992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Drive in 992

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019 | 09:12 PM
PorscheMeister42
Instructor

Most Porsche Dealers will work with you on a European Delivery...I've had the conversation with my SA often as well as I thought the same in that they were all not interested. They are, but often a longer return on their order slot doesn't make it their most thrilling thing to do. But, they will do it. Porsche asks them for 6 months at minimum in the planning process (order to delivery) to ensure the date you want is available, so plan accordingly. You know how they are...they want their $$$ sooner rather than later, which we can understand to some degree. They also get charged for your trip, quite a substantial amount too. Responsibility for flights is on you, the rest of the trip being covered by the Dealership.
Old 01-25-2019 | 11:33 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Hi Pete. I really enjoyed your cogent analysis of the 992. Clearly this is the best discussion on the 992 board which I have rarely visited. I can't help but wonder though if there is 'something missing' in the new car. Yea they're starting with a better dialed in turbocharged flat 6 and a better tweaked chassis but you and others have mentioned the void in the chassis created for future hybrid gear. Any thoughts on what will happen to the car when this gear appears? I think the car may become a monster and a game changer compared to any past 911-think 918 or LaFerrari. It will probably be a little heavier and way more technical, but you will probably get a true supercar for the supercar price. I'm wondering if I should wait to swap my 3131 lb. 991.1 GTS coupe with a manual transmission for that car.

Jim
Old 01-26-2019 | 01:14 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by slc4s
Multiple reviews today mentioned the improved steering feel (especially on 2S) which is encouraging...

Also I've found the same thing with euro delivery... Porsche dealers genuinely seem to not want my money. BMW dealers have always been super cool with me on euro delivery.
weird hearing all this trouble with European delivery. My Dealer LOVES it. All over it.
Old 01-26-2019 | 07:59 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911boy

weird hearing all this trouble with European delivery. My Dealer LOVES it. All over it.
Yeah, I understand they get an extra allocation for each.
Old 01-26-2019 | 09:57 PM
disden
Drifting

I have done Euro Delivery 3 times now, my dealer loves it because they get another allocation which helps improve overall sales - especially on 911s which they don't get many being a small volume dealer. I highly recommend it. my 992 build was placed as European Delivery. DO NOT do European Delivery if you plan to drive to big cities... waste of time and more risky for your car. Do this if you plan to enjoy the mountains, countryside, or the amazing race tracks for track days (highly recommend Spa!)
Old 01-30-2019 | 04:47 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

I enjoy reading your continued 992 appraisals very much and like others appreciate the time you take to answer questions.
I currently have a 991.2GT3 PDK, 981 Spyder and Ferrari 458 so the new 992 has flown under my radar until now..I'm more interested in the forthcoming MT version..Have you been given any indication on when it will be released.As the bulk of the 992's weight gain is due to the new 8 speed PDK would it be realistic to expect the 7 MT to be considerably lighter. Did they give you any clues regarding this.?
On the PSE did you get a chance to hear any non PSE cars as a potential money saving exercise.Were the test cars fitted with the new Particulate filter or were they US spec where i guess the GPF isn't mandatory.This is of concern to me as i reside in the UK and the thought of having a GPF on a 992 petrifies me.
Why is the US configurator showing the 992 CS as 1537Kg(in lbs) where the UK shows it as 1515 KG ?..Its all very confusing.!
Old 01-31-2019 | 02:46 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Here's the 991.2 and 992 next to each other - screenshots from Autogefuhl:

Old 01-31-2019 | 08:03 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Originally Posted by Taffy66
.As the bulk of the 992's weight gain is due to the new 8 speed PDK would it be realistic to expect the 7 MT to be considerably lighter. Did they give you any clues regarding this.?
The weight gain unfortunately is not all confined to the PDK from what I've read - it's a combination of the PDK as well as the provisions (extra volume & bracing) to support both it and the future hybrid bits. Plus, going to a wide body for all models has to have a significant contribution as well to the C2 models.

Old 01-31-2019 | 10:25 AM
adamlew
Intermediate

A fully kitted our 991.2 with PDCC, PDK, RAS, glass roof etc will probably be heavier than a "lightly" specced 992. In terms of size the 992 is shorter than for example a 991 GT3 and GTS, and as wide. A bit heavier, yes, (by 45-50kg, like a 12 year old in the passenger seat) and of course the footprint is a bit bigger than a narrow body 991. But no more so than a wide body 991.. And - the 992 seems slightly better balanced, and seems to be improved in most areas (I personally also like the rear end, and love the interior). One worry though, is whether this model "needs" all the kit like PDCC and RAS to really be as good as reviewers seem to think. Over.
Old 01-31-2019 | 12:56 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adamlew
............ One worry though, is whether this model "needs" all the kit like PDCC and RAS to really be as good as reviewers seem to think. Over.
PDCC is the one I wonder about most.
IMO the RAS would most likely be felt and contribute to the car feeling more nimble.
I'm guessing that PDCC would be beneficial for anyone planning to track their car but not so much for street usage.

Last edited by InTgr8r; 01-31-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2019 | 01:07 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

^ No question in my mind that RAS, as it does in the 991.2, contributed to agility, stability, and driver confidence in the 992s I tested. What I found interesting is that it is less apparent in use to me than it is in the 991.2, where I sometimes can detect a whiff of "digital" at work in the simpler-spec cars (Carrera S, Carrera T). It's a very minor and hard to "prove" sensation, and issue—but it wasn't one in the 992.

Would be curious to try a 992 without PDCC. It's so wide that I don't see the need, but it was also "invisible" or "organic" in use in the 992—where I hated PDCC in the early release 991.1 Carrera S. Maybe the calibration got better in later customer cars. It's very, very good in the 992.

Just spent a decent chunk of yesterday at Sears Point in my 991.2 Carrera 7MT. And the 992 Carrera S with PDK, Sport PASM, PDCC, RAS, etc was notably better on track at Valencia than my 991.2 Carrera 7MT with PCCB, 20s, Sport Chrono, PASM, TechArt springs, and DSC at Sears Point. Faster for sure, but also better planted, flatter through the turns, and able to keep pace with a hard-driven 991.2 GT3 RS around the track. This is progress.

You may not like the styling of the 992, or its interior. I get that, and have my reservations too—but have spent less time talking about them because styling is a pretty personal thing, and I have often found that I need to see a car out in the world, in different specs, before I can make that call. Same goes for the interior...I find I need to live with it a bit to know. I do get what people are saying, when they say photos are enough to know whether they will like a car or not—as that often proves true. However, sometimes it doesn't. I'd like to see some 992s out in the wild…
Old 01-31-2019 | 05:31 PM
St8haus
Racer

Originally Posted by stout
^ No question in my mind that RAS, as it does in the 991.2, contributed to agility, stability, and driver confidence in the 992s I tested. What I found interesting is that it is less apparent in use to me than it is in the 991.2, where I sometimes can detect a whiff of "digital" at work in the simpler-spec cars (Carrera S, Carrera T). It's a very minor and hard to "prove" sensation, and issue—but it wasn't one in the 992.
^^COMPLETELY agree. I did some hot laps a couple days ago at Thermal Raceway as a passenger and could not believe how much I could feel the rear end coming around, almost what felt like on its own.That was my biggest take away from the laps. Quite impressive

Up CA Highway 74, they are a blast to lead/follow. The 997.2 cannot compete in the corners going down...going up there is less of a gap, but still evident. I will post some drone footage in the next couple days

Old 01-31-2019 | 05:34 PM
Benedict14
Rennlist Member

Just spent a decent chunk of yesterday at Sears Point in my 991.2 Carrera 7MT.

And the 992 Carrera S with PDK, Sport PASM, PDCC, RAS, etc was notably better on track at Valencia than my 991.2 Carrera 7MT with PCCB, 20s, Sport Chrono, PASM, TechArt springs, and DSC at Sears Point.

Faster for sure, but also better planted, flatter through the turns, and able to keep pace with a hard-driven 991.2 GT3 RS around the track. This is progress.
My first reaction to reading that it was “notably better” was - it damn well should be. The 992 S has considerably more HP and torque. More importantly, it’s also got every performance option that Porsche offers. Including PDK with Sport Chrono vs. Manual transmission. The only way it couldn’t have been flatter would be if the PDCC was broken. Kind of surprised that you wrote that. I’m not being critical, I enjoy reading your stuff. Just surprised.

A 991.2 GTS and the 992 S - If we loaded them both with every performance option, the important metric would be a comparison between the two on a track. That would be more valid perhaps ? I hope the 992 would come out on top.

Last edited by Benedict14; 01-31-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2019 | 05:45 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benedict14

My first reaction to reading that it was “notably better” was - it damn well should be. The 992 S has considerably more HP and torque. More importantly, it’s also got every performance option that Porsche offers. Including PDK with Sport Chrono vs. Manual transmission. The only way it couldn’t have been flatter would be if the PDCC was broken. Kind of surprised that you wrote that. I’m not being critical, I enjoy reading your stuff. Just surprised.

I can see how what I wrote would be taken that way, but my point in sharing it was simply that it was nice to have the confirmation from my own 991.2 out on a race track.

And, to a lesser extent, what I mean in this case by "better" on track is that if you put the keys in front of me and offered me either for yesterday's time on track, I'd take the 992. Not just faster/more accomplished, but a better AND MORE FUN tool for the job of an occasional and somewhat impromptu track day in a street car. Those don't always go together.

But I wasn't bummed to drive home in my 991.2 last night, and would still choose it. I prefer it for personal reasons rather than objective ones. And, if it proves as reliable as my GT4 was, it may just be a longterm keeper. I love its mix of simplicity (aesthetically and—comparatively—technologically). As a stop on the 911 continuum, it's one of my favorites—particularly as a "do everything" 911. The 992 has yet to earn that accolade from me, as you don't learn that in a day...
Old 01-31-2019 | 06:11 PM
Benedict14
Rennlist Member

I can see how what I wrote would be taken that way, but my point in sharing it was simply that it was nice to have the confirmation from my own 991.2 out on a race track.

And, to a lesser extent, what I mean in this case by "better" on track is that if you put the keys in front of me and offered me either for yesterday's time on track, I'd take the 992. Not just faster/more accomplished, but a better AND MORE FUN tool for the job of an occasional and somewhat impromptu track day in a street car. Those don't always go together.

But I wasn't bummed to drive home in my 991.2 last night, and would still choose it. I prefer it for personal reasons rather than objective ones. And, if it proves as reliable as my GT4 was, it may just be a longterm keeper. I love its mix of simplicity (aesthetically and—comparatively—technologically). As a stop on the 911 continuum, it's one of my favorites—particularly as a "do everything" 911. The 992 has yet to earn that accolade from me, as you don't learn that in a day...
Makes sense. I look forward to the 992 arrival at PCNA Atlanta. I fully intend to use it as an excuse to thrash it on their ‘track’ (as short as it is). It’s a much better way to test drive a car, than a dealership drive. No matter the level of hoon in the SA.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: First Drive in 992