Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 02:22 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Read about the new 3....its the benchmark again. Everyone that has tested the 992 says its better than the 991.
Just like with the 992 reviews, who cares what some journalists are proclaiming about the new G20 3 series being the benchmark. "Better" is a VERY subjective term. Along with Porsche I have been a lifelong BMW 3 series fan and have owned every body style.

While the new G20 3 series may be an improvement in driving dynamics over the terrible F30 it replaced, JUST like the 992 it has taken a massive aesthetic step backwards in the eyes of many.

The G20 has horrid exterior design elements including a rear end taken directly off a Lexus and continues with the Japanese overblown styling inside with what is the worst interior I've ever seen in a 3 series. Aside from the BMW emblem on the steering wheel there is virtually nothing that separates the styling from an Asian rival except that the Asian cars have a better instrument cluster over that disgusting backwards digital disaster in the BMW.

Add in the fact that you have to buy a ridiculous overkill M performance version just to get the inline 6 cylinder and can no longer get a manual transmission and what your left with is another storied enthusiast car biting the dust at the hands of whatever the hell BMW and Porsche think they are doing well.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 604 Posts

^ Can't speak to G20 (I've stopped paying attention to BMW), but the F30 was…quite simply…one of the WORST cars I tested on the loop. It was an early one, with all the performance options and a manual gearbox. And the 3 was dead. And I do mean dead. Got out there, on some of the best driving roads in the world, and thought, "What I am doing out here in this thing? And I have miles to go…" Zero joy in the machine. Not much of a machine, either. No good sounds. Lifeless steering. The snap in the chassis, the well-judged dampers…gone. When I later drove an M3, it was in some ways even more disappointing. Talk about numb.

Everyone loves to point at the Bangle 7 as the beginning of the end, but for me it was the E60 5. Every single E39 that I tested felt special—even a 528i non-sport wagon—while precisely none of the E60s felt special. Ferrari's E60 was doing away with three pedals. Both brands are effectively dead to me when it comes to new cars. For me, anyway, their back stories are their only stories…
Old 01-29-2019, 02:42 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

The journalists say what needs to be said. What NEEDS to be said about the uber important ALL NEW 911? Good things. It's all about the $$$ and it's even political.. If you still can't see this in 2019 and you're of age to afford a 911... I'd say you're blind.

In general.... Newer is not always better. It's been proven in this thread before... Look at modern day cars and their predecessors. Look at Acura in the early 90's compared to now. From full leather premium interiors to cheap GM like plastic all around. Numb steering. Just scraps of metal slapped together and pumped for the masses.

Lastly.. I'm all about performance. I buy a 911 for performance. Almost nothing else.. If you buy a 911 and performance is not your primary reason, you're a poser. This is what the 992 is attracting.. Posers.

With that said. I bet you a 991.2 GTS would outperform the 992.1 on any given track.. I don't give a crap about anything inside the car or any of the tech. Which IMO the new tach is horrid.

What would you say about any car you had to review when the company spoils you and tucks you in at night at a 5 star hotel?

The real reviews are going to come when the independent youtube guys get their hands on the car. Not these fake news journalists who are getting a paid sneak peek.

I'm not saying the 992 sucks, but I am holding off completely until I drive one.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:52 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Can't speak to G20 (I've stopped paying attention to BMW), but the F30 was…quite simply…one of the WORST cars I tested on the loop. It was an early one, with all the performance options and a manual gearbox. And the 3 was dead. And I do mean dead. Got out there and thought, "What I am doing out here in this thing? And I have miles to go…" Zero joy in the machine. Not much of a machine, either. When I later drove an M3, it was in some ways even more disappointing.

Everyone loves to point at the Bangle 7 as the beginning of the end, but for me it was the E60 5. Every single E39 that I tested felt special—even a 528i non-sport wagon—while precisely none of the E60s felt special. Ferrari's E60 was doing away with three pedals. Both brands are effectively dead to me when it comes to new cars. For me, anyway, their back stories are their only stories…
I agree 110%. What did you think of the e90 3 series? For me, that was the end of the line before it all went down the drain with the F30... BMW has become a terrible tragedy in the eyes of an enthusiast and a cautionary tale of how far the mighty can fall. Now we are left with little blips of life in the M2 Competition but that's about it. Today, BMW is nothing more to me than the top choice on a list of anonymous driving appliances.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:10 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

