Sponsored by:

Manual Trans - Cost & Specs

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 04:22 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by An Miles
R&T says "The manual will be a no-cost option and it's bundled with the Sport Chrono package":
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...specs-details/

Does that mean we get SC for free on manuals or to add insult to injury we have to pay extra for SC just to get stick (and be forced to use auto rev-matching)?
Originally Posted by AHnNC
Nothing is free, especially at Porsche. Any cost will be built into the price if not listed individually.
No, that's how they'll justify no discount for getting the manual.

But for manual, I don't see the value in SC, really. Rev-matching, the timer and a clock.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:34 AM
AHnNC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skiahh

But for manual, I don't see the value in SC, really. Rev-matching, the timer and a clock.
The base price is built around the PDK being the standard transmission.
I didn't realize Porsche gave you a credit for deleted or down graded options from the base car.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:29 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh

You forgot....
Dynamic engine mounts
G-Force meter
Relaxes point at which PSM engages
Better throttle response
Upshifter indicators
Sports screen on PCM for for tracking (compares laps etc)
Ability to download perfomrance data to USB for later analysis

I'm sure I missed a few. I have two Porsches - both manual and SC. Love them! I wouldn't option a car any other way.

They should have made rev matching selectable. I prefer it all the time but can't select it in Normal mode. Others prefer to select it off in sport/sport + mode. This was a miss by Porsche.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:04 AM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cetro
I live in LA and I drive my manual 911 daily. Never ever get annoyed, even if I'm sitting in traffic.
Trying drive the Hollywood hills everyday. Doesnt matter how good you are. You will roll back every now and then. And people will honk at you at light if you dont shift to 1st gear from stop fast enough.

I wouldnt even venture to 405 or any major freeways during rush hours. There's no joy in shifting a hundred times over 10 miles. Doesnt matter how good transmission is.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:07 AM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I doubt manuals can even be driven on daily basis. You eventually get really tired of shifting in stop and go traffic, especially after you just had a long work day.

I had a manual bmw and most of time, it was just a torture.

I find it amusing that general trend is moving towards autonomous driving and some people are still clinging on to manual
Old 12-02-2018, 11:16 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 572 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
I doubt manuals can even be driven on daily basis. You eventually get really tired of shifting in stop and go traffic, especially after you just had a long work day.
I guess this is a matter of personal preference. I drive a manual every day and love it. Regarding self driving cars, it's interesting to note that at least several airliner crashes, most recently the one in Indonesia, seem to have been caused by the planes' "self flying" computers running amok.

God bless,
TT
Old 12-02-2018, 11:26 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
I guess this is a matter of personal preference. I drive a manual every day and love it. Regarding self driving cars, it's interesting to note that at least several airliner crashes, most recently the one in Indonesia, seem to have been caused by the planes' "self flying" computers running amok.

God bless,
TT
Personal preference often means, I guess, people who never learned to drive a MT car. Default becomes “PDK is like the awesomest thingie, like and you are such a loser if you don’t “get” it.”
Old 12-02-2018, 04:52 PM
volksjaeger
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I find it amusing that general trend is moving towards autonomous driving and some people are still clinging on to manual
If you do the opposite of what the brain dead general public does you are going to have great success in life. So yeah... I'll be clinging onto my manual along with my guns and real estate and all the other things the hoi polloi public is conditioned to shun.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:31 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

If you have enough MT time (and for me it is 2 decades or more ) you would not notice driving it daily even in heavy traffic or hills. Actually, when not driving enthusiastically, you would not even remember how you were getting from pt.A to pt.B. The shifts happen "on their own". What is tiring? But, nothings make your car more enjoyable IMO than a clear twisty road and a MT.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:46 PM
CloudJumping
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in LA and I drive my manual 911 daily. Never ever get annoyed, even if I'm sitting in traffic.
Yeah me too. It's the traffic that's annoying, definitely not the car
Old 12-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Bolo
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Newby…
I have been driving manuals for the last 25 years. In the last few years there have been times that the traffic has been so bad every day that rowing the gears became frustrating. Maybe just age. That said, I would NOT buy a 911 with anything other than a manual.

BTW, My dealer tells me 992 manuals won’t show up in the US (California) until August or September. Seems far away. Have you all heard the same?

Old 12-02-2018, 07:03 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I'll drive manuals until they stop making them or my left leg stops working. Compared to our 997, the clutch pedal in the 991 needs much less pressure, so it's easier on the leg in traffic. That being said, I went to a Porsche track day a couple of months ago and drove some PDK 911s and Caymans for the first time. It wasn't a bad experience.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:30 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Trying drive the Hollywood hills everyday. Doesnt matter how good you are. You will roll back every now and then. And people will honk at you at light if you dont shift to 1st gear from stop fast enough.

I wouldnt even venture to 405 or any major freeways during rush hours. There's no joy in shifting a hundred times over 10 miles. Doesnt matter how good transmission is.

Soon, you'll be saying I doubt you can even drive manual steering every day. Turning that wheel a hundred times over 10 miles is so exhausting and not fun. Doesn't matter how good the steering is. I used to have to steer manually and it was just torture.

I haven't rolled back in decades. Sure, I suppose can happen, but it's been a long, long time. And these cars all have hill hold, now anyway, so no rolling back.

I can recall heavy traffic where I've said "it'd be nice to have an automatic right now" but I don't think traffic has caused me to say I'd rather have the auto.

I got the PDK in my Boxster. I enjoyed it and wouldn't pass on a vehicle because of a PDK, but my preference going forward will be for the MT.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:20 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

It amazes me how many ppl are asking for manual. I guess none of you live in LA.
Its a sports car, what do you expect?

also, I live in a highly congested area and hate driving my 991 in traffic. So I don’t. It stays home during the week.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:57 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to do the same. Just cause one lives in LA doesn't mean he has to be crazy to drive a manual. Some of the best canyon roads are in LA.

Quick Reply: Manual Trans - Cost & Specs