992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Drive in 992

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019 | 10:32 AM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

I believe Chris Harris (Top Gear) was at the Valencia event as well. I really enjoyed his review and ended up watching it twice. I've never been a fan of his before, but I think in this review he comes off much more mature and charismatic than before. Or it's just me. Anyway, spoiler alert. He loves it.
Carfection (Henry Catchpole) was also there and did a great review.

Both on YouTube.
Old 01-23-2019 | 12:59 PM
adamlew
Intermediate

Thanks Mr Stout for very comprehensive info!

One thing that no one touched upon is the Rear Axle Steering - which I believe almost all press cars are equipped with. I have this option on my 2019 Cayenne S and find that it feels natural when driving hard, but I cant really get used to it during normal (slow) driving as the rear end feels a bit loose 8although it does improve driving in tight spaces). I am about to swap my Cayenne for a 992 (and go for a Volvo for the family) and have settled for a pretty basic spec without PDCC, rear axle steering etc. Just curious to hear any views on RAS in the 992 - thus far I have not heard any negative feedback

Many thanks in advance!
Adam
Old 01-23-2019 | 01:35 PM
david2018
2nd Gear

Default 2019 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S On The Race Track

the new 992 is amazing!

Old 01-23-2019 | 01:52 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
Great view point - I think there are lot out there in the same boat - the .2 series has been so good that the incremental changes to the 992 are not a "must have". I like the engineering tweaks made to the engine, wider track, shorter gearing etc. The internal and external stylistic changes don't really sing to me and overall the 911 just seems to keep growing.

Does this kill the car, no, because the stylistic/design changes are subjective and for every nay there will be a yay. In many respects the new S and GTS have merged (really becomes options given the wide body) - the latter will have 20Nm more torque and 25 more horses - the rhetorical question is, does this even matter in a car that can ring in 7:20-7:25? I don't think it does anymore.

I made a decision some time ago to put the interior back into my .2 GTS (it was tracked and other last season) and will keep it for a few more years. The primary reasons memories, fun factor and flexibility - a very enjoyable car (the only issue was a failed water pump which was fixed under warranty). I will pick up a 718 GT4 or 991.2 GT3 (and modify appropriately) to use as a dedicated road rally/track car going forward (or at least until I can't get in or out of a caged car )

I think a lot of buyers, particularly new buyers will be very happy with the 992 - the reality is these cars are largely used as dailys or cruisy/sporty weekenders and as such they have to compete in a market that covers that space - so that means comfort, amenity and what loosely passes as tech has to be accommodated or at least addressed. This has been done in the 992.

I think the real test for Porsche will be the 992 GT3, in my country the 991.2 GT3 now costs $US300k, you see some doing DE days and the odd club event and thats about it - they are no longer a go to track car (or a car that can be upgraded for more series racing). I suspect we'll see 1 or 2 year old garage queens being picked up down the depreciation curve for conversion to race duty or alternatively the next GT4 will become the go to car (I'll probably go forward with either of these).

I think Porsche need to take a long hard look at where to position the 992 GT3, particularly over here where there are a lot of GTX cars on the market (relative to the market size) and they are not moving. Perhaps the 992 represents the line in the sand between ICE dominated and hybrids/EVs.
^ Very interesting commentary, and I agree that the pricing is changing the equation and way I would use, and think about, the 911. And what I would cross-shop (witness the used FF thread, which mirrors my interest in the 550 Maranello over various long-hood 911s). Those cross-shops are complicated for a variety of reasons, but the fact they are coming into view says a lot.

The greatest pity is to see track toys that are no longer useful as track toys because the people who track them, won't. I'm not sure that is the broader narrative, however. Would love to see statistics of track use from 996/997 era to 991/992 era. These, too, will be clouded by the number of cars sold then and now—as well as how much more user friendly the cars have become on the street.

Originally Posted by fxz
to appreciate the improvments over the past model I agree that the 992 S lap times should be compared to be fair with a 991 S not the past 991 GTS
in facts the 991.2 GTS with the same tires (have the same 450 hp) will turn most likely in the same 992 S results

following the german logic when ppl complained that the 991.1.RS 500HPs were no more than the past 997 RS4L,

