Sponsored by:

Most Absurd Logic: Someone talk to Porsche about this

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 05:24 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Or just turn off the engine, let park and the e-brake engage automatically, grab your fast food, and attempt to extract your fat *** from the car...
Originally Posted by basic666
Let park? How do i "let park" in this without pressing one of the two P buttons?
Have you driven any vehicles with these electronic shifters? They automatically engage park...and some/most can be programmed to set the e-brake, too...when you turn off the engine. I haven't driven a 992 to say definitively, but if it's anything like my Range Rover, X5 before it, and numerous other cars I've owned/driven in the last decade, there is no need to push the two 'P' buttons unless you are immobilizing the car while leaving the engine running.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:43 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SAN997
You hit the nail on the head. Companies don't design products for the stagnant US market anymore, where prime buyers (millennials) are too squeezed by student loans and housing costs. If you want to know why the car is so seemingly illogically designed, it is because it was designed to appeal to the asian market. None of the executives and marketing people at Porsche care what you people in the USA think about the car.
Ahhhsooo. The cup holder isn’t for a Big Gulp. It’s for a noodle bowl, and a place to hide the second child ?

Cunning design !
Old 11-30-2018, 05:50 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
This is the most hysterical thread I have read. Park brakes are triggered by pulling up. And who the **** drinks coffee in a 911. Is this the car you drive to the McDonald's for a sausage McMuffin and a cup of Joe?

The only way to accidentally trigger the parking brake is if the elderly gentleman were to be fondling his coffee cup to keep his bony hands warm. Then perchance his cuff links might catch on the park brake button and lift it enough to put it into emergency park brake mode.

Seriously if this happens to you, you're too old to be driving.

For the rest of us this is a much more convenient location for a park brake. It's easier to reach. And also BMW and Audi both put their park brake buttons in the exact same position.

I do agree it would have been much smarter to put the P button on the shifter. That is bad design as is the entire shifter/shaver concept. But it's a minor thing compared with how much is improved.
Yes, I DD my TTS, so it sees Costco, Petco, Home Depot, McDonald, etc. you name it
While driving, my not so bony hands sometimes are cold sweaty (at least palms are ). And I do not mind using the shaver, assuming it works. My problem is they put it in awkward place for me to lean down and reach it while shaving. You might guess I have an aging back with disk issues
Old 11-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crester
No... it's just a toggle to switch between reverse, neutral and drive. Plus it's too small to use as a shift lever.
Not if you delicately, yet vigorously, use your thumb and forefinger. Moving your finger and thumb with lightning speed. Think of it like using a Madeleine cookie, made of black plastic to win Le Mans.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:27 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,515 Likes on 570 Posts

That wouldn't be a problem if the paddles were fixed to the steering column like a proper sports car... but you know...... sigh...
Not too sure I'd prefer that. Have driven my share of cars that had these and for most cases of track driving it's far more difficult to shift as you need to take your hand off the wheel to find the paddle. In fast revving cars like the Huracan Performante especially I regularly banged into the limiter before I found the paddle. Porsche's solution was better before they gimped it.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:07 AM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread is cracking me up. The concept is not that hard if you've driven or explored the latest Panamera.
My current 991.2 PDK; pull in the garage, move the PDK shifter to "P" for Park. Get out of car and that's it.
992 PDK (if I get one); pull in the garage, press "P" for park. Get out of car and that's it. Just like the Panamera.
There is no need for the electric hand brake unless you're on a hill or other scenario in which case you feel the need to have that extra security.
Obviously, this is different for manual cars:-)
Old 12-01-2018, 11:36 AM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Not too sure I'd prefer that. Have driven my share of cars that had these and for most cases of track driving it's far more difficult to shift as you need to take your hand off the wheel to find the paddle. In fast revving cars like the Huracan Performante especially I regularly banged into the limiter before I found the paddle. Porsche's solution was better before they gimped it.
When done properly you don't need to take your hand off the steering wheel for fixed paddles. They should be long enough that you can pull on them even when the steering wheel is turned.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:31 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,515 Likes on 570 Posts

