Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 09:41 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
The more I see of the 992 the more I like it. The blacked out lower front and rear facias seem to pick up "body cut away" look of current GT3 race cars. The new front flares cover a wider track and standard wider rear flares wider standard wheels and tires. Beyond the marketing aspect, I can see the all sorts of good reasons for a single readily modified panel there.

I am not a big fan of the corporate narrower tail lights. By comparison to the 991, It seems forced "moderne" and getting to be pretty commonplace, from Aston's latest to Lincoln SUVs. The "light bar" between the lights has been used for about for about 40 years on one 911 or another, so I get the reference. It would not stop me from buying one but it also doesn't attract me. Maybe that will change when I actually see the car in person.

Still the performance improvements will have to be substantial to pry me out of my 991.1 C2S. That has nothing to do with the gibberish about corporate direction that abounds here. It is just that the 991 is just so damn right for me- the best by far of the P-cars I've owned since 1973.
I agree. Nobody likes change but the 992 just rocks. I love the back end. The 991.2 was already a big leap in performance over the 991 so I suspect the 992 base is going to feel like a rocket compared to your 991.1S. Not that your car is bad at all.....it is awesome too.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:06 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Old 11-28-2018, 11:21 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 419 Posts

I am loving it. 992 is generous and interior is flawless
Old 11-28-2018, 12:09 PM
emix75
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Love the new and interesting interior colors. Agave green and island green. Curious to see island green, on the configurator it looks like a really nice pale olive shade. ALso curious about the new gentian blue exterior color. It seems the old sapphire blue has been replaced.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:12 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Watched the unveiling last night ...

I know it'll be faster and will handle better .... the moisture sensor IS clever ...

Overall they seem to be trying to stylistically make the car look more exciting/modern so they can keep up with the competition but are shackled by the constraints of keeping the "911 look".

Front end (aka Fried Egg 2.0) looks like the bumper got sheared off and the insides are exposed. Doesn't look clean at all.... but to be expected given Cayman and new Panamera design ... total fail in the beauty department.

Back end looks overall looks good,
- I like the new standard light bar.
Back windows looks good expect from some angles it looks more bulbous than before reminds me of 1 gen panamera....

And the ugliest rear part - is the weird "H" shaped rear red light that's half in the grille, half on the body
- would have been better to have made two or three of the entire rear slats a red led light.

The interior steering wheel looks better - but they cant let go of the fake bolt pattern.

The dash looks more physically and visually chopped up, instead of current waterfall design.

hats with little tiny braun shaver they're using for a shifter. it should be 2x larger.

wheels look a little too big imo... reminds my of something from Pimp my Ride.

Bottom line I'm glad I got my Carrera T
Old 11-28-2018, 12:17 PM
Phil~
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad they are bringing back the light bar. It looks like a proper 911 now.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:29 PM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Love the colour selection, playing with it a bit on the configurator (DE) warmed me to the 992, wasn't completely sold on it at first. Also the interior does look good to me. It harks back to classic 911 more than the 991 did, especially is you add the wood trim.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:37 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I like the wide body and more so the engine output progression, but this is about it. While driving 997 I was looking at 991 with lots of positives, so that transition was a happy one for me. Does not feel this way for 991 to 992 now.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:41 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Now that I've seen it, I like it.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:20 PM
toppestofkeks
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
.....and every time Porsche is made to do something,....whether it be for emissions, a limit on displacement, etc.,....some things are always lost in the transition. Yes, the replacement cars often produce better "numbers" in most areas, but always leave some things behind that were very dear to previous generations. Think 993 to 996, 991.1 to 991.2, even 944 Turbo S to 944 S2 & 968, and some others.

The bulk of new buyers to the Porsche brand (those even still looking at the sports cars) have never experienced some of the previous generations unique characteristics nor do they really care about them. All that matters is that the new car seems to be faster compared to the out-going model so it must be "better",.....it doesn't seem to matter that a 718 turbo motor really sounds horrible and has lag compared to the last flat six,....it's a few ticks faster so of course it's better. Just compare a top down drive in a 718 Boxter to that of the previous flat six GTS,....in reality there is no comparison, I can't see how someone would even want to listen to the turbo 4 for long. Porsche would still be using a flat-six today with way better sales if not for the changes that so called "had" to be made.

Will the 992 produce better numbers all the way around,....definitely!, but IMO this will be one of those generations that leaves a lot behind (shifter, analog gauges, connected exhausts, 911 original design characteristics, actual exhaust/intake sounds over fake, quality over cost cutting). I'm sure it will sell, and sell well in the beginning. There are new generations coming up that grew up on smaller turbo motors, hybrids, latest tech = kwel, and on,.....many will not even have a clue or care about previous generations of sports car characteristics,....it just will not, does not register. It will keep going until the full electric version of the 911 is announced and then pretty much all but the speed aspect will be gone, and by then it really won't matter as I'm not sure many sports cars will remain,....and the average Toyota will be just as fast as a 911. All the soul that made a sports car a magnet to me (especially a 911), is just slowly being winnowed away. Times change,....what once appealed to many, will change in the future....
As someone who owns a 718 I can't really agree with any of the arguments you made. The sound is just fine(especially in the cabin) albeit different from the 6cyl. I am not noticing any turbo lag in the S version. In my opinion 718 => 981 is not at all a parallel with the 992 succeeding the 991.2. The 992 has multiple questionable elements changed, such as the shifter and the 3rd brake light, whereas the 718 was an improvement in every possible way other than it singing a different tune, which is totally fine by me anyways.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:05 PM
natman316
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

one thing I love that I havent really seen discussed is that it has no nipples!! (headlamp washers).
Old 11-28-2018, 10:07 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by natman316
one thing I love that I havent really seen discussed is that it has no nipples!! (headlamp washers).
Now that is a good thing,....on a car that is....
Old 11-28-2018, 11:24 PM
GT3007
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Interior lost its sport car appeal....do not like the wide screen ...keep it for sedans or suvs ...... the USB stick looking shifter is horrible.

Do not like the cup holder...while the old cup holder were not the best design...at least they were hidden...I don’t need to acc9mate a big gulp drink in a 911..!

Really glad my 991.2 GT3 is coming in December ...even the small performance improvements they will make to a 992 GT3 will not make up how ugly. Think the new interior is....

Old 11-29-2018, 04:21 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the longer, notched hood. The whole front of the car continues to grow on me.

The rear looks... off. I could see it being vastly improved with an aftermarket or OEM Turbo ducktail.

I just hope the driving experience has been improved, and not muted; shifter adjustments, power steering improvements, and the like.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:13 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts

Now that I have seen it........Car is not distinctive enough for a new model...........just a refresh..........disappointed in rear end and interior i.e. Braun shifter and the overall design flow or lack thereof - choppy..............Porsche design is going mainstream to lure more new buyers...........for more of a VW sales approach......all models linked in with tail light design treatment, so 911 not a standout any longer......

Quick Reply: Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread