Sponsored by:

GT3 Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 01:26 PM
dwishen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
You should delete this post and hope that everyone who read it suffers from amnesia, or start over on RL with a new account.

The factory builds a 4.0 liter flat six that develops over 600 bhp with no sonic restrictor fitted; it's in the 911 RSR, which costs €991,000 plus spares, plus delivery (if Porsche will even sell you one).

A crate engine for the car is in the ~$250,000 range, per more than one person I know who works for the factory's operational partners (Core and Manthey).

Please reach out to Pascal Zurlinden (link below) right away and let him know that a small, independent shop in Washington state can deliver 600+ bhp in a street car while those second-rate losers who work for Porsche Motorsport can barely get that done with a blank check! It's too late for the Daytona 24, which is this weekend, but maybe they can get some help - or at least save a little money - before Sebring.

https://presskit.porsche.de/motorspo...c-gt-2018.html

+1
lol at a 100hp gain with exhaust and tune on an already maxed-out naturally aspirated engine
Old 01-25-2019, 01:35 PM
S.White
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
He said "spinning away on the test bench". He meant with race camshaft profiles to make power over 10,000 rpm, race exhaust, race intake with 6 throttle bodies, race fuel, and with no regard to longevity (probably over 10,000 rpm - maybe just last the length of one Sunday afternoon race?). It was likely an RSR motor that probably cost more for just the motor than an entire GT3 road car and would likely have poor behavior on the street with lower revs...
This is getting ridiculous. Can you provide a source for that information? None of that was in the Autocar interview or any other interview that I can find.

Also, regarding race components or even an actual race engine not able to be run in productions cars (as you're implying), that is already happening with the 991.2 GT3RS. It's a GT3 Cup engine with solid lifters and a variable pressure oiling system (see here from Porsche: https://www.porsche.com/international/models/911/911-gt3-models/911-gt3-rs/drive-chassis/performance/ ). It is a race engine with race cams, race exhaust, and race intake. In addition, ITBs aren't a disqualifier for street legality but may not be necessary for the power goals, nor is the ability to run race fuel at the track a disqualifier (the GT3 Cup only runs 93 octane BTW here is some info on that: https://www.porsche.com/usa/motorsportandevents/motorsport/customerracing/racingcars/911-gt3-cup/featuresandspecs/), or an even less restrictive exhaust (this can be flapped as it's already being done on these cars).

On that note, here's a new article claiming the next GT3RS may have the 4.0 engine out of the GT3R.... without the need for restrictors (this information was provided in an earlier post as well):
https://www.autocar.co.nz/autocar-news-app/next-porsche-911-gt3-rs-to-keep-naturally-aspirated-engine

Lastly, here's the Autocar article I have sourced the original AP statement from, FYI:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2018-porsche-911-gt3-rs-revealed

Happy reading!
Old 01-25-2019, 01:46 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by S.White
Also, regarding race components or even an actual race engine not able to be run in productions cars (as you're implying), that is already happening with the 991.2 GT3RS. It's a GT3 Cup engine with solid lifters and a variable pressure oiling system (see here from Porsche: https://www.porsche.com/internationa...s/performance/ ). It is a race engine with race cams, race exhaust, and race intake. In addition, ITBs aren't a disqualifier for street legality but may not be necessary for the power goals, nor is the ability to run race fuel at the track a disqualifier (the GT3 Cup only runs 93 octane BTW here is some info on that: https://www.porsche.com/usa/motorspo...turesandspecs/), or an even less restrictive exhaust (this can be flapped as it's already being done on these cars).

On that note, here's a new article claiming the next GT3RS may have the 4.0 engine out of the GT3R.... without the need for restrictors (this information was provided in an earlier post as well):
https://www.autocar.co.nz/autocar-ne...pirated-engine

Lastly, here's the Autocar article I have sourced the original AP statement from, FYI:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...t3-rs-revealed

Happy reading!
The Cup makes 485hp.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/motorspo...s/911-gt3-cup/

Yes, the RS and GT3 use this motor almost without modification. I'd love to hear how you think this motor is capable of 115hp more than a Cup.

The article you posted quotes AP as saying "In racing trim, if allowed to run without air restrictors, the engine could make more than 600bhp."

It also says the maximum the motor could make in its stock spec is 523hp (still 77 hp shy of your claim). Not by coincidence, 523hp is also the number rumored by Porsche for the 992 GT3.

Racing trim includes all the mods I mentioned above (as seen in RSR). That's what the last "R" means...

The GT3R with its racing 6 throttle bodies and 9,400 rpm redline (and cams to benefit from it) makes 550hp...

Last edited by GrantG; 01-25-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:57 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 648 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by S.White
This is getting ridiculous. Can you provide a source for that information? None of that was in the Autocar interview or any other interview that I can find.

Also, regarding race components or even an actual race engine not able to be run in productions cars (as you're implying), that is already happening with the 991.2 GT3RS. It's a GT3 Cup engine with solid lifters and a variable pressure oiling system (see here from Porsche: https://www.porsche.com/internationa...s/performance/ ). It is a race engine with race cams, race exhaust, and race intake. In addition, ITBs aren't a disqualifier for street legality but may not be necessary for the power goals, nor is the ability to run race fuel at the track a disqualifier (the GT3 Cup only runs 93 octane BTW here is some info on that: https://www.porsche.com/usa/motorspo...turesandspecs/), or an even less restrictive exhaust (this can be flapped as it's already being done on these cars).

https://www.autocar.co.nz/autocar-ne...pirated-engine

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...t3-rs-revealed

Happy reading!
Do you seriously believe the load of monkey s-it you're preaching. AP meant that ONE of the motors ON a test bench hit 600hp before it exploded...probably at over 10,000 RPM. There is no other mechanical way besides (forced induction) to generate more power on NA motor.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Got nothing for you cats on the engine, but I'll say this much after driving the 992S: If a chassis that dialed is the starting point for the next GT3, the thing will be a beast. And someone pretty close to the pulse confirmed it will be just that.

