Sponsored by:

Porsche Zentrum

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 03:54 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Porsche Zentrum

I went to the Porsche Zentrum event in Carmel today and checked out the 992 in person. The cars on display were midnight blue, guards red, agate grey, and white.

The car looks very good and the best view is the front with the hood creases. I’m still not a fan of the rear with the light strip with lettering, the brake light, or plastic lower exhaust portion. The spoiler actually looks better in person than in pictures and videos though.

The interior middle analog gauge is sleek and the surrounding screen area is nice. But you cannot see the outer two digital gauges because they are set too far apart and blocked by the steering wheel. The nubbin seemed OK, but maybe that is because I was expecting it to be very bad based on all the negative comments. The surrounding piano black area was showing smudges. The middle cup holder was missing with just a large hole.

I was able to start up the car, and it sounds great (no particulate filter in the US version). They didn’t let anyone test drive though

My conclusion on design: The 992 is a good looking car. Am I happy that I configured and bought a 991.2 this year (after seeing the pictures and videos of the 992)? YES. IMO, the 991.2 is a better overall design.

Enjoy the pictures! There was also a 991 Speedster, which I’ll post in 991 forum.

The following users liked this post:
G650 (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 04:49 AM
darkknight26
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks. The issue with the outer gauges is similar on a 991. I don't understand why its being made such a big deal on the latest model.��*♂️
The following 2 users liked this post by darkknight26:
G650 (08-18-2019), SamD (08-19-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 05:42 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

thanks. my incoming is midnight blue
TennisGuy (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 05:44 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tcirillo
thanks. my incoming is midnight blue
although in the pics, it sure looks like Gentian blue
Old 08-18-2019, 06:26 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight26
Thanks. The issue with the outer gauges is similar on a 991. I don't understand why its being made such a big deal on the latest model.��*♂️
I’m 6’3” and have to say I never ‘notice’ any line of sight interference in my 991. I get the info I need at a glance without any pause or thought. That’s not to say you have a different experience.

My experience in the 992 was that I really did notice line of sight interference in the 992, immediately. Having spent a couple of days in the car, for the most part it’s liveable with but I notice it particularly with respect to the fuel gauge and i can only see half of the binnacle navigation view which renders that view pretty useless.

As a result, I spec’d the non-GT steering wheel. I won’t know until September whether this is a meaningful difference

It seems to me that the broad horizontal layout works in the older cars because the steering wheels are larger, the rims thinner, and there’s less switchgear and airbag bulk.

I have to concede that those who dis the 992 have a genuine point about the digital binnacle. My sense is that function is not dictating form in this case.
The following 2 users liked this post by JHesketh:
Porsche911GTS'16 (08-18-2019), TennisGuy (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
I went to the Porsche Zentrum event in Carmel today and checked out the 992 in person. The cars on display were midnight blue, guards red, agate grey, and white.

The car looks very good and the best view is the front with the hood creases. I’m still not a fan of the rear with the light strip with lettering, the brake light, or plastic lower exhaust portion. The spoiler actually looks better in person than in pictures and videos though.

The interior middle analog gauge is sleek and the surrounding screen area is nice. But you cannot see the outer two digital gauges because they are set too far apart and blocked by the steering wheel. The nubbin seemed OK, but maybe that is because I was expecting it to be very bad based on all the negative comments. The surrounding piano black area was showing smudges. The middle cup holder was missing with just a large hole.

I was able to start up the car, and it sounds great (no particulate filter in the US version). They didn’t let anyone test drive though

My conclusion on design: The 992 is a good looking car. Am I happy that I configured and bought a 991.2 this year (after seeing the pictures and videos of the 992)? YES. IMO, the 991.2 is a better overall design.

Enjoy the pictures! There was also a 991 Speedster, which I’ll post in 991 forum.

i honestly don't know what is more disappointing... the mock gauge dials, fake plastic exhaust cover, or silly looking nubbin. and although not shown, i agree with you the rear view of the 992 just doesn't work, for the reasons you listed. i also much prefer the LEDs of the 991. i do like midnight blue, though, very classy color. thank you for the photos and your impressions. needless to say, you made the right choice with the 991.2.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bobby 911:
Porsche911GTS'16 (08-18-2019), TennisGuy (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 09:22 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by darkknight26
I have a 991.2. I can see all 5. And I compared them back to back. On a six figure car, there should be a higher expectation. It’s still a very good looking car though.

Last edited by TennisGuy; 08-18-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:36 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
I was able to start up the car, and it sounds great (no particulate filter in the US version).
Good to hear that removing the particulate filter improved the sound. Hopefully the North American 982 GT4/Spyder with the 4L NA 9a2evo motors will also sound much better better here too. I’ve heard a couple good sounding test mules on the ring with amber side marker/indicators, so I am hopeful that’s the sound without the filters.
TennisGuy (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 12:11 PM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by wizee
Good to hear that removing the particulate filter improved the sound. Hopefully the North American 982 GT4/Spyder with the 4L NA 9a2evo motors will also sound much better better here too. I’ve heard a couple good sounding test mules on the ring with amber side marker/indicators, so I am hopeful that’s the sound without the filters.
They’ll likely sound great without the particulate filters and being NA. It would have been nice to see one at Zentrum.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:18 PM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by tcirillo
although in the pics, it sure looks like Gentian blue
Actually, it may have been gentian. I didn’t check the specs. The color looks great! So does midnight blue.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:57 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 419 Posts

Thanks for sharing!
TennisGuy (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 07:30 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by JHesketh
I’m 6’3” and have to say I never ‘notice’ any line of sight interference in my 991. I get the info I need at a glance without any pause or thought. That’s not to say you have a different experience.

My experience in the 992 was that I really did notice line of sight interference in the 992, immediately. Having spent a couple of days in the car, for the most part it’s liveable with but I notice it particularly with respect to the fuel gauge and i can only see half of the binnacle navigation view which renders that view pretty useless.

As a result, I spec’d the non-GT steering wheel. I won’t know until September whether this is a meaningful difference

It seems to me that the broad horizontal layout works in the older cars because the steering wheels are larger, the rims thinner, and there’s less switchgear and airbag bulk.

I have to concede that those who dis the 992 have a genuine point about the digital binnacle. My sense is that function is not dictating form in this case.
On the 991 (and the 997 before it) the dials overlapped. Only the tach was a full circle. I'm betting that if you ran a tap measure across the instruments the ones in a 991 are narrower overall than a 992. But it's an electronic dash so there should be no reason Porsche couldn't code up the same thing in the 992. Come to think of it, like the new Panamera.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:08 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

[From a previous post] Here is the digital dash from the Panamera. If Porsche made this view a user selectable option (or even default) then I think people would not complain as much. Note I think the Panamera has a bigger steering wheel so the dials might need to be a bit smaller or overlap more...
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-19-2019, 11:03 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Except for front end the car lacks any cohesiveness. The interior is awesome...for a Taycan. That rear is horrid. Kinda wha tI'd expect for if the 928 were to be resurrected.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Except for front end the car lacks any cohesiveness. The interior is awesome...for a Taycan. That rear is horrid. Kinda wha tI'd expect for if the 928 were to be resurrected.
The Taycan interior is damned nice. That's where the A team was assigned.

Quick Reply: Porsche Zentrum