Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call me crazy: Black 7 Speed
Old 01-03-2019, 09:35 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Tuite
Crazy indeed, it.looks like a car you win in an raffle that advertises in the back of Autoweek and that no one wants. And if they win they take the cash instead.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:43 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Tuite
If you want to change your username, I think you need to ask a Moderator.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:18 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I think the one option I would want would be the leather luggage set for $6263...

Old 01-03-2019, 11:48 PM
Tommy Tuite
Instructor

Originally Posted by Benedict14

If you want to change your username, I think you need to ask a Moderator.

Haha!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:54 PM
Tommy Tuite
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Crazy indeed, it.looks like a car you win in an raffle that advertises in the back of Autoweek and that no one wants. And if they win they take the cash instead.
True! Or that one next to the wheel in Wheel of Fortune!
My theory would be get in at 92k, and enjoy every last non sport seat mile of it until the next version arrives. This base speced 911 may look pretty appealing to a potential second owner. At least, I've always appreciated base models.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:51 AM
smokeman
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
As crazy as it sounds, you do have a fairly tight budget for one of these cars if it has to be brand new.

Personally, I would not buy a new car if this was the budget I had to work with. I would wait 12-18 months and grab a CPO car for a good discount off sticker. You will likely get far more options than you could have afforded new and at a decent discount off MSRP. If you don't have a 911 in the garage right now, I would pick up a CPO 991 and trade it in next year when you buy your 992. You will lose far less on a CPO 991 over the next 12-18 months than you will lose on a brand new 992.

Paying MSRP for a Carrera seems crazy to me. I have yet to order a car from Porsche directly. My 991 Carrera S was CPO (88k w/ orig MSRP of 138k) and my 991 GT3 was CPO (135k w/ orig MSRP of 174k). And I could have afforded MSRP on both of those cars. But part of the ownership experience for myself is feeling like I got a good deal. However, the GT3 is probably the first car I actually wouldn't mind over paying for so I will most likely pay MSRP + ADM for my next GT3...

But if a big part of the ownership experience for you is to go through the ordering process, the waiting process, the delivery process and the break-in process, then by all means go for it. There are many who enjoy this process and it's a big part of the experience for them.
as everyone says, different strokes. i'm just about to put my order in for one of the last 991.2s, and i'm thrilled to do it. comes in at $128K. i could go higher, but i don't want to. and i'm not the kinda guy who already has plans to get rid of the car in x years; when i buy a car, i drive it until it dies. i've wanted one of these for 45 years, and now that i'm about to get one, i ain't givin' it to anybody. so the idea of having it built from the ground up exactly the way i want it is really appealing to me
Old 01-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeman
as everyone says, different strokes. i'm just about to put my order in for one of the last 991.2s, and i'm thrilled to do it. comes in at $128K. i could go higher, but i don't want to. and i'm not the kinda guy who already has plans to get rid of the car in x years; when i buy a car, i drive it until it dies. i've wanted one of these for 45 years, and now that i'm about to get one, i ain't givin' it to anybody. so the idea of having it built from the ground up exactly the way i want it is really appealing to me
You should go over your build with a fine tooth comb then since you want to make sure you are buildiing it exactly the way you want it and not settling for the way it is. If there is an option you debated you should get it.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:52 AM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

smokeman, whatever you decide regarding your 991.2, were I you I wouldn't wait much longer before ordering it. I made that mistake WRT the last of the six-cylinder Boxster S's. I placed my order -- nothing out of the ordinary in the way of options, although I insisted upon a manual transmission -- and I got a very nice letter from Porsche USA congratulating me on my order, estimating the production date, etc., only to have Porsche AG cancel my order with no explanation six weeks later. I was not a happy guy. I remain convinced that Porsche AG did it to force me to choose a turbocharged Boxster, which I didn't want and never bought. (And, yes, here I am, three years later still pissing and moaning about it.) In any case, my point is I wouldn't wait too long before get your order in if you are bound and determined to own a new 991.2 rather than a 992.

Last edited by Mechanic; 01-08-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:36 PM
MacAna
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OHWHATDA
I’d be 98% happy with the following build which is just under 15K in options:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PLM5KVZ1

But I’d definitely just be using it as a DD and no plans to track it which means I wouldn’t really benefit from most performance features which saves a ton of money.
You guys are really lucky, that same spec here works out closer to $145k - but the spec is very good, I'd swap the PSE for Sport Chrono personally.

Quick Reply: Priced out a 2020 Carrera S and yowwwwwie