Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 Carrera 4S GT Silver: delivered!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 02:41 PM
dj997
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Does the exhaust produce overrun sounds in sport like with the 991.2? Beautiful car, congrats!
Old 04-03-2019, 03:02 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
Just conjecture, but if Porsche is wise, hopefully the following for interior:

5 circular displays not obstructed by steering wheel

Replace nubbin with something else (perhaps even a better looking small shifter)

No piano black

No giant cup holder (and no empty cubby hole; instead, perhaps small compartment with lid like previous smoker’s package)

symmetrical screen or a screen that spans to passenger side like the Taycan picture in this thread

possibly get rid of horizontal interior look altogether
On a facelift?

You're not actually serious about this are you?
Old 04-03-2019, 04:27 PM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darkblack
I had the opportunity to sit in one the other day for the first time and I really liked the interior. It felt modern and comfortable. That said, I was driving my M5 later in the day and while fiddling with the iDrive controller I realized the absence of such a controller in the 992! I tried to simulate reaching forward towards the screen to access the touch controls while driving and found it totally counter intuitive. I would have to take my eyes off the road to touch the relevant part of the screen. Is this scenario realistic or am I over thinking it? Or perhaps the PCM is only meant to be accessed while the vehicle is stationary. Maybe the new owners can share their feedback.

The traditional PDK stick should have been left alone (or upgraded to an F-16 controller a la new M5?) and maybe the "nubbin guy" should have been able to get a small joystick controller so the driver can control the PCM in a safe and non distracting way. Everyone wins!
One of the things I discovered by accident on my test drive was the voice control. I pressed the steering wheel button by mistake and realised what I had done. So on a whim I decided to ask it to play an obscure DAB radio station "Play Scala Radio". And it did!

I have a BMW 355 and Volvo XC90, both of which I use Apple CarPlay with. The BMW requires use of the iDrive or voice, the Volvo touchscreen input or voice. I felt that the digital screen was easily within reach to touch in the 992, but if the voice works well, I'll mostly use that.

There is also the option to program the steering and dash buttons.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:31 PM
Cautery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another crappy thing? The Bluetooth calls while driving really sucks. You can hear very well but who is at the phone, will hear 80% car noise and 20% your voice. What the hell?!

They really cutted the budget here and there in this 992! 😬
Old 04-03-2019, 04:32 PM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cautery
Another crappy thing? The Bluetooth calls while driving really sucks. You can hear very well but who is at the phone, will hear 80% car noise and 20% your voice. What the hell?!

They really cutted the budget here and there in this 992! 😬
Sports exhaust off and revs < 5000?

Old 04-03-2019, 04:37 PM
Cautery
Instructor

For not having a “navigation stick” to interact with the PCM, is not a problem. All you have to do while driving is change songs, turn up and down the volume and you can do everything with the button on the steering wheel. Every other things you do while not driving can be handled very easily and faster with the touch screen than any other non-touch system, trust me!

The lane keeping assist also is a joke. Actually, is a joke to me since my other drive is a Tesla M3: it only “warns” you with a sound and a vibration on the steering wheel and give a very little correction on the direction that usually turns out to let the car go too much to the opposite side. I had an Audi A3 back in 2013 with a more advanced system, but well, Porsche is a car made to be driven by human, so I accept this thing. So my suggest for everyone is to use money for something else over the lane keeping assist.

Tesla Autopilot is totally another planet!
Old 04-03-2019, 04:41 PM
Cautery
Instructor

Originally Posted by Christian S.
Sports exhaust off and revs < 5000?

I called @pietrostone once while he was probably on an highway. I guess. It was almost the same quality when I call my father when he goes break his back on his 4C Spider on sundays 😂
Old 04-03-2019, 07:35 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

It is good to finally get feedback on the 992 - good and bad - from a RL'er.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:33 PM
T3X4S
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
It is good to finally get feedback on the 992 - good and bad - from a RL'er.
+1
Old 04-04-2019, 01:46 PM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

If memory serves me correctly, out of the two dials you can't see well (unless you move your head), one displays temperature and the other one is mainly time and date. In the scheme of things....... meh

Ok one also doubles up as another nav screen but so what? You have a giant screen right in front of you.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:10 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

Why have the two obstructed gauges at all, then, if you can't see them? Okay, maybe they are not displaying vital information but still, why put them there if they cannot be seen? Poorly thought-out engineering on Porsche's part. Same goes for the nubbin. And the cup holder. This is another case of Porsche making a change for the sake of change, not because it is making the car better. In fact, given the poor ergonomics, I'd say the digital/analogue gauge in the 992 is a change for the worse in comparison to the classic 5 dial analogue gauge setup from models past.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:43 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

Wonder why they didn't model it more like the Cayenne 5 gauge layout. You can easily see them all sitting in the driver's seat.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:44 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Wonder why they didn't model it more like the Cayenne 5 gauge layout. You can easily see them all sitting in the driver's seat.
They sell about 3 SUVs for every sports car, so it's not surprising that's where the talent gets assigned. 911 customers can make do with unreadable gauges, nonfunctional nubbins, and fake hex heads on the steering wheel. What are they going to do, buy Corvettes?

Judging by what I see on the streets around here, it feels like the ratio is more like 10:1 to 20:1.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:39 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
They sell about 3 SUVs for every sports car, so it's not surprising that's where the talent gets assigned. 911 customers can make do with unreadable gauges, nonfunctional nubbins, and fake hex heads on the steering wheel. What are they going to do, buy Corvettes?

Judging by what I see on the streets around here, it feels like the ratio is more like 10:1 to 20:1.
Couple of people have told me they have lost a few 911 sales to M5 Competition Packs. 2 very different cars I know, but it is what it is. And with the new G20 M3 coming, Porsche should get a handle on this sooner than later.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:57 AM
Wiener
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Join Date: Sep 2006Location: Gilroy, CAPosts: 423Wonder why they didn't model it more like the Cayenne 5 gauge layout. You can easily see them all sitting in the driver's seat.

I hope that the bug can be fixed with a software update, so that you can read the complete display, and Porsche does this as well.

Quick Reply: 911 Carrera 4S GT Silver: delivered!