When done properly you don't need to take your hand off the steering wheel for fixed paddles. They should be long enough that you can pull on them even when the steering wheel is turned.
Well even if they made them cover 180 degrees on each side of the steering wheel (which nobody has ever implemented) you are still out of luck as soon as you turn the wheel more than a quarter or a turn. Which is a frequent sitution when you press on in a track environment.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:51 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 217 Posts

Use the PDK stick all the time for all the above stated reasons,....and NEVER drive in automatic (don't see the friggin point). I have a feeling that many drivers that don't use the stick are actually those that do drive in auto a lot,....and just use the paddles occasionally. In fact I don't see how anyone can really drive these cars in a true sporting nature without the stick,...coming out of a decent turn I don't want to reach awkwardly for a paddle,....when the stick is right there to bang it into the next gear. (one of the reasons I also still love the "thumbers" in my GTS,....they are always right there,...never move)
Old 12-01-2018, 04:06 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Use the PDK stick all the time for all the above stated reasons,....and NEVER drive in automatic (don't see the friggin point). I have a feeling that many drivers that don't use the stick are actually those that do drive in auto a lot,....and just use the paddles occasionally. In fact I don't see how anyone can really drive these cars in a true sporting nature without the stick,...coming out of a decent turn I don't want to reach awkwardly for a paddle,....when the stick is right there to bang it into the next gear. (one of the reasons I also still love the "thumbers" in my GTS,....they are always right there,...never move)
I am assuming from this discussion that the PDK stick in any 991.n is pull back to upshift and push forward to downshift ?
They f***ed that up in my '17 Macan GTS, it's still push up to upshift. THAT is why when I put it in manual mode I use the paddles,but if it pulled back upshifted I would probably use the stick more. I think it's a travesty that they aren't giving buyers the option of stick or paddles, but rather a fugly razor nub.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:57 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Where are the paddle shifters on a F1 car ? Where are the paddle shifters on a Ferrari F1 car ? Any high performance vehicle, be it wheeled or winged, has the essential controls in a position that doesn’t require movement of the hands from the primary method of guidance. ie. stick, wheel, side stick, thrust lever.

The end.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:43 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Cautery
The “most absurd logic please someone talk to Porsche!!1!1!!” is how the original and beauty 3rd stop light turned from how it was intended in the project

turned to this ****

😡😡😡😡

Epic fail on the 3rd brake light.

I have NO idea why this has suddenly become the source of a prominent design feature.

Why is it not simply hidden in between the engine cover slats with either a clear or smoked lens???
Old 12-02-2018, 03:26 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by OHWHATDA
Rich old men having nervous break downs over car shifters. Do we need more posts about this? If you're not a fan of the 992, the 991.2 is still for sale, and those forums are that way.
And brake lights, cup holders, liner materials and other relatively insignificant things. This thread and some of the others sound like an old hen circle!

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
This is the most hysterical thread I have read. Park brakes are triggered by pulling up. And who the **** drinks coffee in a 911. Is this the car you drive to the McDonald's for a sausage McMuffin and a cup of Joe?

I do agree it would have been much smarter to put the P button on the shifter. That is bad design as is the entire shifter/shaver concept. But it's a minor thing compared with how much is improved.
For some, including me when I get my 911, it'll be a DD. So having a beverage (I take my caffeine cold and fizzy) is part of the normal driving day. Or on long road trips.

I'm not worried about the parking brake location. I agree there are/were other places to locate it that would be better; it's just an electric switch, after all. Personally, I liked where it was on my Boxster, on the left kick panel, where a proper parking brake belongs (unless it's a true hand brake).

