Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CARB State Status

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 05:06 PM
AFis
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Respectfully, no need for your condescendence.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:13 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mathus7
The suspension of California's right to issue stricter emission standards is reported to be announced tomorrow. This would end CARB standards for all states that require this standard. It is not clear when this would be effective.

Add nytdirect@nytimes.com to your address book.

Breaking News Alert

September 17, 2019

NYTimes.com »

BREAKING NEWS
The Trump administration will end California’s authority to set its own stricter auto pollution rules, setting up a legal showdown.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:31 PM EST

And you think that CA will just roll over and let the suspension be un-opposed? I imagine a lawsuit has already been prepared; they just need the particulars of the suspension to add to the lawsuit. Break out the popcorn and brewskis.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:17 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AFis
Here is what I wrote to PCNA last week, and posted on the Rennlist 992 Waiting Room board. Sorry for the "rant," but reaching my limit with PCNA after now my fourth delivery date postponement with no real delivery information in sight.

- - - -

As with many of you, been waiting and waiting and waiting on any word about CARB status. According to my SA, with whom I have a 25+ year relationship, PCNA is not sharing any information. Accordingly I felt compelled to send the following email today to several of the PCNA execs through the online portal here: https://contact.porsche.com/usa/dial...ion/contactus/

Not meaning to start a deluge of complaint letters to PCNA, but find it utterly inexcusable that they would not seek to communicate with their clients (or dealers!) knowing full well our excitement and anticipation, along with (like me) a need to know when you'll have a car to "get around" in. In any event, here is what I wrote:

Kindly forward to:
Mr. Klaus Zellmer, CEO, PCNA
Mr. Joe Lawrence, COO, PCNA
Mr. Trevor Arthur, Area VP, West PCNA
Mr. Angus Fitton, VP Public Relations, PCNA
Mr. Simon Kuhnimhof, VP Customer Experience, PCNA

Through your DTLA dealership, I secured one of the first production slots (#2206946) for USA model 992C4S. This car has been produced, shipped, and now sitting at the Port of San Diego since August 13, awaiting CARB certification.

Despite numerous inquires to my sales advisor, it seems no one can give me (or him) an indication as to when my car will be delivered. Though I am sympathetic to the regulatory process involved with the State of California, I am at a loss at the complete lack of communication between Porsche, its dealers, and its customers as to where you are in the process? Not a single word in the full month since my car's arrival! I even sold my current auto based on your delivery schedule, one that has now been revised at least three or four times with no end in sight, or understanding as to what is happening!

I cannot help but interpret the lack of communication as a sign of incompetence or, at least, as a resolute lack of care by the management at PCNA. Is my business and long tenure with Porsche simply taken for granted or not valued?

So here I am at a crossroads as to what to do next. Despite the passion and loyalty I've shared with Porsche going back to my first 930 Turbo in 1986, and continuing through 33 years and seven 911's, I find myself now at a loss IF I should move on to another, better organized, more communicative and appreciative brand or continue to wait and wait and wait?

In any event, the courtesy of a reply - one which shares more concrete information on the delivery of the car I ordered - is requested.
Long story short, no one wants to get too far out in front of their skis. If you can't wait patiently, then you probably shouldn't get a first year production run car. You aren't making payments on a lease or loan or have paid the purchase price in advance have you?
The following users liked this post:
NigelPlays (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 05:28 PM
AFis
Intermediate

Wow! Really need you to tell me what I should or should not do? Basics of business is communication, and Porsche's lack of it (including it's dealers) is what's at issue here. Been driving 911's for 33 years now, and owned 7 of them, but if you think loyalty is rewarded with mediocrity in communication and that that somehow helps build a better brand or owner experience, then that is your choice.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:29 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
I was under the impression 992’s have had a delivery date of September in the US nearly all year, regardless of production dates. I do remember the dates briefly moving around, but I think it’s been September 95% of the year. EPA approval happened first, so Porsche released those cars.
When I placed my order in January the expected exit port date was 6/21 and at dealer by 7/12 per the Porsche Order Status date. The build and shipping were in place for that schedule with car arriving at port on 6/11. Car remainds at port with most recent delay setting date for 9/27.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:30 PM
NigelPlays
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by AFis
Respectfully, no need for your condescendence.
Your car is on time. Fall 2019 is a 3 month window. Why bother Porsche execs on one car that is not late. That is not paid for. That is not approved for sale in the summer?

I'm saving you from heart attack.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:39 PM
AFis
Intermediate

That is not what the experience has been by many on this forum who rely on more than a "3 month window." I've been quoted four delivery dates, and all have come and gone. Dealers have been kept in the dark as to the hold-up, which as we know now falls with CARB certification. Porsche not being forthcoming with information to its dealers and clients on latest delivery status only complicates the matter and aggravates the situation.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:14 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by NigelPlays
Your car is on time. Fall 2019 is a 3 month window. Why bother Porsche execs on one car that is not late. That is not paid for. That is not approved for sale in the summer?

