Sponsored by:

2020 Porsche 911 Carrera allocated

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 08:09 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by JHesketh
It seems to me that a many people on this forum think about options in an unhelpful way - they feel Porsche is ‘nickel and diming’ them but this isn’t correct.

Think about it, a great many people on here get very exercised about the 911 becoming an overweight, nanny full of technological frippery. Others seem to specify everything and love that the car is a daily driver with soft seats and Burmester sound.

The base car is a high priced vehicle because, in Porsche’s eyes (and mine too), this vehicle is a comprehensively developed masterpiece that earns its base price on performance and quality alone. In short, the car costs more because it’s worth more - it’s a thoroughbred.

The options aren’t there because Porsche is too tight to include them in the standard build and is trying to sweat your wallet. They are there so buyers can make the car they want, whether that is a stripped out raw no options experience, a more luxury GT, or the fully bespoke Porsche personalisation experience. And with the Carrera T they can appeal to purists, with the GT cars to track fiends, and with the speedster to the collectors.

This car is unlike nearly every other car on the market. It is a Savile Row bespoke suit (almost no two are alike) not a Brooke’s Brothers off the rack suit.

That’s why the options are available but not included as standard. And that’s why a 911 costs more than a regular car. Putting Nappa leather on an IKEA sofa doesn’t make it an heirloom.
This sounds spot on to me. I do think about it more and more. Chevy puts all of their tech upgrades into packages. Porsche is á la carte. And it makes sense to keep weight down. Especially if purists enjoy it; or you track it

For my tastes. I want to step into a Porsche and feel luxury along with the sports car power. It’s just too bad their upgrades are massively expensive. I shouldnt be surprised with a foreign vehicle manufacturer
The following users liked this post:
JHesketh (08-15-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 08:21 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

After long consideration and discussions with my wife. I decided to cancel my allocation with the Chevy dealer. Refund is in process now and I’m picking up the check tomorrow..

I also decided not to proceed with purchasing the 911 at this time. I spoke with my dealer rep, who was awesome btw; and let him know my new plans.

As much as I was excited to have allocated the first of the 911 Carrera base at the dealership, it had a scheduled delivery of 12/20 too! Which would have been an amazing Xmas present! lol.... however, I want to get full leather interior with an alcantara headliner.

it was what I wanted in my corvette build, and I just don’t see why I would rush to build a car and then not be able to add those options to fit my budget. If I wait until January. I can save another $12-$15k to put down on it. And by the time I took delivery, maybe an additional $10k on top of that. And that would be on top of my original plan to put $40k down.

so by putting $50-$60k down. I can fit in the bells and whistles that I truly want. And between the full leather interior and alcantara headliner, that’s an additional $7-8k

In summary. We have decided to go with the 911 in the end. Though it’s not as soon as I wanted it, it will still be the same car if I wait a few more months. Without giving up options.
JHesketh (08-15-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 08:21 PM
FType-R
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

General question, and I apologize for the semi-hijack:

Do all Porsche 911's delivered in the United States come through San Diego?
Old 08-14-2019, 08:29 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by FType-R
General question, and I apologize for the semi-hijack:

Do all Porsche 911's delivered in the United States come through San Diego?
There are many ports of entry for Porsche. They all depart from Emden in Germany and then East Coast vehicles like mine go to Davisville in Rhode Island, others to Houston TX etc.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:31 PM
FType-R
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pelucidor
There are many ports of entry for Porsche. They all depart from Emden in Germany and then East Coast vehicles like mine go to Davisville in Rhode Island, others to Houston TX etc.

Thank you for the response.

If someone in Louisiana ordered a car, but wanted to pick up the car in California, could the ordering Louisiana dealer specify that?
Old 08-14-2019, 08:33 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jkautz
After long consideration and discussions with my wife. I decided to cancel my allocation with the Chevy dealer. Refund is in process now and I’m picking up the check tomorrow..

I also decided not to proceed with purchasing the 911 at this time. I spoke with my dealer rep, who was awesome btw; and let him know my new plans.

As much as I was excited to have allocated the first of the 911 Carrera base at the dealership, it had a scheduled delivery of 12/20 too! Which would have been an amazing Xmas present! lol.... however, I want to get full leather interior with an alcantara headliner.

it was what I wanted in my corvette build, and I just don’t see why I would rush to build a car and then not be able to add those options to fit my budget. If I wait until January. I can save another $12-$15k to put down on it. And by the time I took delivery, maybe an additional $10k on top of that. And that would be on top of my original plan to put $40k down.

so by putting $50-$60k down. I can fit in the bells and whistles that I truly want. And between the full leather interior and alcantara headliner, that’s an additional $7-8k

In summary. We have decided to go with the 911 in the end. Though it’s not as soon as I wanted it, it will still be the same car if I wait a few more months. Without giving up options.
That is smart and mature decision making (which I probably couldn't do). Congrats on eventually getting exactly what you wanted!
Old 08-14-2019, 08:37 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FType-R
Thank you for the response.

