Sponsored by:

First Drive in 992

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:55 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Will return to some of the questions/feedback, but for now want to get through some thoughts on the other two movements in Spain. So, first up…

992 on the wet handling course:
Of everything poorly conveyed during the 992's debut, Wet Mode got the shortest shrift in my opinion. It wasn't until I heard an engineer speaking about it that its broader importance—and intention—began to sink in. This engineer, who played a pivotal role in the development of PSM for the 996 C4 (and subsequent offerings), was clearly proud of the development in Hockenheim, noting its value for safety in the here and now as well as its potential value for autonomous vehicles when it comes to detecting conditions wet enough to require various adaptations. In speaking with him again in Spain, he noted that ....
Hope this is ok to ask: Could you share who he is please (via PM if needed) I'm looking for appealing examples of tech people who we can use to connect German customers on a couple of topics.

Am really enjoying your observations on the 992!
Old 01-22-2019, 08:57 AM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Wow, I got sidetracked at work and quickly wanted to check the latest news on RL when I stumbled over your A-MAZING review & insights which gave me at least half an hour of fun reading it. Many thanks Pete!! (Also for making me having to stay at least 30 minutes longer to finish work).

Can I ask you whether you noticed any big difference between the standard comfort seats & the adaptive sport seats in terms of comfort & quality? I was also wondering whether you know, what material the back side of the seats is made of? Is it leather or plastic?
Old 01-22-2019, 10:35 AM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

This thread is the most useful source of 992 info available right now. Many thanks.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:23 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
I hope my first 992 will be a Targa.
Interesting you should mention the Targa…

Originally Posted by VOLTCONTROL
Hope this is ok to ask: Could you share who he is please (via PM if needed) I'm looking for appealing examples of tech people who we can use to connect German customers on a couple of topics.

Am really enjoying your observations on the 992!
PM sent…

Originally Posted by DKST
Wow, I got sidetracked at work and quickly wanted to check the latest news on RL when I stumbled over your A-MAZING review & insights which gave me at least half an hour of fun reading it. Many thanks Pete!! (Also for making me having to stay at least 30 minutes longer to finish work).

Can I ask you whether you noticed any big difference between the standard comfort seats & the adaptive sport seats in terms of comfort & quality? I was also wondering whether you know, what material the back side of the seats is made of? Is it leather or plastic?
Sorry about that!

I cannot, as I did not test sit every seat available. But...this question and some others have me thinking about a way to optimize future trips and yields for this audience—and I do think this audience is worthwhile. In the past 20 years, I've targeted information yields for a niche magazine (Excellence or Panorama) but still a pretty general audience to be getting too far into the options. No one was writing with such specific requests. I also had to come back with "exclusive content" for my employer. 000 allows me the freedom to dispense with that need to withhold early impressions, etc—as "deep dive/bigger picture" long-form content I can pull from an event for 000's pages may not necessarily be delivered well here—and leaves me with a chance to interact with all of you more freely. I don't need to worry about carefully crafted words/eloquence so much, and can engage in a casual conversation. And, to be honest, I quite like this. It's car people, talking. And a chance to share information I went to collect. Also, unlike so many outlets, which may have a small percentage of buyers or possible buyers involved, I suspect the percentage is large here in the 992 forum. And some of them are potentially among the first orders—so going to the dealership isn't an option. They have to make decisions based on what they can find at this stage.

Again, this conversation is giving me some ideas on how to tweak my methods.

Originally Posted by slc4s
This thread is the most useful source of 992 info available right now. Many thanks.
You are welcome—and glad you find it so!
Old 01-22-2019, 03:26 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

Interesting you should mention the Targa…

Again, this conversation is giving me some ideas on how to tweak my methods.
I would seriously want a Targa if only they had a manual roof option like the original ones. The new Targas are just a bit too complicated (mechanically) for me. Not to mention the added weight.

Pete, how about a blog on your site? Or a YouTube channel. Or both!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:09 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bonn72
I would seriously want a Targa if only they had a manual roof option like the original ones. The new Targas are just a bit too complicated (mechanically) for me. Not to mention the added weight.
You really ought to check out the 991.2 GT3 Touring-based "GT3 Targa" concept renderings for the 000 Build in Issue 008. It isn't complicated. Or heavy.

Originally Posted by bonn72
Pete, how about a blog on your site? Or a YouTube channel. Or both!
Blogs seem dead, or at least very dated, to me. And they're passive for the reader, where this is interactive—and more intellectually engaging (not to mention informational) than social platforms. Perhaps an email to subscribers is worthwhile...but...email. And the inevitable responses and re-responses. Which will benefit one fellow enthusiast at a time while junking up their inbox, not to mention the rainforest that is my inbox. Yikes.

