2020 Porsche 911 Carrera allocated

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts
Default 2020 992 911 Carrera allocated

Hello 992

This past weekend I allocated a pre-order for the 911 Carrera base in white with about $37k in options. Full leather, alcantara headliner, SD front and side skirts, 20/21" Carrera wheels, PCCB’s, 14 way w/ memory, power fold mirrors, sport exhaust, sport chrono, lane change assist, comfort access & a few other smaller items that give it a nice touch.. i.e. Porsche crest on headrests & aluminum trim. Beautiful car!

I ordered it on Sunday and currently hold the only allocation at the dealer.

*UPDATE: Re-ordered through another dealer and due to arrive late January.

Going to build the portfolio with this thread

Last edited by jkautz; 11-14-2019 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 08-13-2019, 07:42 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

It really depends on whether you want to race quarter miles or fly through twisty roads.

A 911 to a muscle car is as a gymnast to a linebacker. Both are athletes but these two cars are not really comparable anywhere other than on paper.

PS you probably know this but the 0.2s faster Sport Chrono 0 to 62 mph is down to launch control maximising traction not a power improvement.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:43 PM
PorscheMeister42
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
Hello 992

This past weekend I allocated a pre-order for the 911 Carrera base in jet black metallic with about $15k in options. 20/21" Carrera wheels,14 way w/ memory, power fold mirrors, sport exhaust, chrono package, lane change assist, easy entry & a few other smaller items that give it a nice touch.. i.e. Porsche crest on headrests. Beautiful car!

I ordered it on Sunday and currently hold the only allocation at the dealer. (They have 5 open slots between now and the end of the year). I didn't have my check book on me, so I ordered it and will be sending them a check in the mail for 10%. ($11k). I made this decision after test driving a 2019 Corvette, and had currently held an allocation with a deposit at a local Chevy dealer for the new 2020 mid-engine. I decided against going through with the Corvette mostly after feeling how refined and powerful the 911 was during my test drive. It was a great experience, and it was a first class experience. Here is where I would like to get the communities feedback... because I have not mailed the check as of yet..

The more I think about it, the more I can't get past the fact the mid-engine Corvette will put out huge numbers. Naturally aspirated V8 that puts out 495hp and can go from 0-60 in 2.9 seconds with the Z51 package. And this would probably come at a price between $75-$85k. And that price tag would still allow the 3LT package that has leather everything (dash, doors, seats) and alcantara headliner.. The Porsche 911 I have allocated only goes 0-60 in 4.0 seconds (3.8 apparently with the chrono package. Not 100% about that) And it comes with base interior quality. Mostly vinyl looking dash components and faux leather. I still don't know what it's made of. However, I can't deny the interior quality still looks amazing.

I need help with my decision. The deposit for the Corvette is refundable, and I can get that back still. And I have time since pricing isn't being released until Thursday.. However, the checkbook for $11k locks me in for the 911. I just can't get my head around the price for less performance, less quality materials in the cabin, and it costing me about 30% more than a loaded Corvette.

That is really my only issue making the decision, I fell in love with the car after driving the 911. From the driving experience, to the entire buying process at the Porsche dealer was first class compared to Chevy (which is probably something known without being said) And no one will know how the new mid-engine Corvette will drive until it's released, so it's really just a guess on that one. I originally was comparing the Corvette to a 718 Cayman, but that isn't even comparing apples to apples in terms of power. The 911 is somewhat closer.

I was hoping to get some input from the community. Because I will need to make a final decision by Thursday. I could love the Corvette when it's released.. but I am hopeful someone can sell me on the 911.
Having driven the 992 911, I can tell you the 991 does the 992 no justice. The new chassis and engines of this car make it feel night/day different than the current 911 platform, in the best ways possible. Many magazines have gotten lower than 4.0 seconds on the current 991.2 911, so I wouldn't bank on the 4.0/3,8 seconds holding any weight....probably more like 3.5 seconds to 60 if I had to guess. Interior quality if outstanding...all of us at training were very impressed with the fit/finish/features and how it all came together.

Your driveway is your driveway, don't let us make your decision for you. But if your concern is the 911 isn't going to punch at or above it's weight, I can put your mind at ease that it will certainly do so. Don't let the specs sell you the car, let the car sell you the car. There will always be something faster to be had, something quicker in the corners, etc. Which will make you happy to walk out to the garage for each time you do. Which will you be proud to own/live with.
The following 2 users liked this post by PorscheMeister42:
blk on blk (08-14-2019), jkautz (09-27-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 08:13 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JHesketh
It really depends on whether you want to race quarter miles or fly through twisty roads.