PAG replied that the 991.1 RS should be compared with a 997.1 RS not the .2

at this point one should compare a 992.1 S to a 991.1 S,
992 turbo power is more, steering is better, eventhough not sure the "911 handling" feeling is the same,

it s worth to note that 991.1 S PDK is 88 lb (40 Kg) lighter than previous 997 S with the PDK,

instead no jurnos nor Pag indeed have yet remarked that the 992.1 S is 262 lb 119 Kg heavier than 991.1 S,

which is not a small difference in handling despite the increased 992 power and better tires

not to mention the different NA 3.8 vs the 3liters turbo personality
or the little more mid engine 992 layout

i'd like to hear a 992 "911" qualitative review instead of cold Ring time numbers that tells only 50% of the story behimd a car,

especially i can t wait for a 991.1 S manual Vs a 992.1 S manual

in the meantime going over the funny 992 design discussions jokes, to me the real big mistake from Pag was not understanding that the 3liters turbo would have cut too much from that 911 personality, spending a little more in N.A. engine RnD would have saved them a lot of troubles, indeed unless the emergent markets would take a different direction...
which we know is not likely the case first because the global slow down, secondly because the so called emergent markets, so far..., do nothing but following the "old" ones tastes and directions...
^ Always appreciate your comments. Usually with experience and perspective.

I believe I addressed weight in my thread on the Zuffenhausen/Hockenheim trip, and again here. In speaking with the engineers (who are none too happy about the weight gains, either), they put it at 50~ kg rather than your figures on a like for like basis (it's tricky with no 7MT out this time at the launch, which also needs to be considered on the not-so-nice price gain—dictated by the launch with the S PDK only, unless the 7MT is going to be a no-cost "performance manual"). But, to revisit quickly, the weight gain comes in no small part from the new 8sp PDK, which adds another main shaft (heavy) and a bigger case, which then requires a bigger void in the unibody, which then requires more strength in the unibody (making the usual targeted gains harder to achieve). And so on. These are decisions made a lot higher up the food chain, by executives as well as regulations they must meet. And, of course, by customers. Or what is perceived to be customer preference.

As to the 3.0, we're on two sides of that coin. I was worried as was everyone else about the 3.0 going in for the NA 3.4 and 3.8. After testing every Porsche flat six from the 993 forward (and by testing, I mean a minimum of 500-1000 miles, often 2000-3000 miles, and occasionally 10,000-30,000 miles), I think it breathed new life into the Carrera—and is, plainly, one of Porsche's top five or ten production flat sixes. Better in terms of character than any factory 911 Turbo I can recall and up there with the best of Porsche's NA flat six water coolers—though not as exciting as some of the wilder ones. In terms of both power and character, I view the 3.0 as better than all but a very few air-cooled engines (2.2 MFI and 2.5 come to mind....a lot of the rest are over-rated in terms of power band character, imo). But then, I am neither an NA adherent nor a coupe-only driver. I just like what I think is good or very, very well done, which is why I'd take a 987.2 Boxster Spyder over some "bigger/better" 911s—but would rather have a 991.2 Carrera than my old GT4. Others' mileage, of course, may vary!

Your point about sticking with NA also raises another thought, when considered with the build numbers of the 991.2 GT3s: The 3.0 allowed PAG to hit its targets re: regulations, etc while delivering a better car (imo) to those customers while still delivering a LOT of NA 911s to those who just had to have that, and a better NA engine than maybe any in its history short of the CGT. When I look at it like that, who lost? How many GT3s did they build again, both in number and as a percentage? And they also offered a third engine character in the 911 Turbo/S. It is probably the least appealing to me in terms of character, but it is both sumptuous and stupid fast—which fits that product pretty well, too.

Definitely don't view my take as definitive. Just hope it is useful.

Originally Posted by adamlew
Thanks Mr Stout for very comprehensive info!

One thing that no one touched upon is the Rear Axle Steering - which I believe almost all press cars are equipped with. I have this option on my 2019 Cayenne S and find that it feels natural when driving hard, but I cant really get used to it during normal (slow) driving as the rear end feels a bit loose 8although it does improve driving in tight spaces). I am about to swap my Cayenne for a 992 (and go for a Volvo for the family) and have settled for a pretty basic spec without PDCC, rear axle steering etc. Just curious to hear any views on RAS in the 992 - thus far I have not heard any negative feedback

