spec some more fun stuff
Old 10-06-2019, 10:56 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by TMA
In that case I'd recommend trying a base C2 and comparing it to the C4. Its a few thousand dollars cheaper than the C4 and in my opinion a much nicer drive. Many reviewers are saying the C2 is an even purer drive than the C2S. Since you're saying you plan to drive it when it's dry, then I'm not sure you need the C4 from a handling perspective. Sorry just trying to help you with this since I felt a massive handling difference between the rear-wheel drive and the AWD where the rear-wheel drive is so much more fun to handle. Plus with the difference in price you can spec some more fun stuff
Thanks for your suggestion. I know that in the Toronto market they sell more C2S than C4 base (at similar price) because there isn’t much snow there over the winter. In my market, there is quite a bit of snow all winter and the dealer sells more “4” models with customers choosing C4 vs C2 or C2S.

I drove a C2S (991.2) in Toronto in late 2016 as the 991.2 was being introduced and did find it was a bit livelier than the C4, but picked the C4 anyway. This time around it will be the same challenge - trying to test drive the variants in time to get an order delivered for spring, so I’m leaning towards staying with what I know. Currently I’m focused on exhaust noise (with sport exhaust) and road noise (tires) before making a purchase. Those two items made me get rid of the car a month into ownership last time.

Finally, I think the C4 gives me more flexibility in driving season. While the C2 may be more lively to drive, the C4 provides much more security in winter (and) rain conditions.

��

Quick Reply: 992 C4S Test Drive