If someone in Louisiana ordered a car, but wanted to pick up the car in California, could the ordering Louisiana dealer specify that?
Why not do pickup at the Porsche Experience Center in LA (aka PECLA):
https://www.porschedriving.com/los-angeles

When you order car at your dealership you can request this (extra $500 or so) and get a fantastic driving experience and 'unveiling' of your car plus many other benefits...
Old 08-14-2019, 08:40 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

That is smart and mature decision making (which I probably couldn't do). Congrats on eventually getting exactly what you wanted!
If I were 5 years younger. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it ASAP! lol my wife was proud of me. Cause she wanted it as bad as I do. And as all us married guys know.. when you get the green light from the wife! You make it happen! Before she changes her mind lol.

Bless her though. She always supports my dreams. I can’t wait for the day I can go back and buy it!

January 1st! I’m gonna make it happen.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:49 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Why not do pickup at the Porsche Experience Center in LA (aka PECLA):
https://www.porschedriving.com/los-angeles

When you order car at your dealership you can request this (extra $500 or so) and get a fantastic driving experience and 'unveiling' of your car plus many other benefits...
I may even do this!
Old 08-14-2019, 10:45 PM
pmiddy
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I really don't think a person should buy a 911 (of any generation) just based on raw numbers and stats. Lots of cars that cost less (both vis-a-vis the 991 and 992 generations), will outperform the 911 on paper. And sometimes even on the pavement.

But what is not so easily quantified is the emotional experience one gets from driving a car. Be it a 911, a Corvette, or whatever.

Does driving the 911 make you giddy, like a 4 year old in a candy store giddy? If it does, then buy it and don't look back. 0-60 times never made a person like his car more or less (unless you spend your Friday nights at the local drag strip). If it doesn't, then buy something else, like a C8.

True. A Tesla is faster but aint nobody claiming its a visceral experience to drive one!
JHesketh (08-15-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 10:58 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
That is true. And I’ve been waiting to buy one for a long time and now is the perfect time for me. Especially with the new design! I love it! Timeless is the best word to describe it.

I have a company truck that I drive every day. Including weekends. Trips in the truck are kind of monotonous to say the least.

The 911 is the vehicle I plan to keep for the long haul. Something I can pass down to my son when my time is up.

I’m 30. So I don’t have a lot of time left.. lol
Thats it, do it! I can easily keep my 911 for the long haul, any Corvette would be out the window after a year or two. That’s just me. My boys love the Porsche more than my Hellcat, which they used to love . They like putting their things in the trunk when we go somewhere. They think it’s the funniest thing. Plus, you don’t want to be the person paying the ADM on the vette, when next year they will be 10% + off.
JHesketh (08-15-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 11:24 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NJ991
Thats it, do it! I can easily keep my 911 for the long haul, any Corvette would be out the window after a year or two. That’s just me. My boys love the Porsche more than my Hellcat, which they used to love . They like putting their things in the trunk when we go somewhere. They think it’s the funniest thing. Plus, you don’t want to be the person paying the ADM on the vette, when next year they will be 10% + off.
I had not mentioned. My family has a Winery in the area (lots of vineyard trucks). We get all of them through the Chevy I allocated the Corvette with. He already clarified with me that he was not going to mark it up like other dealers.

Some will have mark ups upwards of $10-$15k.

At least by the new year both cars will be available to test drive again. So that will be fun
Old 08-15-2019, 10:32 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not use that 10k and bump up to the S version? more options and more HP. Seems a better use of 10K than an alcantara headliner.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:46 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blk on blk
Why not use that 10k and bump up to the S version? more options and more HP. Seems a better use of 10K than an alcantara headliner.
With the extra savings, that is also in the cards for sure. I was actually just talking to my wife about that being an option last night.. So it’s going to pay to wait a few months.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:34 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

UPDATE : I've been in contact with a few different dealers. They are willing to take custom orders with a $2,500 deposit!!! AND.. some are giving me discount offers between 3-5% which is offsetting the options I wanted with full leather interior & alcantara headliner. I will know more tomorrow! But with my new build around $122k, and a $6,500 savings and only $2,500 deposit, I may be able to lock in an allocation sooner than my plan to wait until January. Stay tuned!

Quick Reply: 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera allocated