Many thanks in advance!
Adam
It's invisible in the 992 Carrera S. I got a faint "the back is up to something" even in the Carrera T, something that left me with mixed feelings on our 600-mile 991.2 Carrera 7MT vs Carrera T 7MT w/RAS road test. My counterpart loved the added agility and stability, and I did too. But I don't like that odd sensation of another driver (a computer) at work in simple cars, or any cars. And I felt RAS was slightly apparent (think hints, from time to time) in simpler cars like the Carrera S and T, where it was better hidden in cars like the Turbo and GT3. Seems like lessons have been learned, and applied to the 992. Call me a fan of RAS as a result. Would be curious to try a 992 without it…and in a simple spec. I usually prefer the simpler specs, but the 911 continues to grow, and that's why we are getting more systems—particularly those like RAS and PDCC.
Old 01-23-2019 | 02:46 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Question:
First 911 purchase.....a 991.2 Carrera T manual or wait for a 992 Carrera in manual?
I understand that it (991.2) is not worth trading in, but if buying/leasing new, which one would be the best option?
Thanks for any replies!!
Old 01-23-2019 | 02:51 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seis-speed
Question:
First 911 purchase.....a 991.2 Carrera T manual or wait for a 992 Carrera in manual?
I understand that it (991.2) is not worth trading in, but if buying/leasing new, which one would be the best option?
Thanks for any replies!!
I'm a bad guy to ask on this one, as it comes down to configuration preferences.

If, like me, you like a simple 911 with a manual gearbox, the choice is clear: 991.2 Carrera T, a known qty.

If you want PDK and gizmos, things get interesting. To me, the cross-shop might be 991.2 Turbo/S (any, they're literally all very good) or 992 Carrera S/4S.
Old 01-23-2019 | 02:51 PM
adamlew
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stout
^ Very interesting commentary, and I agree that the pricing is changing the equation and way I would use, and think about, the 911. And what I would cross-shop (witness the used FF thread, which mirrors my interest in the 550 Maranello over various long-hood 911s). Those cross-shops are complicated for a variety of reasons, but the fact they are coming into view says a lot.

The greatest pity is to see track toys that are no longer useful as track toys because the people who track them, won't. I'm not sure that is the broader narrative, however. Would love to see statistics of track use from 996/997 era to 991/992 era. These, too, will be clouded by the number of cars sold then and now—as well as how much more user friendly the cars have become on the street.

^ Always appreciate your comments. Usually with experience and perspective.

I believe I addressed weight in my thread on the Zuffenhausen/Hockenheim trip, and again here. In speaking with the engineers (who are none too happy about the weight gains, either), they put it at 50~ kg rather than your figures on a like for like basis (it's tricky with no 7MT out this time at the launch, which also needs to be considered on the not-so-nice price gain—dictated by the launch with the S PDK only, unless the 7MT is going to be a no-cost "performance manual"). But, to revisit quickly, the weight gain comes in no small part from the new 8sp PDK, which adds another main shaft (heavy) and a bigger case, which then requires a bigger void in the unibody, which then requires more strength in the unibody (making the usual targeted gains harder to achieve). And so on. These are decisions made a lot higher up the food chain, by executives as well as regulations they must meet. And, of course, by customers. Or what is perceived to be customer preference.

As to the 3.0, we're on two sides of that coin. I was worried as was everyone else about the 3.0 going in for the NA 3.4 and 3.8. After testing every Porsche flat six from the 993 forward (and by testing, I mean a minimum of 500-1000 miles, often 2000-3000 miles, and occasionally 10,000-30,000 miles), I think it breathed new life into the Carrera—and is, plainly, one of Porsche's top five or ten production flat sixes. Better in terms of character than any factory 911 Turbo I can recall and up there with the best of Porsche's NA flat six water coolers—though not as exciting as some of the wilder ones. In terms of both power and character, I view the 3.0 as better than all but a very few air-cooled engines (2.2 MFI and 2.5 come to mind....a lot of the rest are over-rated in terms of power band character, imo). But then, I am neither an NA adherent nor a coupe-only driver. I just like what I think is good or very, very well done, which is why I'd take a 987.2 Boxster Spyder over some "bigger/better" 911s—but would rather have a 991.2 Carrera than my old GT4. Others' mileage, of course, may vary!

Your point about sticking with NA also raises another thought, when considered with the build numbers of the 991.2 GT3s: The 3.0 allowed PAG to hit its targets re: regulations, etc while delivering a better car (imo) to those customers while still delivering a LOT of NA 911s to those who just had to have that, and a better NA engine than maybe any in its history short of the CGT. When I look at it like that, who lost? How many GT3s did they build again, both in number and as a percentage? And they also offered a third engine character in the 911 Turbo/S. It is probably the least appealing to me in terms of character, but it is both sumptuous and stupid fast—which fits that product pretty well, too.

Definitely don't view my take as definitive. Just hope it is useful.

