Sponsored by:

992 crayon - black wheels or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 08:28 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Never understood why people seek/need other peoples opinions on what wheels to buy, what colour to buy, etc, etc. Sadly, its what drives a lot of this forum these days.
I understand that. I like what I like and regardless of others, I am going to get what I want. I do enjoy discussing a passion or excitement with likeminded people at times. So I choose to think OP found a place where he could share in his excitement and others would get it.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:51 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

Agree with all those above who say this is a personal choice. It's your car, get what you want.

Having said that, and in the FWIW category: I think that wheels in black do absolutely nothing positive for the overall impact and styling of the car. In fact quite the opposite; they only offer a pair of circular, jarring dark voids, absent any opportunity for a relieving glint off the light silver juxtaposed on the tires that you get from traditional wheel designs and colors. If that car were to come onto the used car market in a few years, and speaking only for me, myself, I would never buy it, if it had the black wheels. I would be fine with it in silver. In fact I specifically excluded any car with black wheels from my search for a used 991.2.

But like I said, if you like it, is all that really matters.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (01-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2019, 09:03 PM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 654 Likes on 302 Posts

I ordered the optional 5 spoke wheels on my 19 carrera T and they are really easy to clean. I put ceramic coating on the insides and when washing its a simple 2 min job. It also displays the breaks really well. Not sure if that helps but my pick is 5 spoke with Satin black finish for the background color.
enjoy
matt
Old 07-30-2019, 12:00 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms95207x
Please expand on how black wheels look cheap.

Black wheels, IMHO, make the car look aggressive
Yes and more “Motorsport”. Some of the comments here would make you think this is a Lexus forum lol
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsch:
Guaji (07-30-2019), Ukkid74 (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 07:23 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Black wheels would complement crayon / chaulk perfectly.
The following 2 users liked this post by shake1:
dhirm5 (01-30-2020), dj997 (01-29-2020)
Old 07-31-2019, 10:21 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

They both look good, but the black is more aggressive and the silver is more luxury looking. I always go for the contrasting wheels, so black. Even the satin platinum looks good
Old 08-01-2019, 08:46 AM
Michael Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Both!!

I think the aluminum with black accent paint is the best of both worlds. It gives you some contrast and doesnt make the car look dark.

Good luck!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Smith:
carson2 (01-29-2020), catdog2 (01-29-2020)
Old 08-01-2019, 02:13 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanic
Well, since you asked. First, to be sure we are thinking the same thoughts, I'm not talking about any wheels other than those that are totally black. A silver rim makes all the difference, harking back to the original Fuchs alloys. But, going back still further, black wheels first showed up on Porsche 907s in the late '60s. When asked about them, the explanation for their appearance was simply that silver alloy wheels look terrible when covered with disc-brake dust, and Porsche didn't want their race-winning cars to appear in post-race photographs with filthy wheels. All black was thought to be better. That "look," however, does nothing for a street car. On a road-going Porsche, all-black alloys end up looking like something you see on a taxicab and a damn ugly one at that.

Oh, wait, are they supposed to look rugged, somehow masculine, depict strength? They don't. At best, they say "poser." In all cases, they reinforce the notion that that the car's owner is too lazy to keep up the appearance of the car.

You asked.
I hope thats just one persons opinion....if not there are a lot of ugly cars with lazy people at the wheel. Poseur? Really?
Oh yea, OP, I think black would look way better than silver on Chalk. My opinion.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:49 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 294 Posts

I like the 1st one, by a huge margin.
Black wheels only work for me on certain cars, this isn't one as it makes the whole wheel disappear.
You have to clean any color wheel, but black should show less buildup between cleanings.
These things go in cycles, I'm guessing black is over the hump. When will chrome be back?
The following 2 users liked this post by Catharpin:
catdog2 (01-29-2020), Freddie Two Bs (01-30-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:17 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Strong opinions

Man, it never fails to amaze me how one dude asking another's opinion on color more often than not results in a dick-size contest breaking out.

So if black wheels are for poseurs who are too lazy to wash their cars, while silver wheels are for classy, educated gentlemen who prefer the shiny things in life, what about Satin Platinum? Or -- God forbid -- BODY-COLORED Chalk wheels? (Cue another "Miami Vice" reference.)

To address the OP's question: I like 'em both. Buy what you want. At this price point, what others say is irrelevant.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:02 PM
thesasquatch
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

It took me months on the configurator trying to figure out why I COULDN'T figure it out to realize that the reason I couldn't figure it out was because I LIKE ALL THE LOOKS! Whenever I go to the dealership, I love every configuration they have on the floor. I literally could not decide whether I wanted to do Aventurine with the satin black spokes or the RS Spyders. Every time I would decide on one, I would see another and realize THAT was what I wanted.. Finally, I came to realize that there IS NOT always a right answer (man, if only my Mom could hear me saying this). 992's look sexy in every style and configuration. Granted, there are some color combos I've seen posted that make me think "WHAAAAT was he thinking?". But, for the most part, they honestly do all look great.

So, it really becomes more of a question of what mood will you be in more of the time? Will you be in a sporty / ballsy / new-skool mood and want the black rims or will you spend more of your time prancing around wanting to look business-classy and go for the Carrera or RS Spyder wheels?

You're gonna love it either way.. but, then, again.. as I'm writing this, I'm questioning whether the car I've got passing through the Panama Canal right now has the wrong color and wheels on it......Do I want the carrier to sink so I can start over or get the damned thing here so I can finally slam the pedal to the floor and finally be gratified after months of thinking the COLOR is what mattered most.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:29 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

Do you want to know what I think?

Get what YOU want. It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks unless they are helping you pay for it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Penn4S; 01-29-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:49 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Man, it never fails to amaze me how one dude asking another's opinion on color more often than not results in a dick-size contest breaking out.

So if black wheels are for poseurs who are too lazy to wash their cars, while silver wheels are for classy, educated gentlemen who prefer the shiny things in life, what about Satin Platinum? Or -- God forbid -- BODY-COLORED Chalk wheels? (Cue another "Miami Vice" reference.)

To address the OP's question: I like 'em both. Buy what you want. At this price point, what others say is irrelevant.

I ordered chalk over platinum, but think this might be the best color for body colored wheels, looks amazing!
Old 01-28-2020, 11:51 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,503 Likes on 963 Posts

PCCB with satin black with outer lip in guards red. These wheels stay clean and look HOT all year round. Love the look.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:20 AM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 820 Likes on 457 Posts

I think bright silver and chalk clash. Black and chalk complement one another.

Quick Reply: 992 crayon - black wheels or not?