Sponsored by:

GT3 Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 04:59 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
600hp from an NA 4.0 would be epic. Here is the write up on the Bosch system in the M4GTS which presumably would be what would be fitted to the GT3 if the article is correct.

https://newatlas.com/bosch-water-injection/45205/

My question is what do you do when it is below freezing? It’s 7 degrees out right now where I am. What do 2RS owners do? Is there a drain or something or do you just not park or drive in freezing temps? The only similar systems I am aware of run 50/50 methanol/water so it does not freeze. In fact my friend who has such a system on his Cummins would just run winter washer fluid in it.
Engineering Explained did a video on the BMW's water system. From memory I think it automatically pumps all the water back to the reservoir when you switch off the car to avoid any pipes freezing/bursting.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
QFT. That's a "rebuild every 20 hrs" level of performance.
Right - particularly with a 4.0 Flat-6. Cylinders are too big to spin that much mass that fast. If some company wanted to surpass 150 hp per liter with an NA 6-cylinder motor, it would be far easier with 2.0L (only 300hp). For 600hp, 4.0L V-12 would be the way to go (doesn’t fit in back of 911).

If you were Porsche and wanted a 600hp GT3, you would choose turbocharging or electric motor additions.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:32 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
as the current 992 transmission has room for hybrid components.. and GT3 is unabashedly an NA offering, i'll shoot a premature spray across the bow, FXZ style.. and say it's "CONFIRMED" that GT3 will NOT go turbo. It's quite logical in fact to see that 992.2 could go hybrid-NA.. just with a small battery to help with torquefill and possible 50 or so extra HP, while still keeping to a glorious 9000rpm + redline. If you've ever driven a 918 spyder, you will understand the incredible driving experience of this drivetrain.. you get ALL the NA sound, with ALL the NA throttle response, but with a massive dollop of low and midrange torque, with the NA engine fully focused on taking care of the top-end. I've had the pleasure of hustling both 918 and 918 Weissach's around a few tracks, and aside from the considerable weight of the car felt under certain braking situations.. it was simply otherworldly. Porsche would not have put this much development money into hybrid if this weren't the plan for trickle-down into other cars. 992.2 will be NA-hybrid, if you connect the dots, you will know this to be true.

in the meantime, here is an excellent video from the always enjoyable MRJWW on the pleasure of driving the 918... trust me, you WANT this to happen.. it's the ultimate drivetrain combo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Uu-Q7sqvg
I agree 100%. I personally think the GT3 & GT3 RS are clearly heading towards hybrid + NA. I wouldn't be surprised if this is how Porsche introduces hybrid tech to the 911 line by making the 992.2 GT3 it's first hybrid + NA and then adding a hybrid to the Carrera line which will likely be better received since it is already proven in the GT line.

I doubt the 992.1 GT3 will be anything but NA.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:29 PM
once4all
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
600hp from an NA 4.0 would be epic.
Why Porsche wants to invest so much to make a major improvement on their next gen GT3/RS? They simply need to tweak a little bit, and announce this is the official last NA, and they can sell triple the volume of 991. We will be flighting in the line to get one!
Old 01-21-2019, 10:43 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
we're getting efficient.. by the way, do you think the LWB's are comfortable for daily?
Also been meaning to ask... Is front axle lift necessary, and if I don’t get it, will it affect value?
Old 01-22-2019, 03:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ lift, depends
I don't need it. but if you have steep driveway, you need it
does it affect value? yes. I will not buy any with front lift. that's just me
many other will not buy a car without.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:12 AM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford

That’s like saying it’s odd to have a 991.2 Turbo even though all the 991.2 are turbo.
isn’t it?
Old 01-22-2019, 03:21 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

We all forget that GT3 RS must clearly heading towards the GTLM RSR homologation rules
Old 01-22-2019, 11:21 AM
S.White
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

Right - particularly with a 4.0 Flat-6. Cylinders are too big to spin that much mass that fast. If some company wanted to surpass 150 hp per liter with an NA 6-cylinder motor, it would be far easier with 2.0L (only 300hp). For 600hp, 4.0L V-12 would be the way to go (doesn’t fit in back of 911).

