Sponsored by:

911 Carrera 4S GT Silver: delivered!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:40 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Johisco
I came from a GT3 Touring but I have driven PDK 718, 991.2 and Panamera on road and track as well as 991.2 GTS PDK on road and ice racing track. 991.2 GT3 RS as well but not on ice.

Trust me, you cannot compare a Panamera with a 911...
Does the 992 PDK feel as "connected" as the 991.2?
Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 PM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that in a redesign it seems like an oversight not to fix the gauges where they are all visible but I have the same issue with the outer analog gauges in my 991.1 so it isn’t a new issue.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:41 AM
Johisco
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
Does the 992 PDK feel as "connected" as the 991.2?
To feel really connected I need manual but this is faster, more effective and feels even more race in sports plus.

But short answer yes. You should check out JWW's video. He sums it up pretty much spot on what I feel about the new PDK early in the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uyvSxCOcMaM&t=300s

Last edited by Johisco; 04-20-2019 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:13 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by zx5go
I agree that in a redesign it seems like an oversight not to fix the gauges where they are all visible but I have the same issue with the outer analog gauges in my 991.1 so it isn’t a new issue.
hmm i don't have any issues seeing the outside gauges for my 991.2.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:01 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
Maybe the pre-production/presser Chris Harris was driving (and the brand new panamera loaner i was driving) have older software.
I took what Harris said differently than everyone else. And it fits with what Janko Lind commented as well.

My interpretation was that the PDK was shifting properly in terms of speed, but the "impact" of the shift was softer.

At least with my 991.2, when I'm driving casually in Sport and upshift manually it isn't aggressive in terms of shift speed. Looked exactly like what Harris and Lind were seeing in their videos. Going hard is another story.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:16 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
hmm i don't have any issues seeing the outside gauges for my 991.2.
Obviously people have different seat positions, head positions and arm lengths but the size of the wheel an the cluster is always the same. Some people will have problems and others won't.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:13 PM
MoAlamdar
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Interior

Are you pleased with the black interior leather? Any regrets?

Originally Posted by Cautery
Picked up this saturday and will post more pictures this weekend.

I come from a 911.2 Targa 4. I had and have on this one as well the sport exaust and the sound is COMPLETELY different, more low and a little bit "darker". I don't know how to explain but, is different!

Have a 4S with rear steering axle and PASM: it's way more hard than my previous Targa, both in normal and sport chassis; every speedbumpers and roadholes, are felt more than I was used.

About the nubbin, you have to get used to, but is ok. The piano black, well, I will cover all with transparent ppf since the higher buttons are not touch sensitie, so the problem will fade.

You know which is the dumbest, ugly, useless and annoying thing they have made on this 992: the digital dashbord. I have GT steering wheel and I cannot absolutely see the most right and left dials, making them useless; for the other two, I can see 3/4 of them. The centered one, is ok.

I really don't know why they did such a stupid thing like that... They designed, confirmed and produced the layout without even trying it?!

p.s.: the bluetooth on my PCM was not working; the menu to turn it on was "black" and was not possible to activate it. I called Pietro to see if he had experienced the same problem, but his PCM was working good. Yesterday morning, the bluetooth decided to start working by itself and now is ok!
Old 06-02-2019, 01:35 PM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by B3rk
I do not understand the complaints about the dash. Personally I think it looks great, I do not really use the info on the outer Instruments, only the middel one is important!
Yes, me too.
I can't really see a solution other than putting in a Cadillac steering wheel (no thanks) or shrinking the instrument cluster down (again, no thanks).
If I want to see either of the outer dials, I just move my head by an inch or two, no biggie.

The only flaw for me is the lack of a few more physical buttons rather than doing most things on screen. I've been experimenting with the assignable buttons and I'll make a decision as to what they're going to do over the next few days.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:39 PM
MoAlamdar
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Interior

Old 06-03-2019, 07:16 AM
Cautery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MoAlamdar
No regrets and very happy with the white stitches, a must-have on the black interior imho!
Old 06-09-2019, 12:03 PM
Nottoworry
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats on the car, my order is very similar to yours. You have provided some excellent feedback and I have changed a spec on my car based on your observations.

does your car have wireless CarPlay? That is, do you have to connect your phone to the car with cable? I guess this all assumes you have an iPhone and use CarPlay
Old 06-12-2019, 12:50 PM
Cautery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wCarPlay does not work or I am not able to use it.

Anyway, CarPlay itselfs, for me, it sucks. What’s the point of having a 10.9 screen and be forced to use only 3/4 of it when I’m running CarPlay?!

I’m happy my feedback helped you, that’s why I like forums! Enjoy yours when it arrives! 🔝
Old 06-20-2019, 06:16 PM
Neko
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With these new pictures, I want to share one more complain, and see if I am the only one or if someone else, that already owns the car, is with me or not.

I purchased the "confort access" that enables to open and close the car without using the key. Unfortunately, the systems is very dumb and not confortable al all. The opening, actually is ok, since you have to put your hand under the door handle (having the key in the pocket) and it pops out, unlocking the car.

The problems come when you have to leave the car: I had an Audi and a Range Rover with this kind of system where just by easy touching the door handle, the car would locking instantly. Here in Porsche, the designer decided to complicate everything: to lock the car, you have to touch (with 1 finger) a precise part of the door handle, hoping that it feels the pressure and actually pops in the door handle, unlock the car. Two or three times I've been there still, trying to touching it without any response, that forced me to take off the key and press the close button on it. It's unbelievable how they turned such a an easy system into a nightmare!

As proof of my previous post, here my point of view of the cockpit.

And here how Porsche designers thought you had to sit to fully enjoy it:

Anyway, the car is beautiful and turns every 991/991.2 an old (but great) granny!
Featuring Justin Bieber... on a 911
shame
Old 07-18-2019, 05:37 PM
slythetove
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Saturday I washed my car with a brush made for cars.
NOPE
Old 07-28-2019, 11:16 PM
AnthonyO
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiener

It's not the screens. They're pretty much the same as the Panamera / Cayenne.

Quote:Originally Posted by slc4s no software update is going to change the physical dimensions of the car.Exactly. It's all about the physical positions of the pieces in the car. Not the software. This problem is not going away until the next car comes out. I doubt Porsche is going to re-design the entire dash / wheel / seat.

That's not true, because the screen in the 992 is wider, but if you cut the instruments in the 992 with a software update like in the Panamera, and it stays black on the outer side, which you can't read now, you can then read the instruments just like in the Panamera.
Exactly. It's a screen. Porsche could have one tiny dial in the middle if they wanted. I'm currently deciding between a 4S an AMG 4 door 63S and an M8 Competition. These observations (which I have seen elsewhere) are not helping the 911. It is an idiotic dial setup. My guess is that it was more about copying the old school Porsche design than lack of talent or resources. The Braun electric razor gear selector isn't great but not a deal breaker. The lack of massaging seats, the overuse of plastic, and the lack of an HUD may be (and I know why they don't have a HUD but in 2019 it seems like something a $100K care should have).

Quick Reply: 911 Carrera 4S GT Silver: delivered!