Originally Posted by natman316
hey of all the features that everyone says was designed with China in mind, the big gulp cupholder/big mac holder is surely targeted for the USA market. No one else has take out drinks that big
Originally Posted by chance6
The whole reason they went to the 3.0 liter engine was for the Chinese market. Now the center console nubbin clearly is for the Chinese market. ha ha Hmmm...but they hold the reveal in Los Angeles.

The door sills are tacky with the label...liked the old one better. Need to improve that.

FIX THE NUBBIN - I shift with my PDK lever all the time in my Turbo.
China, China, China... all ills are China's fault. I doubt that. Easy scapegoat for stuff you don't like and/or bad style decisions, but it's not all because of the China market.

Originally Posted by basic666
Let park? How do i "let park" in this without pressing one of the two P buttons?

My thing is if they are gonna take out the shifter they might as well have gone all the way and taken the whole thing out, and give some space back in the center column area like mercedes. But i guess they were also constrained by the need to leave space there for the manual cars.

compromising the design to encompass two very distinct use cases, the single best way to sacrifice quality
Two P buttons? Where's the second one? I only see one.

I agree it does seem that the design of that center console kept the MT configuration in mind.

As redroute's render shows, they could have put the parking brake switch closer to the nubbin, but he's also right that it wouldn't fit well with the future MT, so had to be somewhere else.

Originally Posted by Cautery
The “most absurd logic please someone talk to Porsche!!1!1!!” is how the original and beauty 3rd stop light turned from how it was intended in the project

turned to this ****

😡😡😡😡
Second dead horse. Or maybe first. Not sure which horse is more bludgeoned... the nubbin or the brake light. They are what they are; stop whining about them! Don't buy it if it's that abhorrent to you. Simple.

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Another funny and frequent whine I've seen here. Everyone wished for the paddle shifters - you know, to be like real race cars... er, because they look better. Functionally, though, the older push-pull switches in the pre-paddle wheels are far, far more functional. No matter which way your wheel is turned, you know which direction to push or pull to get the gear you want, 99% of the time without having to take your hands off the wheel. OK, maybe the function could have been reversed, but we're all smart folks here and can certainly learn how they work. Seemed pretty logical to me, though: push to go faster, pull to go slower. Forward=go forward faster; Back=slow the forward progress. Simple. And it worked the same on both switches! Our '14 CD has them while the 15 has the paddles. And by Boxster S had them. I agree, the paddles look better but the wheel switches WORK better.

Be careful what you wish for....

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
If you "don't see the friggin point", why didn't you get a manual? What's the point of paying extra for something that works better and faster than you ever will and then killing that functionality so you can get the feeling that you're shifting? Sure, now and then, great. But since you NEVER drive in automatic, why spend the money?

Some would argue that you can't drive these cars in a true sporting nature with an automatic. And yes, even in the M mode, it's an automatic. Coming out of a descent turn, you should be in Sport or Sport+ and let the thing shift for you; you'll get better performance and better lap times.

Even with the "thumbers" (and I agree, they are always right there; see above), I keep coming back to the question of why you would spend an extra $3 grand+ for something and then disable it?? And make yourself slower.

Last edited by skiahh; 12-02-2018 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:33 AM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

That wouldn't be a problem if the paddles were fixed to the steering column like a proper sports car... but you know...... sigh...
Racing cars have the paddles fixed to the wheel, and to me that’s the reference for a “proper sports car”. I can’t really imagine how one can be in a situation where the car is in the middle of a turn, having to shift gears, and the hands are not placed properly. Downshifting happens before turn-in, especially if the turn is tight, and upshifting is done while straightening the wheel.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:10 AM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skiahh
For some, including me when I get my 911, it'll ........ etc. etc. etc.
Mmm. Fascinating. ​I enjoyed the part about your “CD”. Gave me chills. I assume that’s some form of truck ? That was an extremely long and opinionated post from someone who’s never owned a 911, and has a garage full of SUVs.

🙄

Quick Reply: Most Absurd Logic: Someone talk to Porsche about this