As for a YouTube channel? While there is one for 000, this is mostly to host video that help people understand what 000 is. We want to remain different and stay focused on our brand of long-form entertainment and our pursuits, rather than enter into competition with existing car media outlets/avenues. As for me as a YouTube channel? As much as I admire and enjoy some of them, that just isn't for me. I'd frankly rather hang out here, which is the digital equivalent of heading down to EASY on the first Saturday of the month: Fun with folks who like what I like. A getaway. If my trip notes are useful and add something, awesome.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:22 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

You really ought to check out the 991.2 GT3 Touring-based "GT3 Targa" concept renderings for the 000 Build in Issue 008. It isn't complicated. Or heavy.

Blogs seem dead, or at least very dated, to me. And they're passive for the reader, where this is interactive—and more intellectually engaging (not to mention informational) than social platforms. Perhaps an email to subscribers is worthwhile...but...email. And the inevitable responses and re-responses. Which will benefit one fellow enthusiast at a time while junking up their inbox, not to mention the rainforest that is my inbox. Yikes.

As for a YouTube channel? While there is one for 000, this is mostly to host video that help people understand what 000 is. We want to remain different and stay focused on our brand of long-form entertainment and our pursuits, rather than enter into competition with existing car media outlets/avenues. As for me as a YouTube channel? As much as I admire and enjoy some of them, that just isn't for me. I'd frankly rather hang out here, which is the digital equivalent of heading down to EASY on the first Saturday of the month: Fun with folks who like what I like. A getaway. If my trip notes are useful and add something, awesome.

I'll check that GT3 Touring Targa out. Sounds like something I would love to have.

I hear ya about blogs. I just figure it would be somewhat interactive with comments, etc. Kind of like what BaT is doing by allowing users to comment on their car auctions. The only issue I have here on rennlist, or any forum for that matter, is that it's difficult to find the right information. Also, it's too easy to miss out on good information. I'm thinking an online news site from 000 would be great. Folks could even comment on articles in 000 magazine. I don't know. I would think there has to be a way to make this a bit more professional than an average blogger or youtuber.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:58 PM
Northquest
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha - sounds like a fun trip!

Will you be at the 48 hours next week?

P
Old 01-22-2019, 06:11 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

Did they give you any sense of timing on the Targa that you can share? If the targa was here today that's what I would be ordering.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:47 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info and the time you've taken in putting this together, very informative and interesting to me. Even though I happy with my current 2018 991.2 C2, it's interesting to hear your various comparisons - especially given your extensive experience in all sorts of P cars. Much appreciated!

Cheers, -Peter
Old 01-22-2019, 10:02 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Northquest
Haha - sounds like a fun trip!

Will you be at the 48 hours next week?

P
It was—mainly for the time with two engineers and a designer I've known for a while now. Those kinds of conversations are always the most interesting to me. The road drive wasn't bad, either...

I wish, as then 48 Hours is one of those events I've personally wanted to get to for a very long time. But I gotta drive the desk…as Issue 9 is coming up to steam.

Originally Posted by slc4s
Did they give you any sense of timing on the Targa that you can share? If the targa was here today that's what I would be ordering.
No sense of timing given, but I get the sense it's a ways out and will drop later. Just my hunch, probably based more on the lack of mules seen so far. We'll see. One thing that I feel I can share from that conversation: They were surprised by the 991 Targa's popularity, particularly in California and a few other markets. When asked what I thought drove its success, I said I felt that the original Targa concept, unlike some other retro concepts that don't work on today's bigger cars (and this is an issue across the industry), happens to work really well on the 991. Speaking for myself only, I feel it's a masterful translation of the original, and very appealing visually. I hope they can do at least as well with a 992 Targa.

Originally Posted by PLom
Thanks for the info and the time you've taken in putting this together, very informative and interesting to me. Even though I happy with my current 2018 991.2 C2, it's interesting to hear your various comparisons - especially given your extensive experience in all sorts of P cars. Much appreciated!

Cheers, -Peter
You're welcome. Should probably add some pics, and will try. As for your 991.2 C2, I have one in the garage and was very happy to see it when I got home. For all of the new car's advances, there are still things I like about the outgoing model. Its simpler shape (perhaps familiarity is at work?), cleaner front and rear ends, interior that places less priority on screens, etc.

So I'll be happy to drive a 991.2 for another few years, and if reliable, maybe it becomes a longterm keeper rather than a trade-in. In my view, there are two ways to have a 911: Buy one after the next, or pick a spot along the continuum and stick with it, and I'm quite happy with the latter approach when a "mere Carrera" is as good as the 991.2. There really isn't much I need a 911 to do that this one doesn't do. I was, however, also happy to find that the road doesn't have to end at 991.2—I remember that feeling after testing one 991.1 after the next, wondering if my personal interest ended with the 997 despite the car's merits. It's good to have an open road ahead, and I am very curious to try a base 992 with a manual gearbox.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:45 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,032 Likes on 654 Posts