I'm saving you from heart attack.
Where did you get the Fall 2019 date from? My particular car (the car I put down a $10k deposit for in Feb) had an Expected Delivery Date of July 12 from the Porsche Factory itself. Then Sep 4, then Sep 13, then Sep 16. None of the many bits of information I got from Porsche (not sent automatically of course) for my build ever said Fall 2019. Many others have had the same experience.

The issue is not that the car is late, the issue the the poor communication from the Porsche Factory and Porsche NA.
The following 2 users liked this post by pelucidor:
AFis (09-17-2019), mathus7 (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 07:03 PM
AFis
Intermediate

EXACTLY!!!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:35 PM
NigelPlays
Racer

Originally Posted by pelucidor
Where did you get the Fall 2019 date from? My particular car (the car I put down a $10k deposit for in Feb) had an Expected Delivery Date of July 12 from the Porsche Factory itself. Then Sep 4, then Sep 13, then Sep 16. None of the many bits of information I got from Porsche (not sent automatically of course) for my build ever said Fall 2019. Many others have had the same experience.

The issue is not that the car is late, the issue the the poor communication from the Porsche Factory and Porsche NA.

From my actual dealer. I ordered mine in Feb and they said it will arrive in 4 months. They then told me in July that the official launch was Sep 12 cause of the carb status. (3 months notice)

My car is here waiting for the battery recall. It arrived September 14. The battery will take approx 3 weeks and I have no problem picking it up Sep 26-Oct 01.

Everything was communicated accurately well in advance. I'm still happy, and i do hope everyone gets theirs before Oct 01 also.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:31 PM
Golfster
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Past CARB Updates

Here are the CARB site updates since April. CARB only posted 2 updates in June but 3 times the other months. If September follows the overall pattern, we should see 2 more updates this month.
AFis (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 11:18 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NigelPlays
From my actual dealer. I ordered mine in Feb and they said it will arrive in 4 months. They then told me in July that the official launch was Sep 12 cause of the carb status. (3 months notice)

My car is here waiting for the battery recall. It arrived September 14. The battery will take approx 3 weeks and I have no problem picking it up Sep 26-Oct 01.

Everything was communicated accurately well in advance. I'm still happy, and i do hope everyone gets theirs before Oct 01 also.
Your message suggests Feb+4months=June delivery (not Fall) then July delivery (not Fall) then 12 Sep delivery (not Fall) and dealership got the car on 14 Sep (not Fall) because luckily for you it seems you are in an EPA state (EPA was approved 7 Sep) and not a CARB state where there is still no sign of an CARB approval date or a delivery date from Porsche. When did your dealer mention Fall again? Note Fall actually starts 23 Sep 2019 not in June or July...
Old 09-17-2019, 11:26 PM
NigelPlays
Racer

Originally Posted by pelucidor
Your message suggests Feb+4months=June delivery (not Fall) then July delivery (not Fall) then 12 Sep delivery (not Fall) and dealership got the car on 14 Sep (not Fall) because luckily for you it seems you are in an EPA state (EPA was approved 7 Sep) and not a CARB state where there is still no sign of an CARB approval date or a delivery date from Porsche. When did your dealer mention Fall again? Note Fall actually starts 23 Sep 2019 not in June or July...
I’ll just leave it at that instead of continuing. I hope everyone enjoys their new car. Post pics
Old 09-17-2019, 11:55 PM
Nottoworry
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I really do sympathize with the people who ordered early and have had such an agonizing wait, particularly those in carb states who are having to wait extra long. But I think some of the anger hear toward Porsche is perhaps a little misdirected? I’m just playing devils advocate here, but Porsche is a German company who delivered the cars to our country on time for the most part. Our government is holding them at the port while they certify them and that is what has caused the delay, no? I get the complaints focusing on lack of communication, but what would that entail? A German company trying to give you predictions about what the currently gutted EPA, and the pissed off at VW carb board is going to do? It would make them look silly and probably not help them with the process. No VW company has any business pissing off the EPA or CARB right now, regardless of it being fair, or whether Porsche had anything to do the the whole emissions scandal. I would be sending angry letters to your congressman if anything. Sorry, don’t mean to further anger anyone as I would be equally angry if in your shoes.
NigelPlays (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 12:14 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

You make good points re it is out of Porsche's control when EPA/CARB deigns to give their approval (especially for a VW affiliated car after Dieselgate). My issue is that Porsche Germany probably knew a year ago roughly when they were going to do dealership training (July) and launch the car in the US market (Sep). There was no way they could let customers get their cars before the general launch in September when dealerships had the training and tools to service them etc - that is all pretty reasonable. Yet Porsche put the Expected Delivery Date as 12 July on our progress trackers for months, when that was never going to happen and they knew it. To me that is mis-communication and they could improve in this area - I would prefer it if Porsche had put the Expected Delivery Date as October from the start and then if some people got their cars in Aug/Sep those people would be pretty happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by pelucidor:
NigelPlays (09-18-2019), off/lang (09-18-2019)

Quick Reply: CARB State Status