It's invisible in the 992 Carrera S. I got a faint "the back is up to something" even in the Carrera T, something that left me with mixed feelings on our 600-mile 991.2 Carrera 7MT vs Carrera T 7MT w/RAS road test. My counterpart loved the added agility and stability, and I did too. But I don't like that odd sensation of another driver (a computer) at work in simple cars, or any cars. And I felt RAS was slightly apparent (think hints, from time to time) in simpler cars like the Carrera S and T, where it was better hidden in cars like the Turbo and GT3. Seems like lessons have been learned, and applied to the 992. Call me a fan of RAS as a result. Would be curious to try a 992 without it…and in a simple spec. I usually prefer the simpler specs, but the 911 continues to grow, and that's why we are getting more systems—particularly those like RAS and PDCC.
Thanks very much! Sounds like I should perhaps re-consider. Eagerly await a comparison with a 992 without RAS though as the thought of a more organic / natural spec still feels right..

I also eagerly await a picture of an Aventurine Green example in natural light. There is one circulating on instagram that some people claim to be Aventurine, but it is an Agate that someone tweaked.
Old 01-23-2019 | 02:55 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adamlew
I also eagerly await a picture of an Aventurine Green example in natural light. There is one circulating on instagram that some people claim to be Aventurine, but it is an Agate that someone tweaked.
There's been an obvious stunner when it comes to exterior hue that simply suits the car better than others at press launches of late. 918 was Dark Blue Metallic, GT4 was Guards Red, etc. There wasn't this time—none of the cars present looked better than the dark blue car used in Christophorus, and if I had to choose among them it would have been GT Silver. Too bad no Aventurine. Would have really liked to see it, as I loved the old one from 993 days.
Old 01-23-2019 | 03:24 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Question:
Thanks for any replies!!
I had the same dilemma last summer. It was an easy choice for me since I wanted something where the kinks were worked out (991.2) and was readily available (no wait). At this point it's a little tougher decision, but I think I would still chose the T since I wouldn't want any 'first year model' issues.
Old 01-23-2019 | 05:17 PM
adamlew
Intermediate

Same here. My local Porsche dealer (in Stockholm) showed me a sample of the colour the other day and it looks great - but different from both the configurator and the car at the LA show (see below). A bit darker than Agate, with a sort of bronze undertone. Different than the 993. I am yet to confirm my spec so lets see if more images turn up.

Aventurine to the right, Agate on the left with a glimpse of night blue even further left. Light not perfect but quite accurate
Old 01-23-2019 | 06:26 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

: The 3.0 allowed PAG to hit its targets re: regulations, etc while delivering a better car (imo) to those customers while still delivering a LOT of NA 911s to those who just had to have that, and a better NA engine than maybe any in its history short of the CGT.
Better than the 4.0 in the 997 four-point-oh?
Old 01-23-2019 | 08:08 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Better than the 4.0 in the 997 four-point-oh?
Yes, I prefer the 911R 4.0 and, especially, the slightly harder-edged 991.2 GT3 4.0 to the Mezger 4.0 in the 997. One can argue noise. I suppose.

One can also argue total package, in which case I'll still take the 997 4.0. Every time.
Old 01-25-2019 | 02:30 AM
seis-speed
Pro

I'm a bad guy to ask on this one, as it comes down to configuration preferences.

If, like me, you like a simple 911 with a manual gearbox, the choice is clear: 991.2 Carrera T, a known qty.

If you want PDK and gizmos, things get interesting. To me, the cross-shop might be 991.2 Turbo/S (any, they're literally all very good) or 992 Carrera S/4S.
I am a manual transmission aficionado who prefers simplicity...seems like I am a 991.2 buyer.

The one caveat, sterring feel possibly being better in 992.

Also, dealers seem too forget my contact info the moment I bring up European Delivery.
To the point, I have considered no Porsche purchase ever, due to this frustrating aspect of the buying experience.

Old 01-25-2019 | 02:40 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Question:
Thanks for any replies!!
It would be most regrettable to pass on a Carrera T (the 991 Carrera swan song and last-ever narrow body) to wait for a civic 992, especially a first year model.
Old 01-25-2019 | 08:10 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

I am a manual transmission aficionado who prefers simplicity...seems like I am a 991.2 buyer.

The one caveat, sterring feel possibly being better in 992.

Also, dealers seem too forget my contact info the moment I bring up European Delivery.
To the point, I have considered no Porsche purchase ever, due to this frustrating aspect of the buying experience.

Multiple reviews today mentioned the improved steering feel (especially on 2S) which is encouraging...

Also I've found the same thing with euro delivery... Porsche dealers genuinely seem to not want my money. BMW dealers have always been super cool with me on euro delivery.

Quick Reply: First Drive in 992