A 911 to a muscle car is as a gymnast to a linebacker. Both are athletes but these two cars are not really comparable anywhere other than on paper.

PS you probably know this but the 0.2s faster Sport Chrono 0 to 62 mph is down to launch control maximising traction not a power improvement.
Thats a great analogy. And I know what you mean after driving both.

Thanks for clarifying the chrono specs. I was curious as to how it was proving a 0.2 boost in the 60
The following users liked this post:
JHesketh (08-14-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 08:20 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorscheMeister42
Having driven the 992 911, I can tell you the 991 does the 992 no justice. The new chassis and engines of this car make it feel night/day different than the current 911 platform, in the best ways possible. Many magazines have gotten lower than 4.0 seconds on the current 991.2 911, so I wouldn't bank on the 4.0/3,8 seconds holding any weight....probably more like 3.5 seconds to 60 if I had to guess. Interior quality if outstanding...all of us at training were very impressed with the fit/finish/features and how it all came together.

Your driveway is your driveway, don't let us make your decision for you. But if your concern is the 911 isn't going to punch at or above it's weight, I can put your mind at ease that it will certainly do so. Don't let the specs sell you the car, let the car sell you the car. There will always be something faster to be had, something quicker in the corners, etc. Which will make you happy to walk out to the garage for each time you do. Which will you be proud to own/live with.
Theres no doubt the new 992 fits my everyday driving passion. The cornering capabilities alone far and away exceed that of the Corvette. But with that being said, I have no way of knowing the 2020 Corvette having even better handling or not.

I think summing it up to letting the car sell itself is a great way to make the decision. And if I did so, I would have mailed the check the day after my Porsche visit.

Its not all about performance with my decision. Just an underlayment of what I wish the Porsche 911 would provide with the price tag. The deeper issue I have is the base interior vs a 3LT corvette with leather everything and alcantara headliner. The standard interior in the Porsche looks good at first sight. Especially the seats.. but then you feel the dash and compare the seats, and then you find yourself wondering why they wouldn’t make that a standard option. Why wouldn’t a $100k car have standard leather? The leather interior package is $4,700! The alcantara headliner is another $1,700.

I guess I’m more disappointed in what the 911 didn’t come with standard, than with what options you could add. Because everyone will know this on the forum here. There seems to be a million upgrade options to spend $$ on
Old 08-13-2019, 11:41 PM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

FWIW I ordered a 992 back in January with a refundable $2500 deposit, with an early allocation.

And I couldn’t have said it better than PorscheMeister42 did!

Originally Posted by PorscheMeister42
Old 08-13-2019, 11:54 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

I’m sorry, but the materials are not lesser in the 911 build. Even though you can get all leather options in the corvette, the kind of leather most American cars use is so cheap looking and feeling. The basic faux and vinyl in the 911 looks and feels better. The build quality is a huge difference too. The 911 is and will always be more refined and feel better. The new vette may get under 3 seconds to 60, but who knows what the real world tests will be. Also, stay tuned for the big guys to test these and post real numbers. My Hellcat is faster than my 911, by miles, but that doesn’t make it better, or more fun. It is fun, but it’s what you like. If you ask me which one, 911 alll day and every day for what they are. I don’t need the fastest car. There’s a price difference for a reason.
jkautz (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:02 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

I really don't think a person should buy a 911 (of any generation) just based on raw numbers and stats. Lots of cars that cost less (both vis-a-vis the 991 and 992 generations), will outperform the 911 on paper. And sometimes even on the pavement.

But what is not so easily quantified is the emotional experience one gets from driving a car. Be it a 911, a Corvette, or whatever.

Does driving the 911 make you giddy, like a 4 year old in a candy store giddy? If it does, then buy it and don't look back. 0-60 times never made a person like his car more or less (unless you spend your Friday nights at the local drag strip). If it doesn't, then buy something else, like a C8.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:02 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sebvelez
FWIW I ordered a 992 back in January with a refundable $2500 deposit, with an early allocation.

And I couldn’t have said it better than PorscheMeister42 did!
My dealer rep at Porsche mentioned a lot of Carrera S preorders getting a refundable deposit when they were kicking that model off in the USA. I’m not 100% sure that is something they can do now that the Carrera base just became available this past week to build. But I’d kill for that offer! Much more peace of mind.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:05 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hello 992

This past weekend I allocated a pre-order for the 911 Carrera base in jet black metallic with about $15k in options. 20/21" Carrera wheels,14 way w/ memory, power fold mirrors, sport exhaust, chrono package, lane change assist, easy entry & a few other smaller items that give it a nice touch.. i.e. Porsche crest on headrests. Beautiful car!

