Sponsored by:

911 Carrera 4S GT Silver: delivered!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 05:10 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by darkblack
What do you suppose will change in the next update?
Just conjecture, but if Porsche is wise, hopefully the following for interior:

5 circular displays not obstructed by steering wheel

Replace nubbin with something else (perhaps even a better looking small shifter)

No piano black

No giant cup holder (and no empty cubby hole; instead, perhaps small compartment with lid like previous smoker’s package)

symmetrical screen or a screen that spans to passenger side like the Taycan picture in this thread

possibly get rid of horizontal interior look altogether
Old 04-03-2019, 06:01 AM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like a 993 to me!
Old 04-03-2019, 06:41 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by darkblack
What do you suppose will change in the next update?
What TennisGuy said. That, and maybe do something about the door handles if it turns out that they are a source of widespread grumbling.

I like the overall gestalt of the 992, inside and out, but almost all of the details appear to have been phoned in. They seem to be putting their best people on the next-generation product (Taycan) and the moneymakers (SUVs). And how annoying is it that the new Macan facelift still has the traditional PDK shifter while the 911 gets a vestigial nubbin?
Old 04-03-2019, 06:53 AM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
And how annoying is it that the new Macan facelift still has the traditional PDK shifter while the 911 gets a vestigial nubbin?
Probably because it's a facelift rather than a new model.

I'd advise waiting to see how owners get on with the interior over time.

I've only had an hour and a half driving the car and found it a very comfortable place to be. What will annoy me over time? What works really well? Too soon to draw any conclusions. Cabin quality seems good, seats, steering wheel and driving position appear great.

It could be that the console and gear selector become entirely accepted and some other area becomes more of a concern.

Personally the references to the original 911 dash appeals to me. The digital instrument cluster allows a lot of freedom to adapt display and control of displays.

But let's drive the thing and find out.

Lovely car Cautery! Look forward to reading about it. Two or three weeks to wait for mine.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:41 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian S.

What will annoy me over time? What works really well? Too soon to draw any conclusions.

It could be that the console and gear selector become entirely accepted and some other area becomes more of a concern.

A voice of reason and maturity.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Cautery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dumpers removed and finally my 911 IS back to be a 911! 😂

About the confort access “problem”, they know that you have to press only in that little spot of the door handle. Porsche made it like that for “safety reason” they said... 😕

The 3rd rear brake light has been “fixed” by applying a small glossy black vynil wrap in the middle of it. Now it’s like it had to be! 🥳

Old 04-03-2019, 08:47 AM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian S.
Probably because it's a facelift rather than a new model.

I've only had an hour and a half driving the car and found it a very comfortable place to be. What will annoy me over time? What works really well? Too soon to draw any conclusions. Cabin quality seems good, seats, steering wheel and driving position appear great.

Personally the references to the original 911 dash appeals to me. The digital instrument cluster allows a lot of freedom to adapt display and control of displays.

Lovely car Cautery! Look forward to reading about it. Two or three weeks to wait for mine.
I had the opportunity to sit in one the other day for the first time and I really liked the interior. It felt modern and comfortable. That said, I was driving my M5 later in the day and while fiddling with the iDrive controller I realized the absence of such a controller in the 992! I tried to simulate reaching forward towards the screen to access the touch controls while driving and found it totally counter intuitive. I would have to take my eyes off the road to touch the relevant part of the screen. Is this scenario realistic or am I over thinking it? Or perhaps the PCM is only meant to be accessed while the vehicle is stationary. Maybe the new owners can share their feedback.

The traditional PDK stick should have been left alone (or upgraded to an F-16 controller a la new M5?) and maybe the "nubbin guy" should have been able to get a small joystick controller so the driver can control the PCM in a safe and non distracting way. Everyone wins!
Old 04-03-2019, 09:09 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

First of all congrats on the new car.

Wow, brake light mods have already started!!! yay
Old 04-03-2019, 10:33 AM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

Man I love the brake light mod! Never thought about it! You could even do a dark tint if you wanted some light coming out the middle and it’ll still look good... this is probably a no brainer for someone to come out with a pre-cut strip.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:08 AM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Cautery
Dumpers removed and finally my 911 IS back to be a 911! 😂

About the confort access “problem”, they know that you have to press only in that little spot of the door handle. Porsche made it like that for “safety reason” they said... 😕

The 3rd rear brake light has been “fixed” by applying a small glossy black vynil wrap in the middle of it. Now it’s like it had to be! 🥳

does the car sit a little lower with the pucks gone? Glad you figured this out and congrats on the new ride.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:19 AM
Cautery
Instructor

Originally Posted by slc4s
does the car sit a little lower with the pucks gone? Glad you figured this out and congrats on the new ride.
I didn't checked the height from the side, but the car was finally feeeling confortable as it has to be!!
Old 04-03-2019, 12:43 PM
Wiener
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that Porsche can fix the missing view on the speedometer by a software update, which then overlaps the display, as in the Panamera.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanic
Ah! We have our answer: shipping pucks left in place. This used to be so common a mistake that it's a wonder it could occur with a new 992.
I would have guessed this from the first picture the OP posted. The front wheel gap is too large.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:34 PM
Wiener
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An insolence which materials Porsche uses in a car of this price class.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:39 PM
Cautery
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wiener
An insolence which materials Porsche uses in a car of this price class.
From the driver point of view, it’s too low. You don’t see it! 😂

Quick Reply: 911 Carrera 4S GT Silver: delivered!