Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 07:21 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Because in China they're pure consumers. Not creators or innovators.

"CHING CHANG CHONG, *floors it in in the rain". AHHHHHHHH *crash*"

Sounds about right.
That post pretty much says it all. (About the poster, that is.)
Old 12-21-2018, 07:21 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I doubt they'll sell any less for being so ugly anyway. Look at Toyota/Lexus they decided to start making every car as ugly as possible and they're still selling plenty. There are more people out there with bad taste than good.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:15 PM
DMDSpag
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Because in China they're pure consumers. Not creators or innovators.

"CHING CHANG CHONG, *floors it in in the rain". AHHHHHHHH *crash*"

Sounds about right.
I partly spit my beer out, halfway laughing at the mental image of your post, and partly because I’m willing to bet way more rednecks have crashed their mustangs at cars n coffee events. Ford might want to introduce this technology in their cars 😅
Old 12-21-2018, 09:46 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
...As for the GT cars, while they are certainly more enthusiast minded they are virtually unobtainable and out of reach financially for most.
Then buy a used one. The 997 GT3s are one hell of a car and at the lower end of their depreciation curve.

They won't have all the modern electro-mechanical features of the new cars, but that's the point.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:25 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
I think they are doing a great job listening to their customers. The Macan and Cayenne keep getting better with every iteration - Porsche is becoming excellent at building SUV's. The Panamera also seems to be a very good sedan. I don't have financial numbers, but my impression is that Porsche is doing very well and moving lots of cars and SUV's.

Is your complaint that they are not listening to US sports car drivers - that may be a valid complaint. But even then the release of the recent T models and GT cars indicates they are still catering to that niche customer segment.
Porsche sells more sedans and SUVs than sports cars. But, the reason people buy a Porsche anything is the mystique and allure of a “Porsche”. That can only be obtained by building something amazing and desirable. If Porsche turns the 911 into a Panamera coupe I fear eventually the mystique will wear off and folks won’t be so eager to throw down $ for Cayennes and Macans.

Remember how the Viper revitalized Dodge? Even though every other Dodge model was a complete turd, the association with the Viper helped sell cars.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:33 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 608 Likes on 291 Posts

As well as Porsche having a great racing heritage.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:47 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
Porsche sells more sedans and SUVs than sports cars. But, the reason people buy a Porsche anything is the mystique and allure of a “Porsche”. That can only be obtained by building something amazing and desirable. If Porsche turns the 911 into a Panamera coupe I fear eventually the mystique will wear off and folks won’t be so eager to throw down $ for Cayennes and Macans.

Remember how the Viper revitalized Dodge? Even though every other Dodge model was a complete turd, the association with the Viper helped sell cars.

Many buying a Porsche SUV, know little about the sports cars or care. They want the name. Porsche is marketing itself as a luxury goods company. No different that Birkin, Rolex, Gucci, etc ... They are a lifestyle brand as well. They don't rely on the 911 "mystique" to sell a Macan to a soccer Mom. At this point, many buyers shop the label (badge).

Go into many dealers and you barely even see a sports car anymore.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:52 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Many buying a Porsche SUV, know little about the sports cars or care. They want the name. Porsche is marketing itself as a luxury goods company. No different that Birkin, Gucci, etc ... They are a lifestyle brand as well. They don't rely on the 911 "mystique" to sell a Macan to a soccer Mom. At this point, many buyers shop the label (badge).
I disagree. They may buy the label but the reason that label is desireable in the first place is due to the reputation and history of the cars. Even soccer moms think “sports car” when the Porsche name is mentioned. If there’s no more true sports car on offer, it will dilute and diminish the brand.

Last edited by Bash Hat; 12-22-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:58 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
I disagree. They may buy the label but the reason that label is desireable in the first place is due to the reputation and history of the cars. Even soccer moms think “sports car” when the Porsche name is mentioned. If there’s no more true sports car on offer, it will dilute and diminish the brand.

How much you think Audi relies on the R8?

You are correct, it has gotten Porsche to this point, but will be less of a reliance in the future.

What will take Porsche down is the billions they're gambling on electric. Public opinions, government regulations, and agenda change with the weather and economic times. Could be a gamble that consumers never fully embrace.

I think the electric cars will greatly under perform.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:21 AM
FactoryMatt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

You are correct, it has gotten Porsche to this point, but will be less of a reliance in the future.

What will take Porsche down is the billions they're gambling on electric. Public opinions, government regulations, and agenda change with the weather and economic times. Could be a gamble that consumers never fully embrace.

Audi is currently struggling somewhat, and occupies a different position in the market. They never have and never will be viewed as a quasi-exotic like Porsche.

Agree on the electric stuff unless they really push simplicity and driver engagement, which they won't.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:22 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by STG
Many buying a Porsche SUV, know little about the sports cars or care. They want the name. Porsche is marketing itself as a luxury goods company. No different that Birkin, Rolex, Gucci, etc ... They are a lifestyle brand as well. They don't rely on the 911 "mystique" to sell a Macan to a soccer Mom. At this point, many buyers shop the label (badge).
Wtf is a Birkin? Is it similar to a Merkin?
Old 12-22-2018, 01:30 AM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator

Wtf is a Birkin? Is it similar to a Merkin?
Handbag by Hermès:-)
Old 12-22-2018, 02:46 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ccpecot

Handbag by Hermès:-)
Made out of vag hair??? Gross.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:24 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

All one needs to do is look at the advertising Porsche does for each marque. That will tell you exactly who they are reaching and what they are marketing those products as.

Porsche marketing is not a slouch organization. They know full well what they are doing.

As for your prediction that Porsche will fail due to its electric car gamble, you might look at what the whole auto industry is doing. Over $90 billon is pledged globally by the industry in the EV market. There is no choice. Governments are forcing the phase-out of internal combustion engines, either by outright bans in cities or regions or by taxing you out of them. At some point fuel will become so expensive that driving them (where allowed) will be a luxury.

I don't believe the "weather" nor "economic times" are going to derail the electric car and there is at least $90 billion dollars riding on that bet.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:56 AM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator

Made out of vag hair??? Gross.
No, no, I'm referring to Hermes, the high end French luxury brand. Their Birkin bags can cost as much as the 992.

Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.