There are some things I am not crazy about in the 992, such as the screen—I want simpler cars, not more complex cars—but my co-driver and I found ourselves wishing for real-time tire temps and pressures on one side of the main screen with a configurable deck of "gauges" for anything the ECU has a read on (transmission temps, etc) next to it, allowing the screens to either side of the tach to be configured to driver preference, whether it be shift assist or? Me? I'd go for a big green dot to one side that goes red if something's up. Or maybe a screen you're using for something else goes to a red circle—as a sort of giant 908 idiot lamp for the 21st century. Might be some pretty interesting possibilities for those screens with data acquisition, approaching car warnings, etc. Over the top for track days? Sure, but what would they have said about what we have now ten years ago?

Anyway, color me intrigued...
Old 01-25-2019, 02:49 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
Got nothing for you cats on the engine, but I'll say this much after driving the 992S: If a chassis that dialed is the starting point for the next GT3, the thing will be a beast. And someone pretty close to the pulse confirmed it will be just that.
Yeah, I'll be surprised if the 992 GT3 (non-RS) doesn't break 7 minutes at the Ring (possibly by a comfortable margin). Maybe first Manual Production car to do so?

Making the rear wing Active would save lots of time speeding down the Dottinger Hohe straight...

Last edited by GrantG; 01-25-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:56 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, I'll be surprised if the 992 GT3 (non-RS) doesn't break 7 minutes at the Ring (possibly by a comfortable margin). Maybe first Manual Porsche to do so?

Making the rear wing Active would save lots of time speeding down the Dottinger Hohe straight...
I wonder if it beats the 991.2 GT3RS.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Buteo

I wonder if it beats the 991.2 GT3RS.

It would be pretty typical to do that (991.1 GT3 beat 997.2 RS including the limited RS 4.0)…

That's how they separate us from our money so successfully
Old 01-25-2019, 03:30 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

It would be pretty typical to do that (991.1 GT3 beat 997.2 RS including the limited RS 4.0)…

That's how they separate us from our money so successfully
Good thing is. This last 991.2 GT3RS will be the last one I can afford. With the increase in price with each gen, I will be out of the market with the 992 gt3rs.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:34 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Buteo
Good thing is. This last 991.2 GT3RS will be the last one I can afford. With the increase in price with each gen, I will be out of the market with the 992 gt3rs.

It is a shame that the price of these cars has out-paced inflation (but the rate of performance increase has been impressive). But maybe your awesome RS will perform so well in the secondary market (as well as the track) that it will offer you the option of an affordable trade in 4 years...

If you decide not, keeping your .2 3RS indefinitely doesn't sound too bad either

Last edited by GrantG; 01-25-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:50 PM
Berjar
Racer

Received 371 Likes on 143 Posts
Default 992 will be faster but

The 992 GT3 will be faster but
I am not sure I will like "Oldsmobile like" interior or the new back end?? We will see what the wizards at Porsche come up with.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Berjar
The 992 GT3 will be faster but
I am not sure I will like "Oldsmobile like" interior or the new back end?? We will see what the wizards at Porsche come up with.

Good point to keep in mind: A faster GT3 isn't necessarily a better GT3...(brilliant photo, btw )

Old 01-25-2019, 04:25 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,340 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

There are some things I am not crazy about in the 992, such as the screen—I want simpler cars, not more complex cars—but my co-driver and I found ourselves wishing for real-time tire temps and pressures on one side of the main screen with a configurable deck of "gauges" for anything the ECU has a read on (transmission temps, etc) next to it, allowing the screens to either side of the tach to be configured to driver preference, whether it be shift assist or? Me? I'd go for a big green dot to one side that goes red if something's up. Or maybe a screen you're using for something else goes to a red circle—as a sort of giant 908 idiot lamp for the 21st century. Might be some pretty interesting possibilities for those screens with data acquisition, approaching car warnings, etc. Over the top for track days? Sure, but what would they have said about what we have now ten years ago?

Anyway, color me intrigued...
Pete, the 992 carrera front and rear tracks were widened, similar to 991 GT3 dimensions. Now that Porsche has gone all in with the wide body for all carreras, do you think they won't still use that for the 992 GT3? For the 992 RS, they'll use the 992 Turbo body, but I expect the 992 GT3 have close to the same body dimensions as the 992 Carrera and similar front/rear track dimensions as the 991 GT3, just 150lbs heavier, but now with the 991.2 RS engine.

Assuming the 992 GT3 gets the current 991.2 RS engine, I can see them gaining a few seconds on the Ring with that setup, but not that much more as the extra power of the 992 GT3 would be largely offset by the extra 150 lbs of 992 weight? And I'm sure they will tweak the 992 GT3 chassis further, but I wonder how much of what you noticed with the 992 carrera testing was just the extra stability of the wider tracks compared to your 991 Carrera T?
Old 01-25-2019, 04:31 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

No reason to assume 150 lb weight gain without 8spd PDK. Manual will continue to be lightest and pdk May keep lighter 7spd version...
Old 01-25-2019, 04:37 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Sleep easy. It will be faster. It always is.

Quick Reply: GT3 Rumors