Sponsored by:

Power Steering Plus: yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 04:20 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by darkblack
The general opinion was also that while it's supposed to come into effect only at low speed and not effect high speed steering theoretically, it stays uniform and active at all speeds.
Can anyone corroborate this? Whether it affects higher speed driving in any negative way?

I have it on mine, but am curious what it's actually doing. My car feels amazing++ to drive, but I haven't driven enough modern Porsches to know how it's affecting steering feel.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:21 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

My SA told me it was a 'must have' feature for a daily driver vehicle (most of the fourteen 991 models I test-drove seemed to have it).

An educated guess would say that, as this is purely a software change for the electric steering system to adjust steering ratio at lower speeds, that there should be zero effect at higher speeds.

Other threads suggest you can have it deactivated (or activated later) via software update at dealership.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9989...-gts-feel.html
Old 05-06-2019, 08:18 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by pelucidor
Other threads suggest you can have it deactivated (or activated later) via software update at dealership.
Suncoast sells it as a separate item on their website - it's definitely something you can activate (and I assume deactivate) at the dealership.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:35 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

It's not politically correct, so Porsche will not say that it is intended for people with small or weak arms. Or maybe one weak arm. Small women, very small men, or handicapped people might appreciate it. This is not a needed option for normal healthy adults. I'm pushing 75 and am 6'1" 167 lbs and skinny arms, and I would definitely not ever want or order this option. It is not what any physically normal adult would want.
The following users liked this post:
FreeinFL (03-30-2021)
Old 05-07-2019, 12:31 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

It's a must.

It makes it so much easier to navigate rush hour traffic while holding a cappuccino, and texting my order to Grubub for that night's dinner.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
eclou (05-15-2023), jonbek (01-10-2023), OKCabriolet (02-02-2024)
Old 05-07-2019, 12:47 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by pelucidor
My SA told me it was a 'must have' feature for a daily driver vehicle (most of the fourteen 991 models I test-drove seemed to have it).

An educated guess would say that, as this is purely a software change for the electric steering system to adjust steering ratio at lower speeds, that there should be zero effect at higher speeds.

Your SA likely just wants to sell cars. Since most cars by dealers are specced that way, they try to move them off the lot so need to say that. It’s definitely not required for a daily driver, and I would venture that most people on this forum that build their own do not include it. Someone should do a poll. More importantly, people should just test drive with and without. PSP feels mushy to me. Normal feels right and precise like a sports car should feel like.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:03 AM
Two718s
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

So I have two new 718s, a Boxster with PSP and a Cayman S without PSP. I have a tight, curving driveway to back out of, and I frequently park both cars in a large multi-story garage where the spaces are quite tight.

After two weeks driving the Cayman S, I finally gave up and ordered the PSP software from Suncoast. I will often drive both cars back to back, and I can't tell the difference at normal road speeds. However, when maneuvering to park, the Boxster is *vastly* easier to maneuver. There's just no comparison. PSP also makes the car feel smaller and more nimble when maneuvering in and out of parking spaces. I tried to parallel-park the Cayman the other day -- I grew up in New York, driving cars with no power steering at all -- and my hilarious attempt to parallel-park the Cayman made me realize how much I've come to rely on PSP in the Boxster. (Of course, the fact that the Cayman has 20" wheels and is therefore much more susceptible to curb rash, may have made me even more hesitant than normal.)

If I lived out in the country and spent most of my time on open roads, I wouldn't bother with PSP. But for anyone who regularly parks in tight spaces, I find PSP to be supremely helpful.

Going in next week to get it added to the Cayman S...
Morbo (07-15-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 03:41 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The general opinion was also that while it's supposed to come into effect only at low speed and not effect high speed steering theoretically, it stays uniform and active at all speeds.
This is nonsense. I’ve owned multiple Porsches with and without PSP at the same time. It only affects steering at low speeds and even then the difference isn’t huge. Stupidest debate out of all the option debates.

I even had two 981s, one with and one without. Zero difference at speed at minor difference at low speeds.
tomingrassia (08-04-2021)
Old 05-07-2019, 05:26 AM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
It only affects steering at low speeds and even then the difference isn’t huge.

Zero difference at speed at minor difference at low speeds.
I'm confused. Are you for or against PSP?

So hypothetically speaking, would adding Rear Axle Steering be considered as an alternate to PSP or does one complement the other, so both are recommended?
Old 05-07-2019, 07:52 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 448 Posts

If you have a RWD model with RAS the steering is perfect. I would consider it on an AWD model without RAS as the steering is noticeably haleavier at low speed.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 AM
adamlew
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I received my 992 (2S) a few weeks back, I opted for RAS but did not go with PSP. This was a conscious decision (that my sales guy advised against) as I didn't like the overly assisted feel of PSP in my previous Cayenne (2019). My 992 is a bit heavy when parking for example, but this set up feels more natural and suitable to the type of car it is in my view. RAS keeps it feeling nimble as well and I imagine it would feel a bit heavier still without RAS. As someone already wrote PSP is a software rather than mechanical option, meaning it can both be added or turned off, and its a fairly cheap option
Old 05-07-2019, 08:16 AM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you, that does clarify it much. RAS without PSP it is then 👍🏼
Old 05-07-2019, 11:11 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

This is nonsense. I’ve owned multiple Porsches with and without PSP at the same time. It only affects steering at low speeds and even then the difference isn’t huge. Stupidest debate out of all the option debates.

I even had two 981s, one with and one without. Zero difference at speed at minor difference at low speeds.
Exactly this. I drove several 991.2s back to back (trying to decide between cab and coupe, and between C2S and C4S etc) and the cars that had PSP were a tad less steering effort when parking compared to ones without. Honestly with/without PSP is not a big deal - and even without PSP there is still much lighter steering effort than some cars I have had (e.g. BMW X5M - heavy car with 315/35R20 tires on back). I think feel/accuracy is more important than heavy/light effort and I am hoping the 992 is better than the 991 in that respect.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:17 AM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Thank you. This is what I wanted to know. Less effort at parking speeds is a plus IMO, as long as normal driving is unaffected.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:34 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I'm confused. Are you for or against PSP?

So hypothetically speaking, would adding Rear Axle Steering be considered as an alternate to PSP or does one complement the other, so both are recommended?
PSP and RAS are not substitutes for each other as they do two entirely different things.

As to what I prefer, PSP or no, I was indifferent, maybe 51/49 pro PSP. I liked it but not enough to spend the time and money to add it to my cars that didn’t have it. The only real opinion I had/have is that those people who claim that PSP is this massive change that turns a 911 into a Lexus are wildly exaggerating. If I were buying a new Porsche, I’d probably add PSP. You can always turn it off if you don’t like it.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Plus: yay or nay?