So I'll be happy to drive a 991.2 for another few years, and if reliable, maybe it becomes a longterm keeper rather than a trade-in. In my view, there are two ways to have a 911: Buy one after the next, or pick a spot along the continuum and stick with it, and I'm quite happy with the latter approach when a "mere Carrera" is as good as the 991.2. There really isn't much I need a 911 to do that this one doesn't do. I was, however, also happy to find that the road doesn't have to end at 991.2—I remember that feeling after testing one 991.1 after the next, wondering if my personal interest ended with the 997 despite the car's merits. It's good to have an open road ahead, and I am very curious to try a base 992 with a manual gearbox.
Great view point - I think there are lot out there in the same boat - the .2 series has been so good that the incremental changes to the 992 are not a "must have". I like the engineering tweaks made to the engine, wider track, shorter gearing etc. The internal and external stylistic changes don't really sing to me and overall the 911 just seems to keep growing.

Does this kill the car, no, because the stylistic/design changes are subjective and for every nay there will be a yay. In many respects the new S and GTS have merged (really becomes options given the wide body) - the latter will have 20Nm more torque and 25 more horses - the rhetorical question is, does this even matter in a car that can ring in 7:20-7:25? I don't think it does anymore.

I made a decision some time ago to put the interior back into my .2 GTS (it was tracked and other last season) and will keep it for a few more years. The primary reasons memories, fun factor and flexibility - a very enjoyable car (the only issue was a failed water pump which was fixed under warranty). I will pick up a 718 GT4 or 991.2 GT3 (and modify appropriately) to use as a dedicated road rally/track car going forward (or at least until I can't get in or out of a caged car )

I think a lot of buyers, particularly new buyers will be very happy with the 992 - the reality is these cars are largely used as dailys or cruisy/sporty weekenders and as such they have to compete in a market that covers that space - so that means comfort, amenity and what loosely passes as tech has to be accommodated or at least addressed. This has been done in the 992.

I think the real test for Porsche will be the 992 GT3, in my country the 991.2 GT3 now costs $US300k, you see some doing DE days and the odd club event and thats about it - they are no longer a go to track car (or a car that can be upgraded for more series racing). I suspect we'll see 1 or 2 year old garage queens being picked up down the depreciation curve for conversion to race duty or alternatively the next GT4 will become the go to car (I'll probably go forward with either of these).

I think Porsche need to take a long hard look at where to position the 992 GT3, particularly over here where there are a lot of GTX cars on the market (relative to the market size) and they are not moving. Perhaps the 992 represents the line in the sand between ICE dominated and hybrids/EVs.

Last edited by groundhog; 01-23-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:24 AM
Northquest
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=stout;15585819]It was—mainly for the time with two engineers and a designer I've known for a while now. Those kinds of conversations are always the most interesting to me. The road drive wasn't bad, either...

I wish, as then 48 Hours is one of those events I've personally wanted to get to for a very long time. But I gotta drive the desk…as Issue 9 is coming up to steam”

I guess that kind of relations combined with an enthusiasm and genuine interest is what makes this such an experience for us too! It’s an inside and an exclusive feeling. Can’t wait to receive the next 000!
Thanks!
Poul
Old 01-23-2019, 02:28 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

to appreciate the improvments over the past model I agree that the 992 S lap times should be compared to be fair with a 991 S not the past 991 GTS

in facts the 991.2 GTS with the same tires (have the same 450 hp) will turn most likely in the same 992 S results

following the german logic when ppl complained that the 991.1.RS 500HPs were no more than the past 997 RS4L,

PAG replied that the 991.1 RS should be compared with a 997.1 RS not the .2

at this point one should compare a 992.1 S to a 991.1 S,
992 turbo power is more, steering is better, eventhough not sure the "911 handling" feeling is the same,

it s worth to note that 991.1 S PDK is 88 lb (40 Kg) lighter than previous 997 S with the PDK,

instead no jurnos nor Pag indeed have yet remarked that the 992.1 S is 262 lb 119 Kg heavier than 991.1 S,

which is not a small difference in handling despite the increased 992 power and better tires

not to mention the different NA 3.8 vs the 3liters turbo personality
or the little more mid engine 992 layout

i'd like to hear a 992 "911" qualitative review instead of cold Ring time numbers that tells only 50% of the story behimd a car,

especially i can t wait for a 991.1 S manual Vs a 992.1 S manual

in the meantime going over the funny 992 design discussions jokes, to me the real big mistake from Pag was not understanding that the 3liters turbo would have cut too much from that 911 personality, spending a little more in N.A. engine RnD would have saved them a lot of troubles, indeed unless the emergent markets would take a different direction...
which we know is not likely the case first because the global slow down, secondly because the so called emergent markets, so far..., do nothing but following the "old" ones tastes and directions...

Last edited by fxz; 01-23-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:29 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,032 Likes on 654 Posts

This is quite a funny review - long, but there is a great section with Timo Kluck - who is very funny. Echos a few of Stouts comments

Quick Reply: First Drive in 992