Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Plus: yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 07:07 PM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Power Steering Plus: yay or nay?

A quick search of this forum yields an overwhelmingly negative feedback of PSP, at least as far as 991 goes. Can anyone advise if the opinion is still the same for the 992? Would current owners & experts kindly chime in to help me decide if I should get it or not?

As always, much appreciated 🙏🏼
Old 05-04-2019, 08:01 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by darkblack
A quick search of this forum yields an overwhelmingly negative feedback of PSP, at least as far as 991 goes. Can anyone advise if the opinion is still the same for the 992? Would current owners & experts kindly chime in to help me decide if I should get it or not?

As always, much appreciated 🙏🏼
I have it on my 991.2 C2S with RAS and I will order it again on my 992. Just gives you a little more assisted steering at low speeds. I can’t detect it at highway speeds as it’s not obtrusive to me personally. Cheap option that works as it’s supposed too.

Last edited by Dr. Ice; 05-05-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:54 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I don't have it on my 991.2, and I have no trouble steering at low speeds.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:29 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice
I have it on my 991.2 C2S and I will order it again on my 992. Just gives you a little more assisted steering at low speeds. I can’t detect it at highway speeds as it’s not obtrusive to me personally. Cheap option that works as it’s supposed too.
I think that this is generally the case. Those of us who have it like it and would re-order it. Those who dislike it have either never used it or see no need for it. In my case, I live in the middle of the city and like it for frequent parallel parking maneuvers or backing into my parking space off a narrow city alley. Because I'm accustomed to it, I'd likely reorder it even if I wasn't living in a city.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:20 AM
cymro
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I always option the power steering plus, my parking slot is tight to get into hence the RWS and the power steering plus. well worth the price it makes manoeuvring on slow speed a lot easier. It does not effect fast speed.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:37 AM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I can see how it is helpful and would assume a car of this width requires much support in tight parking and cornering but would you agree with the opinion that PSP takes away the "direct contact" feeling with the wheels and replaces it with an artificial, electronic contact?

The general opinion was also that while it's supposed to come into effect only at low speed and not effect high speed steering theoretically, it stays uniform and active at all speeds.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:57 AM
darkknight26
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 71 Posts

Old 05-05-2019, 02:01 PM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Given there are no counterpoints so far, I’ll provide a different perspective. I can’t tell you what it’s like on the 992, but I can’t imagine it’s very different than on the 991.2. So one thing you should probably do is test drive one with and without. I did not like it. To me it took away from the feeling of tight and precise Porsche steering, and felt more like my prior Lexus sports sedan steering. The unique steering in a Porsche was one of the first things I noticed about Porsches.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:30 PM
Cromo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I placed my order I chose Power Steering Plus.

Then, later, I noticed, in the italian configurator, the text "Rear Axle Steering ( include power steering plus) "

So having chose the rear axle steering I deselected the PSP in the final specs of my car ( still have some days before it close).

Right now I noticed that the text "( include power steering plus)" it is not longer on the RAS description.

So, now i'm a bit confused...
Old 05-05-2019, 07:20 PM
mallocfailure
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Since it's software, apparently the dealer can turn off Power Steering Plus if you end up not liking it - at least that's my understanding.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:37 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

I hate it and wish my car was never ordered with it. From a pure driving perspective; it should be something you can pay to take off rather than pay to put on. People who have deactivated it state that it made a difference at all speeds.

IDK, on my 991 it really seems to take away from a direct steering feel at low speeds. And considering most driving is low speeds, it's not like it has "no effect" on the experience since you supposedly "don't feel it" at high speeds.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:39 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
To me it took away from the feeling of tight and precise Porsche steering, and felt more like my prior Lexus sports sedan steering. The unique steering in a Porsche was one of the first things I noticed about Porsches.
YIKES!! PSP turns a 911 into a Lexus??!! Those of us who share your opinion of Porsche's steering (and are old enough to remember BMW's steering that truly made it 'The Ultimate Driving Machine') may think that's a bit harsh.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:11 PM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't speak to the 992, but on the 991.1, I thought the steering felt noticeably better (to me, for my preferences) without the PSP. I wouldn't order it if I was upgrading. Having said that it does make parking lot maneuvering easier, but I honestly think the non-PSP model is not particularly hard to maneuver, so I don't really think I would appreciate that aspect enough to overcome the "feel" aspect. Again, YMMV.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:39 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by strumbringer
I can't speak to the 992, but on the 991.1, I thought the steering felt noticeably better (to me, for my preferences) without the PSP. I wouldn't order it if I was upgrading. Having said that it does make parking lot maneuvering easier, but I honestly think the non-PSP model is not particularly hard to maneuver, so I don't really think I would appreciate that aspect enough to overcome the "feel" aspect. Again, YMMV.
Yes, the normal steering is not at all hard to maneuver in a parking lot. It’s still power steering after all. If anyone has a hard time moving the normal steering, you shouldn’t be driving for the sake of public safety. 😄.

But if you like the feel of PSP, go for it. Just test it first.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:46 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by hinckley
YIKES!! PSP turns a 911 into a Lexus??!! Those of us who share your opinion of Porsche's steering (and are old enough to remember BMW's steering that truly made it 'The Ultimate Driving Machine') may think that's a bit harsh.
Alas, I never had the pleasure of trying the true Ultimate Driving Machine. A friend who likes Bimmers did tell me that she didn’t like the steering in Porsches because they require more effort than she was used to. I don’t think she ever tried PSP. So I think there is an audience that it is intended for and probably why most dealers spec their cars with it.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Plus: yay or nay?