It really boils down to management of the company. Sometimes, wrong guys are running leadership and company makes horrible decisions. I mean Microsoft was on that trajectory when Ballmer was running it, and activist investors etc all had to get involved to hire a guy who can turn around the company. Maybe same goes for VW. Maybe down the road, I just have to get enough shares of VW to get on the board, and shake things up (lol, I do work with stocks...lol). If the sales of 992 are low, Porsche will be forced to change direction but it will be a band-aid type fix again for the 992.2. Right now they have the time to fix some things but people who signed off on the current design are holding on to their views because of Ego, and probably want to prove that they are right to VW Management

I will test out the 992 when it comes stateside but watch me buy an additional 991 but always wanted these 997/993/964. All the cars fast now, I can not put good money behind something with stupid design flaws.

Again my thoughts, and this time I am 100% voting with my wallet.

PS - About BMW - they lost it completely and have the most confusing line up also, someone on this forum said it once "BMW is basically a leasing company, they just want people to lease". I do miss the good ole BMW, but entire product line is utter garbage to enthusiasts

I can put stock charts for both BMW and VW - and just show how bad it is. 100% laggard stocks....BMW stock has been lame since 2011
Old 01-29-2019, 03:53 PM
rcristobal
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Porsche figured out how to cover up the hideous rear end of the 992 on the .2...

Back To The Future Edition (include cutouts of Fox and Lloyd).

Instead of the 992 I went back to get a 991.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:32 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

The Speedster in the Instagram with the emissions testing rig on the back IS a 991, not a 992.

Surely the haters can do better.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:41 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Like F1, the tires are an integral part of the suspension. Formula E rides on bigger wheels. 21" are optional on 992 I believe.
You like Formula E don’t you ?
Old 01-29-2019, 04:50 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
The Speedster in the Instagram with the emissions testing rig on the back IS a 991, not a 992..
Im not a fan of the current iteration of the Speedster. I find it mishapen. Interestingly, the designer responsible for the Speedster rear hind quarters is the same gentleman that designed the 992 rear; including the third light and nubbin. He didn’t lead project nubbin, but had a turgid limb in the creation.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

The Speedster in the Instagram with the emissions testing rig on the back IS a 991, not a 992.

Nobody said it was a 992 ... We'll critique or chat about whatever here. 996, 997, 991, 992 ..

What is it with you attacking everyone as haters and trolls just because they don't agree with you? Not very cool. Geez, a few of you guys just keep spouting out the same old two words. Haters, trolls, haters, trolls, you'd think this is jr high school. Don't click the thread if you don't like it. Trust me, all the comments fuel me even more.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:21 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
It really boils down to management of the company. Sometimes, wrong guys are running leadership and company makes horrible decisions. I mean Microsoft was on that trajectory when Ballmer was running it, and activist investors etc all had to get involved to hire a guy who can turn around the company. Maybe same goes for VW. Maybe down the road, I just have to get enough shares of VW to get on the board, and shake things up (lol, I do work with stocks...lol). If the sales of 992 are low, Porsche will be forced to change direction but it will be a band-aid type fix again for the 992.2. Right now they have the time to fix some things but people who signed off on the current design are holding on to their views because of Ego, and probably want to prove that they are right to VW Management

I will test out the 992 when it comes stateside but watch me buy an additional 991 but always wanted these 997/993/964. All the cars fast now, I can not put good money behind something with stupid design flaws.

Again my thoughts, and this time I am 100% voting with my wallet.

PS - About BMW - they lost it completely and have the most confusing line up also, someone on this forum said it once "BMW is basically a leasing company, they just want people to lease". I do miss the good ole BMW, but entire product line is utter garbage to enthusiasts

I can put stock charts for both BMW and VW - and just show how bad it is. 100% laggard stocks....BMW stock has been lame since 2011
That happens to be the last year of the E90 sedan. Coincidence?

The E90 was fun... a lot of fun. The F30 felt like a 1992 Cadillac. Too much 'lifestyle brand,' not enough sport.

With possible exception of the M2, BMW is dead.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Who said it was a 992?
Old 01-29-2019, 05:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Porsche figured out how to cover up the hideous rear end of the 992 on the .2...
Who said it was a 992?
Sure seems like you did.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:53 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Sure seems like you did.

"On the .2". Miss that one??
Old 01-29-2019, 09:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Sure seems like you did.
I said they figured out a solution to cover up the ugliness of the 992, i.e., the device. I didn't say that car was a 992. I'm fully aware what that car is. Methinks people are seeing what they want to see, rather than actually reading the post.

Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.