I ordered it on Sunday and currently hold the only allocation at the dealer. (They have 5 open slots between now and the end of the year). I didn't have my check book on me, so I ordered it and will be sending them a check in the mail for 10%. ($11k). I made this decision after test driving a 2019 718 Carrera & a 2019 Corvette Z06, and currently hold an allocation with a deposit at a local Chevy dealer for the new 2020 mid-engine Corvette. I am starting to decide against going through with the Corvette mostly after feeling how refined and powerful the 911 was during my test drive. It was an amazing feeling driving it, and it was a first class experience. Here is where I would like to get the communities feedback... because I have not mailed the check as of yet..

The more I think about it, the more I can't get past the fact the mid-engine Corvette will put out huge numbers. Naturally aspirated V8 that puts out 495hp and can go from 0-60 in 2.9 seconds with the Z51 package. And this would probably come at a price between $80-$85k. And that price tag would still allow the 3LT package that has leather everything (dash, doors, seats) and alcantara headliner.. The Porsche 911 I have allocated only goes 0-60 in 4.0 seconds (3.8 with the chrono package?) And it comes with base interior. Mostly vinyl looking dash components and faux leather. I still don't know what it's made of. However, I can't deny the interior quality still looks amazing.

I need help with my decision. The deposit for the Corvette is refundable, and I can get that back still. And I have time since pricing isn't being released until Thursday.. However, the checkbook for $11k locks me in for the 911. I just can't get my head around the price for less performance AND lesser quality materials in the cabin. Not to mention it costing me about 30% more than a loaded Corvette.

I fell in love with the 911 after driving it. From the driving performance, to the entire buying process at the Porsche. It was a first class experience compared to Chevy (which goes without saying)

No one will know how the new mid-engine Corvette will drive until it's released!! So it's really just a guess. I originally was comparing the Corvette to a 718 Cayman, but that isn't even comparing apples to apples in terms of power. The 911 is somewhat closer IMO.

I was hoping to get some input from the community. Because I will need to make a final decision by Thursday.

I could love the Corvette when it's released.. Though I am hopeful someone can sell me on the 911.
All deposits in CA are refundable.
slwong23 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:05 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NJ991
I’m sorry, but the materials are not lesser in the 911 build. Even though you can get all leather options in the corvette, the kind of leather most American cars use is so cheap looking and feeling. The basic faux and vinyl in the 911 looks and feels better. The build quality is a huge difference too. The 911 is and will always be more refined and feel better. The new vette may get under 3 seconds to 60, but who knows what the real world tests will be. Also, stay tuned for the big guys to test these and post real numbers. My Hellcat is faster than my 911, by miles, but that doesn’t make it better, or more fun. It is fun, but it’s what you like. If you ask me which one, 911 alll day and every day for what they are. I don’t need the fastest car. There’s a price difference for a reason.
Have you seen the Napa leather in the 3LT yet? Its pretty amazing from what I’ve experienced.

But in terms of quality I have no doubts Porsche is on another level.

Its not too late for me to add full leather interior. It’s $4,500. But at this point. $113k vs. $118k wouldn’t make much difference when you’re talking this much money.

Thoughts on adding leather interior? Must have?
Old 08-14-2019, 12:06 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Is that a documented fact?
Old 08-14-2019, 12:09 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

I really don't think a person should buy a 911 (of any generation) just based on raw numbers and stats. Lots of cars that cost less (both vis-a-vis the 991 and 992 generations), will outperform the 911 on paper. And sometimes even on the pavement.

But what is not so easily quantified is the emotional experience one gets from driving a car. Be it a 911, a Corvette, or whatever.

Does driving the 911 make you giddy, like a 4 year old in a candy store giddy? If it does, then buy it and don't look back. 0-60 times never made a person like his car more or less (unless you spend your Friday nights at the local drag strip). If it doesn't, then buy something else, like a C8.
Cannot deny the feeling driving the 911. That’s the ultimate reason I didn’t go for the 718... and second guessing the Corvette allocation. Honestly, if I had another $20k saved. I wouldn’t even flinch with the order on my 992 911
Old 08-14-2019, 12:09 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Is that a documented fact?
Yes

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/vehicle...ect-11736.html
TheStanman (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:19 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

If that is California law? Then why do they have this form?

Quick Reply: 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera allocated