If you were Porsche and wanted a 600hp GT3, you would choose turbocharging or electric motor additions.
Or you could just get to a 600hp 4.0L with a revised intake, exhaust, and tune like Dundon is about to do. I think electrification on the 992.1 GT3/RS cars is going to be pretty un Porsche-like and a bit premature. I could see it on a 992.1 Turbo S E Hybrid but not on the GT3 cars until maybe 992.2. However, I do agree that the future GT3 cars may stay NA with a small hybrid system of some sort. That'll make for an incredible package but I hope it's not too harsh on tires. (They'll probably address this with Michelin anyways) Also, I'd assume a hybrid system could help with brake pad life (by way of brake re-gen) and maybe even allow for a smaller/lighter brake system overall? Maybe this along with a lightweight hybrid system could help minimize the weight burden of the additional system and lessen the tire degradation concerns. We shall see.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:45 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by S.White
Or you could just get to a 600hp 4.0L with a revised intake, exhaust, and tune like Dundon is about to do.
Porsche builds car to pass international sound, emissions, and fuel consumption limitations while being compatible with crappy pump fuel quality. While I'll reserve judgment about whether the above Dundon modifications are sufficient to exceed 600hp (+100hp compared to .2 GT3 on same dyno) without increasing displacement (very skeptical), I can say with full confidence that they cannot with the above limitations faced by Porsche and while keeping 4-year 50,000 mile warranty.

For reference, the brand new 911 GT3R factory race car has a very sophisticated intake with 6 individual throttle bodies and race exhaust with a 9,400 rpm redline (redline info from Guest89), comes with zero warranty, and is rated at 550hp without a restrictor (Click on "The Drive" or look at attachment):

https://www.porsche.com/usa/motorsportandevents/motorsport/customerracing/racingcars/991-2nd-gt3-r/
Attached Images

Last edited by GrantG; 01-22-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:25 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

Or you could just get to a 600hp 4.0L with a revised intake, exhaust, and tune like Dundon is about to do. I think electrification on the 992.1 GT3/RS cars is going to be pretty un Porsche-like and a bit premature. I could see it on a 992.1 Turbo S E Hybrid but not on the GT3 cars until maybe 992.2. However, I do agree that the future GT3 cars may stay NA with a small hybrid system of some sort. That'll make for an incredible package but I hope it's not too harsh on tires. (They'll probably address this with Michelin anyways) Also, I'd assume a hybrid system could help with brake pad life (by way of brake re-gen) and maybe even allow for a smaller/lighter brake system overall? Maybe this along with a lightweight hybrid system could help minimize the weight burden of the additional system and lessen the tire degradation concerns. We shall see.
600hp with these mods. LOL.LOL.LOl.LOL.Lol. Vaporware. I'll believe that when I see an INDEPENDNT dyno!!
Old 01-22-2019, 12:59 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis

Also been meaning to ask... Is front axle lift necessary, and if I don’t get it, will it affect value?
YUP! FAL is a must. Cars that can be used in the countryside and city will always have higher appeal and therefore higher value.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:08 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

You should delete this post and hope that everyone who read it suffers from amnesia, or start over on RL with a new account.

The factory builds a 4.0 liter flat six that develops over 600 bhp with no sonic restrictor fitted; it's in the 911 RSR, which costs €991,000 plus spares, plus delivery (if Porsche will even sell you one).

A crate engine for the car is in the ~$250,000 range, per more than one person I know who works for the factory's operational partners (Core and Manthey).

Please reach out to Pascal Zurlinden (link below) right away and let him know that a small, independent shop in Washington state can deliver 600+ bhp in a street car while those second-rate losers who work for Porsche Motorsport can barely get that done with a blank check! It's too late for the Daytona 24, which is this weekend, but maybe they can get some help - or at least save a little money - before Sebring.

https://presskit.porsche.de/motorspo...c-gt-2018.html

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
600hp with these mods. LOL.LOL.LOl.LOL.Lol. Vaporware. I'll believe that when I see an INDEPENDNT dyno!!
+1
Old 01-22-2019, 01:15 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

From UFO to UEO or UFE

to whom new to fantasyworld E stands for exhaust
Old 01-22-2019, 01:32 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jkfuel
The GT cars are fantastic as is. I can't wait to see what P is planning to make it feel even more special this go around. I agree tho, hybrid plus NA likely.
The additional weight of a hybrid could be a concern...

Quick Reply: GT3 Rumors