Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread

Old 10-24-2018, 10:54 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread

We are now just weeks before the official unveiling of the 992 and from the spy photos / renderings and articles posted I think we all have a really good idea of what to expect.

It's been made abundantly clear from these other threads that some of us are NOT happy with this 992 redesign.

I'll even say that I personally think the 992 is the laziest model redesign in 911 history and I can't think of a single aspect of this redesign that brings ANY real improvement to the outgoing model. Quite the opposite in fact.

The incremental and likely imperceptible increases in performance in the 992 are not going to balance out the exterior and interior changes that serve no purpose other than to further meld this former special, standalone sports car with Porsche's SUV's / CUV's and luxobarge sedan lineup.

To quote The Dude from the Big Lebowski : " yea well, you know, that's just like uhhh , your opinion man " I get that my opinion may be based on a number of objective and subjective factors and perhaps I , along with the other members who are disappointed, are missing something about this 992 that may give us reason to give it further consideration...

I'd really like to see the other viewpoints and learn why the 992 should be considered a worthy successor to the 991 generation.

So I'd like to start a NON BASHING and CONSTRUCTIVE thread for those who are excited and optimistic for the upcoming 992 to join us and tell us exactly what we are missing.

What physical aspects of the 992 redesign are better than the outgoing model and why?

Old 10-24-2018, 12:04 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Crickets. lol.

Okay, I'll bite. I like the hood crease homage, and the light bar on the back. (I don't like the '76 Corvette front bumper, and the loss of uniqueness in the rear end design. I also prefer a narrow body.)

I also generally like the interior from what I have seen. (I don't like the loss of real gauges or the oversize video screen. Lower vent and cup holder placement are a failure.)
Old 10-24-2018, 12:19 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Come on, everyone, find something to like! I'll try - here's a positive reaction to the interior:

There are some aspects of the interior that I think might work better. In the 991 I'm constantly having to look way, way down to find the front-axle lift button or the normal/sport suspension button - I have the dial on the steering wheel for sport modes, but without SC I think the 991 has the sport button down there, too. I can't tell for sure from the interior spy shots, but it looks like the buttons on the console near the cupholder (which I am looking forward to) are for the sunroof and seat heater - no big deal because I rarely use those. The row of horizontal buttons below the touchscreen look like a better place for the ones I'd be likely to push while the car is rolling. I'm hopeful that this will be a nice accessibility improvement. Oh, and those buttons look like real ones - not those smooth haptic feedback fingerprint magnets.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:10 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Come on, everyone, find something to like! I'll try - here's a positive reaction to the interior:

There are some aspects of the interior that I think might work better. In the 991 I'm constantly having to look way, way down to find the front-axle lift button or the normal/sport suspension button - I have the dial on the steering wheel for sport modes, but without SC I think the 991 has the sport button down there, too. I can't tell for sure from the interior spy shots, but it looks like the buttons on the console near the cupholder (which I am looking forward to) are for the sunroof and seat heater - no big deal because I rarely use those. The row of horizontal buttons below the touchscreen look like a better place for the ones I'd be likely to push while the car is rolling. I'm hopeful that this will be a nice accessibility improvement. Oh, and those buttons look like real ones - not those smooth haptic feedback fingerprint magnets.
You constantly are looking for the FAL button? Where the hell are you driving your car? LOL.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:15 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,168 Likes on 590 Posts

I think that a lot of the critics here will magically come around after the official unveiling. I for one am optimistic and excited. I ain't scared of the future
Old 10-24-2018, 03:10 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Well... I like the front mostly. The hood is awesome. I like the fenders and how the lights integrate.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:25 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I like the big *** center screen the most. Love the interior. Don't mind the new pdk shifter. I mind big cupholder though. Generally, this is where 911 should go. Leave crazy cars to Lotus and etc.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:28 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have no indication that the keyless entry and keyless go are any better, but I'd hope for that to improve based on the luxo interior.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by laranja
I have no indication that the keyless entry and keyless go are any better, but I'd hope for that to improve based on the luxo interior.
Better how? What's wrong with current system?

If you want to see what it's going to look like go to your dealer and check out a Panamera or Cayenne. The key slot now has a permanent plug that's about half the size of the current entry and go plug.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:25 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
You constantly are looking for the FAL button? Where the hell are you driving your car? LOL.
Okay, not constantly of course - but you should see the roads and driveway aprons and speed bumps around here. I use FAL multiple times a day. And I flip in and out of sport+ a lot too (I skip sport because the backfires are stupid and I have that setup as my in Individual mode) but don't need to run the sport suspension setting. Wow, I really do push these buttons way too much every day, now that I think about it.

The point is, since I'm a button pushing weirdo, the 992 looks like it might work better for me.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:09 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Okay, I'll bite as well. I like the fact that - from what I have read (for whatever that is worth, perhaps nothing) that agate grey is being discontinued as a non-PTS color for the 992. Hence, my agate grey 991 GTS will be kinda sorta, not really PTS as of the advent of the 992. How's that for a roundabout, backhanded compliment for the 992 lineage?
Old 10-25-2018, 08:53 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

#ragefree
Old 10-25-2018, 12:05 PM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Its going to be quicker, with a better ride, and IMO better looking. What's not to like.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:26 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm really looking for solid reasons why this 992 will be better.....

I'll throw in an example of what I was hoping to see regarding many aspects of the 992 that people are happy with.

Here it is:

I read somewhere that Porsche will offer a stand alone disabling feature on the 992 for the manual transmission auto rev matching function. I think this is a big improvement over the 991.2 because it did not have that feature as a stand alone and forced you to stay in non "sport" mode in order to leave the infuriating function off.

I hate auto rev matching in manual transmissions because it defeats the entire purpose and is one of the main reasons why I avoided purchasing the Carrera T. I'm glad that Porsche is going to be including a disabling feature in the 992 and view that as a step in the right direction.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:16 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 308 Likes on 183 Posts

Wider front track and standard wide rear track and improved weight distribution front to rear will mean better handling across the entire range.

The larger rear spoiler will mean better high speed handling and fuel economy and since the driver can't see what it looks like while driving I don't care what it looks like.

Porsche always leaves room in the power department to make the latest the greatest.

There is at least some chance that the new PCS will have a better interface. OK, I realize that is reaching cause it never seems to happen.

The 991.2 improvements over my 991.1 were obvious to me, but not sufficient for me to move on. The 991.2 GTS and the 991.2 T both came close due to the fine "feel" Porsche baked in. I am waiting to see if the 992 takes that further before reaching any conclusions. If it does I may get over my "find a 991.2 Turbo Turbo" fantasies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread