Sponsored by:

992 Sport Design Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 06:15 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by MFC993
With that being said, the US spec rear Sport Design bumper with its license plate flanking bumper-ettes is a war crime. You’re not getting what you see in the configurator.
wait, what? can you link a photo? i didn't know this.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:42 PM
M3AN ONE
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me or is it that that sports design bumper looks like a e46 m3 bumper upside down
Old 07-29-2020, 12:04 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,381 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by M3AN ONE
Is it just me or is it that that sports design bumper looks like a e46 m3 bumper upside down
Technically just a reiteration of the .2 TTS

Old 11-02-2020, 09:20 PM
Vondon Davis
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings...
I am new to the Forum.. What color is the car in the picture?
Old 11-05-2020, 07:10 PM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm beating a dead horse, but I have seen someone else bumped this thread so I thought I'd share my two cents.

The sport package on these cars, especially the front are targeted towards people who don't like change. Porsche provides an option to make your car look similar to the old models. I think people need to move on and go with the times. The front especially. If you change it to reflect the older generation, you also lose the active areo they developed for the 992. You are basically paying Porsche to make the new car look vintage and give up your new features. It's a shame in my opinion.

As for the rear. Well, I'm 50/50. I don't think it's worth it.

The big ****. I think it's not needed on a 911 C2S. The car is supposed to be a clean daily driver. Leave the ***** for the GT cars.

Sideskirts, also 50/50 on. I don't mind the standard black, plus one less thing to worry about with rock chips.

Again, this is just my two cents. I love the fact you can customize our cars where almost all our 911 aren't one of the same.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:13 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by ChalkThe911
I'm beating a dead horse, but I have seen someone else bumped this thread so I thought I'd share my two cents.

The sport package on these cars, especially the front are targeted towards people who don't like change. Porsche provides an option to make your car look similar to the old models. I think people need to move on and go with the times. The front especially. If you change it to reflect the older generation, you also lose the active areo they developed for the 992. You are basically paying Porsche to make the new car look vintage and give up your new features. It's a shame in my opinion.

As for the rear. Well, I'm 50/50. I don't think it's worth it.

The big ****. I think it's not needed on a 911 C2S. The car is supposed to be a clean daily driver. Leave the ***** for the GT cars.

Sideskirts, also 50/50 on. I don't mind the standard black, plus one less thing to worry about with rock chips.

Again, this is just my two cents. I love the fact you can customize our cars where almost all our 911 aren't one of the same.
The rear end of a 992 is really well designed, great modern interpretation of the classic design. Love it.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:56 AM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
The rear end of a 992 is really well designed, great modern interpretation of the classic design. Love it.
I prefer it as well..
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (11-06-2020)
Old 03-08-2021, 12:05 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm torn on the full SD kit. I prefer the sport front, but it does seem a bit of a shame to give up the additional aero features and modern look. To sped SD front is like a steps backwards. But sometimes a step forward isn't a step in the right direction (e.g., "fried egg" headlights). How will the 992 front stand the test of time?

The SD rear license plate mount not being customized for US market really is a ridiculous. I slightly prefer the SD rear for European cars, but with a US plate, it just looks lazy, especially given it's a $1600 add-on.

I can't decide if I like the SD side skirts without the rest of the SD pack. I haven't seen in person yet, but in the configurator it sort of makes the sides of the car seem lower than the front/rear which seems odd.

In the end, I'll probably keep the standard exterior (which also allows me to drop the FAL) and spec extended interior leather interior and Burmester instead. Hard just justify an extra $5K if I'm on the fence about the option in the first place. Not to mention, some people don't like the SD pack, so ability to recoup this on resale is more dubious. While some might not be willing to pay extra for more leather or Burm, I don't think anyone would discount the value of the car if it were included (like the might for the SD kit).
Dan Nagy (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 01:03 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,381 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
I'm torn on the full SD kit. I prefer the sport front, but it does seem a bit of a shame to give up the additional aero features and modern look. To sped SD front is like a steps backwards. But sometimes a step forward isn't a step in the right direction (e.g., "fried egg" headlights). How will the 992 front stand the test of time?

The SD rear license plate mount not being customized for US market really is a ridiculous. I slightly prefer the SD rear for European cars, but with a US plate, it just looks lazy, especially given it's a $1600 add-on.

I can't decide if I like the SD side skirts without the rest of the SD pack. I haven't seen in person yet, but in the configurator it sort of makes the sides of the car seem lower than the front/rear which seems odd.

In the end, I'll probably keep the standard exterior (which also allows me to drop the FAL) and spec extended interior leather interior and Burmester instead. Hard just justify an extra $5K if I'm on the fence about the option in the first place. Not to mention, some people don't like the SD pack, so ability to recoup this on resale is more dubious. While some might not be willing to pay extra for more leather or Burm, I don't think anyone would discount the value of the car if it were included (like the might for the SD kit).
In my case - I preferred the SD front as well. Nothing against the standard styling; as it still looks incredible in the metal. I just couldn’t get used to the wide opening.

In regards to the SD rear - same POV - I was not a fan of the bumperette plate holder for US cars. Which unfortunately plagues not just the SD design - but all TT/S & future GT cars 🤦🏼‍♂️

So I ended up with a mix of 992+991.2 TTS on the front & standard 992 on the rear.

My favorite part of the 992 gen is the rear design in general. I always wanted the full length light bar AND wide body that was only offered on the 4S/GTS of last gen. However - I prefer RWD. So this has worked out perfectly for me.

I opted for SD side skirts for the function rather than form. They work to mitigate the amount of debris that kicks up towards the rear quarter panels.

All that said - I was never on the fence about the SD front & side skirts like you are. I was all in when it became available...

So if you’re at all on the fence - I definitely agree that you should forego the $5k expense & get the standard design.

The following 2 users liked this post by smiles11:
Boulder Mike (03-09-2021), rockrdude (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 01:05 PM
por356
Racer

Received 382 Likes on 149 Posts

Added SD front, back and side skirts and deleted model designation on the back as well. I think the darker colors work best with SD, and deleting the model logo cleaned up the rear IMHO.
Boulder Mike (03-09-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 01:16 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,820 Likes on 951 Posts

I don't care for the plate in the rear bumper and so would not opt for the SD full or the Aerokit for that reason. However, having spec'd a Gentian Blue I feel that the non-SD front looks fine on darker colors and the SD front facia benefits the lighter colors better. So I left it off.
The following 4 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
510michael (03-08-2021), Boulder Mike (03-09-2021), Dan Nagy (03-08-2021), smiles11 (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 05:34 PM
510michael
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I don't care for the plate in the rear bumper and so would not opt for the SD full or the Aerokit for that reason. However, having spec'd a Gentian Blue I feel that the non-SD front looks fine on darker colors and the SD front facia benefits the lighter colors better. So I left it off.
I agree. They all look great, but the new front looks best on black to me. But it's such a beautiful car that all the configurations look gorgeous.

Quick Reply: 992 Sport Design Package